d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Pickup Upgrades > Which Is Better
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 220.00
Jul 20 2009 08:01pm
try it out. pick ups have low resale value (a set of 200 + dollar emgs resell at less than 100)

they will have blackouts, jb/59 (ive never seen this combo), jb/jazz, emgs
Gold: 124.00
Jul 20 2009 08:15pm
Quote (aokmaster15 @ Mon, Jul 20 2009, 09:01pm)
try it out. pick ups have low resale value (a set of 200 + dollar emgs resell at less than 100)

they will have blackouts, jb/59 (ive never seen this combo), jb/jazz, emgs

link to schecter guitarwith jb/59 combo

http://www.schecterguitars.com/?gclid=CPLrvazc5ZsCFRghDQodNEb13w
Jul 20 2009 09:13pm
just heard tests for

blackouts vs 8185

sounds like the blackouts kick the emgs ass

edit just watched some more and now im definetly not sure.

the problem is im not sure how the 2 will sound in my personal guitar due to the wood type.basswood.

i listened to a demo on a bassword guitar and some parts sound better with different types.

the blackouts definetly sound more full on cleans.

This post was edited by Dirty_monkeyz on Jul 20 2009 09:20pm
Jul 21 2009 04:26pm
Active pickups will be less impacted by wood. Or rather wood will impact active pups less. Passives use the wood tone to its advantage and give it different character. The truth is your pick ups will have little impact on your tone. They are just polish on an already good tone. It wont take you from mediocre tone to awesome bone crushing metal.
Jul 21 2009 06:28pm
Quote (aokmaster15 @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 05:26pm)
Active pickups will be less impacted by wood. Or rather wood will impact active pups less. Passives use the wood tone to its advantage and give it different character. The truth is your pick ups will have little impact on your tone. They are just polish on an already good tone. It wont take you from mediocre tone to awesome bone crushing metal.

i have passive emg h4 right now which i ontinue to hear are shit,

well im either spending the 200 on blackouts

or on a new amp.

and my guess is a 200 amp will be shit
Gold: 3.00
Jul 21 2009 07:07pm
Quote (Darkshade @ Sun, Jul 19 2009, 08:34pm)
Yet you don't know what you're talking about are you? EMGs have a very good tone if you're aiming to play metal only because I agree that the CLEAN tone is shit. Otherwise, they are really good. No I'm not new to guitar and no my favorite band is not someone endorsed by EMG.

Seriously, everyone on these forums is bashing on EMGs yet they have a better tone than A LOT of the dimarzios/SD with their high gain outputs.

They sound awful for metal, they're generic over-done distortion. Unless you have post amp EQ they either sound like mud, or too crisp. They're really only for people who just want to play heavy music, who don't care about tone. I.e. new metal kids, deathcore kids, hardcore, etc etc.

Quote (wh0racLe @ Sun, Jul 19 2009, 08:40pm)
i wouldnt listen to him LOL he also said that palm-muting while you sweep pick is a noob technique.

I apologize I'm talented enough to do it with proper technique - using my fret hand. It must be frustrating though, not being able to do it. I can see why you'd be mad. Only someone truly upset about his short comings would attempt to insult someone over technique, :rofl:
Jul 21 2009 07:20pm
Quote (Makemetalmusic @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 09:07pm)
They sound awful for metal, they're generic over-done distortion. Unless you have post amp EQ they either sound like mud, or too crisp. They're really only for people who just want to play heavy music, who don't care about tone. I.e. new metal kids, deathcore kids, hardcore, etc etc.

I have a feeling you havent really played emgs. Emgs have good tone, they are a bit compressed but the 18v mod fixes that.
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Jul 21 2009 07:49pm
Quote (Makemetalmusic @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 09:07pm)

It seems that you don't know what you're talking about, and likely haven't worked with properly installed EMGs in a good guitar with a good amp. You don't need a post amp EQ to make EMGs sound good, you just need to know how to set up your amp, and have a decent amp. It's easy to get a overly muddy or crisp sound with any setup, and if you know what you are doing, it's not very hard to avoid both extremes. A lot of incompetent players use them and get a muddy tone because they aren't looking for a clear tone or they simply don't know how to set their gear up. A lot of respectable players use EMGs and get a great tone, and it can be done with gear that can be found in pretty much any store.
Jul 21 2009 07:51pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 08:49pm)
It seems that you don't know what you're talking about, and likely haven't worked with properly installed EMGs in a good guitar with a good amp.  You don't need a post amp EQ to make EMGs sound good, you just need to know how to set up your amp, and have a decent amp.  It's easy to get a overly muddy or crisp sound with any setup, and if you know what you are doing, it's not very hard to avoid both extremes.  A lot of incompetent players use them and get a muddy tone because they aren't looking for a clear tone or they simply don't know how to set their gear up.  A lot of respectable players use EMGs and get a great tone, and it can be done with gear that can be found in pretty much any store.

way to get off topic guys.
Gold: 3.00
Jul 21 2009 07:52pm
Quote (aokmaster15 @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 06:20pm)
I have a feeling you havent really played emgs. Emgs have good tone, they are a bit compressed but the 18v mod fixes that.

Quote (Zodijackyl @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 06:49pm)
It seems that you don't know what you're talking about, and likely haven't worked with properly installed EMGs in a good guitar with a good amp.  You don't need a post amp EQ to make EMGs sound good, you just need to know how to set up your amp, and have a decent amp.  It's easy to get a overly muddy or crisp sound with any setup, and if you know what you are doing, it's not very hard to avoid both extremes.  A lot of incompetent players use them and get a muddy tone because they aren't looking for a clear tone or they simply don't know how to set their gear up.  A lot of respectable players use EMGs and get a great tone, and it can be done with gear that can be found in pretty much any store.

I own a schecter c-1 hellraiser FR, stock emg 81/85. Had it for 3 years. I know what I'm talking about. I don't know any respectable musicians whom use EMG's - apart from Zakk Wylde - but he prefers Gibson 57's for most of his recording process anyways. My amp isn't that great, but I've played out of several VERY nice amps, including a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier, and EMG has yet to impress me. Duncan and Gibson pickups have the best tones, imo. EMG's are a scene kids wet dream, you can sound like any deathcore band easily.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll