d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Just Started Playing Mandolin
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8.03
Mar 12 2013 06:11pm
Quote (juliusjuice @ Mar 11 2013 01:24pm)
love to see new people getting into mandolin! ive played bluegrass/etc for about 12 years, actively in the live music scene. bluegrass is great because you can play anything with anyone without the need for amplification. ive got a collings MT (for me nothing out there compares to a collings -they are worth the money!). best advice for mandolin: develop at least semi-proper technique! your picking hand is very important. mandolin requires a different dexterity than guitar (metal heads eat your heart out). i played with poor right hand position for years and finally corrected it 5 years ago (took over a year to be 100% comfortable). if you get stressed, take a break! good luck!

as for inspiration there are a lot of good mando players out there. mumford and sons are great, their mando player doesnt really stand out to me. i suggest:
infamous stringdusters
chris thile
mike marshall
and my favorite, david "dawg" grisman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Aq4zNJL3g

Mumford & Sons' mandolin player is Marcus Mumford, who only plays Mandolin on a few songs. Mind you, he plays guitar, kick drum, kick tambourine and vocals all at the same time. Mandolin isn't his forte :P
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll