d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > What Do You Think Of These Guys?
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 22,202.22
Aug 19 2012 08:25pm
Quote (Ions @ Aug 19 2012 02:25pm)
Of course, But how can someone find tool creative and not find AAL creative? they are both progressive.

oPo - yea im going to learn CAFO on my kit, it's such a good piece. I have played it probably 50+ times in the last 3 days.

creative and listenable are two different things.
Gold: 1,470.51
Aug 19 2012 08:26pm
Quote (heyunloving145 @ Aug 20 2012 02:12am)
I fucking love thrice XD
Anyways, I remember these guys, they were interesting and talented to say the least.  It was crazy to watch, mainly because I've never heard anything like it lol

I wouldn't say their song composition is horrible, they've obviously mapped out these songs/time signatures.  I didn't really dig them completely as well, but mostly because if I try to follow the time sigs, it just goes over my head

also completely understandable with the time signature jumps, Personally, the key to figuring out the time is following the drummer.
Gold: 4,768.80
Aug 20 2012 02:04am
Quote (Ions @ 19 Aug 2012 17:08)
Care to link me to something you find creative?

Sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0zy0lqpOyc
Gold: 22,202.22
Aug 20 2012 10:09am
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Aug 20 2012 03:04am)

lol @ posting a cover song as an example of something creative. i mean, im sure he added his own touch to it, etc, but its still a cover.

heres something that i would consider to be creative as well as listenable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLLYt-2SaZ8

to me anyway, music is about more than just being creative and putting together something intricate that takes skill to play. changing complex time signatures all the time, etc, might take skill, but it doesnt necessarily make good music. while i listened to the AAL song again, and it wasnt as bad as i first thought, its mostly just staccato hammering away at the guitar. that might create a good rhythm, but its still missing that listenability quality of good music, especially if its so complex that it loses its sense of flowing. (imo.) there were a few places where they held some notes a little longer, especially towards the end, and those passages weren't as bad. i could almost like them. the sustained notes helped make it more cohesive, connecting everything together. without that, though, it just sounds like a bunch of noise. not that noise cant be musical, though. one of my favorites is a remix of nine inch nail's mr self destruct. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLLYt-2SaZ8 (skip to 2:55). the ending spirals into a mad cacophony of noise, but theres enough cohesiveness to keep it within the range of music. now THAT takes skill. anyone can hammer away randomly on a guitar. to be able to take that and turn it into real listenable music is what takes real skill.
Aug 20 2012 10:30am
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Aug 20 2012 08:04am)

hmmm...

it started to get boring after awhile, i liked it, but id have to be in a particular mood to wanna listen to it.
Aug 20 2012 03:25pm
Quote (Ions @ 20 Aug 2012 17:30)
hmmm...

it started to get boring after awhile, i liked it, but id have to be in a particular mood to wanna listen to it.

Let me ask, what are your top 3 bands/artists? Do you play any instruments?
Aug 20 2012 05:20pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Aug 20 2012 09:25pm)
Let me ask, what are your top 3 bands/artists? Do you play any instruments?

Top 3? I'm not sure if i could do that. The band that i have loved the most/longest is Tool.

And yes, i'm a musician, i sing, and i'v been playing the drums for 12 years.

It seems that you're having a hard time accepting my opinion, because you feel the need to question me.
Aug 21 2012 02:13am
Quote (Ions @ 21 Aug 2012 00:20)
Top 3? I'm not sure if i could do that. The band that i have loved the most/longest is Tool.

And yes, i'm a musician, i sing, and i'v been playing the drums for 12 years.

It seems that you're having a hard time accepting my opinion, because you feel the need to question me.

I was merely questioning your taste. And glad you are a musician aswell - as a drummer I now clearly see why you are bias to AAL and Tool. Tis a shame.
Aug 21 2012 09:41am
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Aug 21 2012 08:13am)
I was merely questioning your taste. And glad you are a musician aswell - as a drummer I now clearly see why you are bias to AAL and Tool. Tis a shame.

it has nothing to do with bias..... you seem to have this notion that I can only like 1 particular genre of music. Well, you are horribly mistaken.
Aug 21 2012 09:54am
Quote (Ions @ 21 Aug 2012 16:41)
it has nothing to do with bias..... you seem to have this notion that I can only like 1 particular genre of music. Well, you are horribly mistaken.

Where did that come in? Where did I say that? You need to stop spamming my forum. It's getting annoying, and again, you are posting this shite in the wrong place. This is for musicians - not for songs.

Quote (ReturnFormer @ 20 Aug 2012 17:09)
lol @ posting a cover song as an example of something creative.  i mean, im sure he added his own touch to it, etc, but its still a cover.

heres something that i would consider to be creative as well as listenable.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLLYt-2SaZ8

to me anyway, music is about more than just being creative and putting together something intricate that takes skill to play.  changing complex time signatures all the time, etc, might take skill, but it doesnt necessarily make good music.  while i listened to the AAL song again, and it wasnt as bad as i first thought, its mostly just staccato hammering away at the guitar.  that might create a good rhythm, but its still missing that listenability quality of good music, especially if its so complex that it loses its sense of flowing. (imo.)  there were a few places where they held some notes a little longer, especially towards the end, and those passages weren't as bad.  i could almost like them.  the sustained notes helped make it more cohesive, connecting everything together.  without that, though, it just sounds like a bunch of noise.  not that noise cant be musical, though. one of my favorites is a remix of nine inch nail's mr self destruct.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLLYt-2SaZ8 (skip to 2:55).  the ending spirals into a mad cacophony of noise, but theres enough cohesiveness to keep it within the range of music.  now THAT takes skill.  anyone can hammer away randomly on a guitar.  to be able to take that and turn it into real listenable music is what takes real skill.

So the extra 6 minutes of music Stevie makes is not creative. KK
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll