d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Guitar Lessons
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Aug 9 2009 07:30pm
Quote (xReflectionsx @ Sun, Aug 9 2009, 08:00pm)
Once you get going and feel confident, I would recommend stop taking formal lessons and explore on your own.

It's one thing to be taught theory, but the problem is there is really no way for a teacher to only teach theoretically, and not impose some personal techniques and styles.

Over time your own creativity and ideas get limited cause you only know the way to play your instructor taught you.

Learn on your own and let your creativity flow!!!

Is this a serious answer? Theory is theory. There are no other way to do it. You can't change the circle of 5ths. Just like how you can't change the fact that a chord is based off of the Root 2 3. If you want straight theory, take a music class in school. You won't learn any technique, and just learn theory (obviously you should be playing on the side).

And really, I'd suggest a classical guitarist if you really want to learn the guitar.
Gold: 15.00
Aug 9 2009 07:53pm
Quote (rustyo486 @ Sun, Aug 9 2009, 08:30pm)
Is this a serious answer? Theory is theory. There are no other way to do it. You can't change the circle of 5ths. Just like how you can't change the fact that a chord is based off of the Root 2 3. If you want straight theory, take a music class in school. You won't learn any technique, and just learn theory (obviously you should be playing on the side).

And really, I'd suggest a classical guitarist if you really want to learn the guitar.

I agree with this. If you are just taking a class to learn theory, that will help in the beginning, but getting lessons from some failed blues-guitarist teaching you progressions is a waste of time imo.

I'm talking about learning songs and writing music.
Aug 9 2009 08:05pm
Quote (xReflectionsx @ Mon, Aug 10 2009, 01:53am)
I agree with this. If you are just taking a class to learn theory, that will help in the beginning, but getting lessons from some failed blues-guitarist teaching you progressions is a waste of time imo.

I'm talking about learning songs and writing music.

yea, but thank god blues guitar (electric or acoustic) is really where it's at for a guitarist. I mean, who hear could honestly say they can easily play Buddy Guy songs? Solos included?
Aug 9 2009 08:11pm
Quote (rustyo486 @ Sun, Aug 9 2009, 09:05pm)
yea, but thank god blues guitar (electric or acoustic) is really where it's at for a guitarist. I mean, who hear could honestly say they can easily play Buddy Guy songs? Solos included?

True, but you can say that about ANY genre of music.
Aug 10 2009 01:01pm
I took like 5-10 lessons when I first started, You'll be able to notice when the basics are over and they are just trying to teach you stuff you can do yourself.
Aug 12 2009 12:08pm
Quote (x]FoRsaKeN[x @ Mon, Aug 10 2009, 02:01pm)
I took like 5-10 lessons when I first started, You'll be able to notice when the basics are over and they are just trying to teach you stuff you can do yourself.

Exactly
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll