d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Show Pics Of Your Gear! > Yeah
Prev1195196197198199340Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,786.00
May 4 2011 09:25am
Quote (weasleface @ May 4 2011 07:55am)
12 strings are awesome. Seems they would be really hard to pluck string for string though :P

guess they are mainly for chords.

I remember when I first got it, picking was a problem even though I was adequate with regular 6 string guitars. After a while though, it became pretty easy. But yeah, 12 strings are best for chords, but playing riffs with 12 string guitars is pretty nice as well (Hotel Califronia being a good example).
Gold: 5,268.80
May 4 2011 09:32am
Quote (x]FoRsaKeN[x @ 4 May 2011 07:00)
DUDE THATS AWESOME

I love guitars that are in that burst, my les paul is like that, and my fender srv. and a 63 fender :drool:

Ty dude ;)
Quote (DeepPurple @ 4 May 2011 10:44)
Nice collection man looks really versatile.

Cheers - it's fairly versatile, but there's not one floyd rose or locking knut in the collection so thats next.
Quote (Godest @ 4 May 2011 14:29)
Out of all the guitars, and instruments for that matter, that I own, my Gisbon Epiphone 12 string guitar is still my favorite by far :o I've had this for like 6+ years now.

http://i51.tinypic.com/334udrt.png

I hate Epiphone, but I do love 12 strings. One of the most amazing 12 string songs i've heard is Rude Mood & Scuttle Buttin by Stevie Ray Vaughan on the mtv unplugged - it's amazing.
May 4 2011 09:37am
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ May 4 2011 08:32am)
Ty dude ;)

Cheers - it's fairly versatile, but there's not one floyd rose or locking knut in the collection so thats next.

I hate Epiphone, but I do love 12 strings. One of the most amazing 12 string songs i've heard is Rude Mood & Scuttle Buttin by Stevie Ray Vaughan on the mtv unplugged - it's amazing.

I own one actual Gibson guitar, and my friend owns a couple himself, and IMO the quality of Epiphone compared to Gibson is not that far off. In fact, per dollar, I would say Epiphone is better in that regard. Of course a Gibson is still a Gibson.
Gold: 36.00
May 4 2011 12:47pm
Quote (Godest @ May 4 2011 08:37am)
I own one actual Gibson guitar, and my friend owns a couple himself, and IMO the quality of Epiphone compared to Gibson is not that far off.  In fact, per dollar, I would say Epiphone is better in that regard.  Of course a Gibson is still a Gibson.

I own several gibsons (3), and have owned LOTS of epi's, and that is a pretty inaccurate statement...the playability, sound, and just overall craftsmanship is heads over epiphone. My current number one is a Gibson SG Standard, the other guy in my band uses an epi g400, and there is no comparison at all, sound/playability/looks none of it competes..... to someone that is not all that experienced with guitars they would seem pretty comparable and have "similar" (a gratuitous use of similar at that) tone and looks, but you can easily tell the epi is a generic copy of a real gibson, and with more experience you start to see all the little differences add up..... not counting just the fact that the basic materials used are vastly different between the two...... I have been playing guitar for 16 years so it's not like I just started a few years ago and want to be a douche.... plus why not support American made guitars, you get better guitars + better resale value in the future since they quality and value stands up over time... put it this way you buy an epiphone g400 for $299 brand new, as soon as you have it, you can guarantee that the resale value of that instrument is immediately halved, where as with a nice usa made guitar you are going keep a good 80% of it's overall value, not counting that some models become collectible and MORE valuable over time, where as that same chinese bang for your buck guitar continues to depreciate and fall apart to the point where you see people throwing them away since the binding has fallen off, the scarf joint at the neck has separated, large amounts of finish cracking due to the damn near an inch think poly coat as opposed to a nitro finish, and the list goes on...
May 4 2011 04:03pm
Quote (Automatica @ May 4 2011 11:47am)
I own several gibsons (3), and have owned LOTS of epi's, and that is a pretty inaccurate statement...the playability, sound, and just overall craftsmanship is heads over epiphone.  My current number one is a Gibson SG Standard, the other guy in my band uses an epi g400, and there is no comparison at all, sound/playability/looks none of it competes..... to someone that is not all that experienced with guitars they would seem pretty comparable and have "similar" (a gratuitous use of similar at that) tone and looks, but you can easily tell the epi is a generic copy of a real gibson, and with more experience you start to see all the little differences add up..... not counting just the fact that the basic materials used are vastly different between the two...... I have been playing guitar for 16 years so it's not like I just started a few years ago and want to be a douche.... plus why not support American made guitars, you get better guitars + better resale value in the future since they quality and value stands up over time... put it this way you buy an epiphone g400 for $299 brand new, as soon as you have it, you can guarantee that the resale value of that instrument is immediately halved, where as with a nice usa made guitar you are going keep a good 80% of it's overall value, not counting that some models become collectible and MORE valuable over time, where as that same chinese bang for your buck guitar continues to depreciate and fall apart to the point where you see people throwing them away since the binding has fallen off, the scarf joint at the neck has separated, large amounts of finish cracking due to the damn near an inch think poly coat as opposed to a nitro finish, and the list goes on...

What did I say? I didn't say Epiphone was better, in fact, if I had all the moeny, I would of course buy Gibsons 24/7 over Epiphones. But I'm a college student and I have a wife, both drain my money. So considering what is best for my money, Epiphone has worked wonders for me. Now I have only played 2 or 3 Epiphone guitars, mine included, so I can't say how Epiphone is in general, but I have played many different Gibson guitars from around the world, especially at my mother's old music connection in Japan who used to own a small record label in Japan so he has a room full of expensive guitars, mainly Gibsons, so I definitely know the quality of Gibson guitars.

I'm not going to continually pay 1000-2000+ dollars right now for sound that can be replicated adequately for just a few hundred.
Gold: 0.00
May 4 2011 04:25pm
Quote (Godest @ May 4 2011 06:03pm)
What did I say? I didn't say Epiphone was better, in fact, if I had all the moeny, I would of course buy Gibsons 24/7 over Epiphones. But I'm a college student and I have a wife, both drain my money. So considering what is best for my money, Epiphone has worked wonders for me. Now I have only played 2 or 3 Epiphone guitars, mine included, so I can't say how Epiphone is in general, but I have played many different Gibson guitars from around the world, especially at my mother's old music connection in Japan who used to own a small record label in Japan so he has a room full of expensive guitars, mainly Gibsons, so I definitely know the quality of Gibson guitars.

I'm not going to continually pay 1000-2000+ dollars right now for sound that can be replicated adequately for just a few hundred.

I think what he's saying is that Gibson Guitars are far above the quality of Epiphone guitars.

I don't have personal experience with this, was just trying to translate a little.

This post was edited by weasleface on May 4 2011 04:25pm
May 4 2011 04:43pm
Quote (weasleface @ May 4 2011 03:25pm)
I think what he's saying is that Gibson Guitars are far above the quality of Epiphone guitars.

I don't have personal experience with this, was just trying to translate a little.

I know that is what he is saying, which is always a personal preference in a end, but to go the other way and say Epiphone is horrendous, again a person preference, that is just as silly to say.
Gold: 5,268.80
May 5 2011 02:27am
Quote (Automatica @ 4 May 2011 18:47)
I own several gibsons (3), and have owned LOTS of epi's, and that is a pretty inaccurate statement...the playability, sound, and just overall craftsmanship is heads over epiphone.  My current number one is a Gibson SG Standard, the other guy in my band uses an epi g400, and there is no comparison at all, sound/playability/looks none of it competes..... to someone that is not all that experienced with guitars they would seem pretty comparable and have "similar" (a gratuitous use of similar at that) tone and looks, but you can easily tell the epi is a generic copy of a real gibson, and with more experience you start to see all the little differences add up..... not counting just the fact that the basic materials used are vastly different between the two...... I have been playing guitar for 16 years so it's not like I just started a few years ago and want to be a douche.... plus why not support American made guitars, you get better guitars + better resale value in the future since they quality and value stands up over time... put it this way you buy an epiphone g400 for $299 brand new, as soon as you have it, you can guarantee that the resale value of that instrument is immediately halved, where as with a nice usa made guitar you are going keep a good 80% of it's overall value, not counting that some models become collectible and MORE valuable over time, where as that same chinese bang for your buck guitar continues to depreciate and fall apart to the point where you see people throwing them away since the binding has fallen off, the scarf joint at the neck has separated, large amounts of finish cracking due to the damn near an inch think poly coat as opposed to a nitro finish, and the list goes on...

<3 Thank you for saying what I couldn't be arsed to say <3
Gold: 116.00
May 5 2011 10:31am
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ 27 Apr 2011 16:15)
Yeah - perfect example is in the pic above. The Fender Telecaster has very finely spaced strings, so you can get some serious alternate picking going on, and the Ibanez has the strings really spread out, bit more so than the SG so it's a different feel of guitar. However, as far as feel goes, the Gibson > all.

I used to hate Fender, mainly because of the Fender Strat being the only guitar people recognised, and the colours they have are just awful alot of the time. However, since i've had my Gibson i've started to appreciate fender, hence my 2 :D

I really, really want a Tele...
Time to start saving!
Gold: 0.00
May 5 2011 11:00am
Tell me what ya think.

All my intruments. From left to right. Ibanez Talman Custom, 150+ year old violin (my great grandfather used to play it), Yamaha F150, The Flatiron Mandolin (my mom used to play it way back when), Alverez RD-20SC, and my Washburn X-50 Pro (Seymour Duncan Pickups). Keyboard is a M-Audio Axiom 49 2nd generation, and the other thing laying there is a Viola in need of some serious work lol

My Current Setup. Sterling Audio ST66 Tube Mic, Presonus Firestudio Project, Cubase 5, and a M-Audio 2nd Gen Axiom 49 Midi keyboard

Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev1195196197198199340Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll