d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Excercises > For Speed Building Purposes
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 655.00
Oct 1 2009 09:28pm
Quote (dreu21952006 @ Thu, Oct 1 2009, 10:25pm)
I can't quote either -.- Wtf..

Anyways... You don't have to like the song, I personally don't like the "song". But I can appreciate good guitar in any music. The guitar in the song is pretty damn cool imo.

But Idk what genres you like etc... So I won't recommend anymore songs lol.

no no no
tyvm for ur suggestion
when i listened to it
sounded farily easy and it was just repeat which i hate.

Quote (PSPZorZ @ Thu, Oct 1 2009, 10:23pm)
The problem with the current generation of guitarists is, all they want is speed.  They practice being super fast and they have horrible tone.  Instead of a precise and controlled picking motion, they're just rapidly move their wrist to hit as many notes as possible.  I'm not saying this is you, all I'm saying is, don't get so caught up with fast playing that you fail as a guitarist.  Try practicing the songs you want to learn at half speed (or slower if it is still too fast)... develop your tone, work and make every note sound clearly and you can slowly build up tempo over time.

what do u mean tone?

This post was edited by DeathDeception on Oct 1 2009 09:29pm
Gold: 194.00
Oct 1 2009 09:32pm
Tone meaning the clarity of the note. Often times when intermediate players try playing too quickly , the notes are slurred and very dirty.

Tone has has other meanings but I believe thats how he meant it in that post.

BFMV is a good bad to look into. I learned to play guitar based off of Metallica... Not all of their songs are purely about speed , some are rather difficult rhythms , and others just require that emotion not all guitarists can put in their music.

I also suggest JamCenter.com , I get bored and improv over them all the time.
Oct 1 2009 09:35pm
Quote (dreu21952006 @ Thu, Oct 1 2009, 10:32pm)
Tone meaning the clarity of the note. Often times when intermediate players try playing too quickly , the notes are slurred and very dirty.

BFMV is a good bad to look into. I learned to play guitar based off of Metallica... Not all of their songs are purely about speed , some are rather difficult rhythms , and others just require that emotion not all guitarists can put in their music.

im not good enough to improv.
Gold: 1.00
Oct 1 2009 09:42pm
Quote (PSPZorZ @ Thu, Oct 1 2009, 11:42pm)
Tone is the overall sound of a respective guitarists music.  You may notice that most famous guitarists you'll see videos of, they will always sound great when playing.  And then you might notice that some beginner guitarist is trying to play the same song made famous by a more skilled guitarist, and it sound horrible.  This is due to a great number of factors.  Obviously the guitar, amplifier, effects, strings, pick all affect how a guitar will sound in the end.  It is true that the beginners posting those videos might not have the same expensive equipment as the famous guitarists.  However another thing that will affect how a song sounds is a guitarists tone.  How they go about hitting the strings, how accurate they fret the guitar, the force that they hit the strings with, along with many other things.  A beginner would sound unpolished, their strumming is bound to be inconsistent.  Some strums might be louder, and some softer, and the beginner would not feel like he has as much control over it, but it simply takes practice and this will improve.  But in the end, if you set a beginner and a pro guitarist next to each other, with the exact same guitar/amp/etc and have them play a song, you will notice a huge difference in how the song sounds.  So one thing you must work on (in addition to speed, I understand that speed is important to you) is your tone.  Practice scales everyday, and try to keep your plucking of the strings at a consistent volume.  Try to keep an equal amount of time in between each note you play.  Practice changing up how loud you play depending on where you are in the song (At a peaceful part, strum gently, at a heavier part, hit the hell outta those strings)  This will help develop your tone and make you a better guitarist.  This will turn you from that beginner into that pro =)

Quote (dreu21952006 @ Thu, Oct 1 2009, 11:32pm)

Correct, that's how I was using it for my post, I went into a bit more detail of it but his is a more condensed definition for you DeathDeception!

This post was edited by PSPZorZ on Oct 1 2009 09:44pm
Oct 1 2009 09:48pm
Everyone is good enough to improv.

Improvisation isn't just about playing something good , its about getting into the music and playin through feeling.

On JamCenter , go under the key of A... select the "cool" backtrack. You can play the minor pentatonic any way you like and it will sound good.

As you get used to the scale ( I don't know your current skills level ) ... you will start changing it up , etc. JamCenter will have a scale chart available for every track you pick.

Just give it a go man.
Gold: 220.00
Oct 1 2009 09:51pm
that site is awesome
Gold: 1.00
Oct 1 2009 09:51pm
Quote (dreu21952006 @ Thu, Oct 1 2009, 11:48pm)
Everyone is good enough to improv.

Improvisation isn't just about playing something good , its about getting into the music and playin through feeling.

On JamCenter , go under the key of A... select the "cool" backtrack. You can play the minor pentatonic any way you like and it will sound good.

As you get used to the scale ( I don't know your current skills level ) ... you will start changing it up , etc. JamCenter will have a scale chart available for every track you pick.

Just give it a go man.

I agree that everyone is good enough to improv.
But I think what he means is he really doesn't know how to improv.
He never mentioned if he uses scales, and that's the key to improv =)

EDIT: actually I phail, cuz he mentioned scales in the first post >.<

This post was edited by PSPZorZ on Oct 1 2009 09:57pm
Oct 1 2009 09:54pm
the only scales i know is the uhh A minor Pentyatonic scale and the uhh

ya that one
Oct 1 2009 10:06pm
the minor pentantonic played in the key of A will work just fine.

try it out :).
Oct 1 2009 10:09pm
Heres a random improv I did over the same track I suggested for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8sjrGy5EyY
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll