d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Interested In Maybe Buying A First Guitar
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 16,289.87
Apr 4 2012 10:29pm
Wow, this is a ton of information. I've been looking at it as soon as I saw your posts, I appreciate all of this information and taking in as much as possible before the guitar gets shipped in. Starting to understand the tabs from the basic stand point, pretty simple but putting them onto the guitar is going to be a whole new thing. I'm trying to do one thing at a time from the guides posted to the items blunder posted about what to learn. Thank you so much for this information and if you have more feel more then welcome to post it up :)

I'll keep you guys all updated on my progress and pm you if i have more specific type of questions! Wow, thanks again :) This is gonna be fun!

This post was edited by Trev on Apr 4 2012 10:29pm
Gold: 4,768.80
Apr 5 2012 06:17am
Acoustic is best to start with, not electric. Acoustic gives you an understanding of more important aspects of the guitar, whereas the common issue with electric first is everyone wants to be a shredder, everyone wants to be the lead, and tbh, without rhythm you got nothing so start acoustic.

Encore do some great instruments, Yamaha, Washburn, Fender and all of them can be found for under $250
Apr 6 2012 09:39pm
Just got my guitar!
I'm using an app to tune the thing, the four middle keys sound great and the E's on the outside sound funky at this point. However I'm just trying basic stuff like hitting the frats 1,2,3,4 and keeping my fingers close to the guitar with one string. Once I get that down i'm going to start moving down as I get done with each string and back up or vis versa.

Gotta say my forearm is getting a burn on this lmao, it's pretty tough to get my fingers in some of these positions but I'm having fun doing this especially when I hit all four correctly (Not happening that often cause pressing down to light and its liKE BLAHHH)
Apr 7 2012 02:09am
Ya'll knew it was coming

TREV!! As you have just started playing - here is a must-learn song for you. Learning this song will help you make chords, help change them quicker, and train your fingers to remember where they go

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/a/animals/house_of_the_rising_sun_crd.htm

Uses what I consider to be the most important chords in acoustic guitar / songwriting, and this will give you a headstart on guitar in general. The next step after this is possibly to look at Grades 1 - 5 of guitar, i believe it's called RockSchool Guitar Grades.

Lemme know if you try this out :D
Gold: 0.00
Apr 7 2012 11:37am
get a Fender Stratocaster ( Made in Mexico) for less than 500$. If you go on craigslist, you can probably snag one for even cheaper, like 300-400$

Gold: 0.00
Apr 7 2012 12:46pm
Quote (Trev @ Apr 6 2012 11:39pm)
Just got my guitar!
I'm using an app to tune the thing, the four middle keys sound great and the E's on the outside sound funky at this point. However I'm just trying basic stuff like hitting the frats 1,2,3,4 and keeping my fingers close to the guitar with one string. Once I get that down i'm going to start moving down as I get done with each string and back up or vis versa.

Gotta say my forearm is getting a burn on this lmao, it's pretty tough to get my fingers in some of these positions but I'm having fun doing this especially when I hit all four correctly (Not happening that often cause pressing down to light and its liKE BLAHHH)

sooner or later your fingers will start to hurt REALLY bad, i mean like even a few minutes of playing will be unbearable... you should play every day though, im not sure you build up callouses or the tips of your fingrees just sort of die, but give it a month or two of playing every day, and you wont even really notice. I can play my acoustic for like 4-5 hours before i notice any kind of real discomfort now :/

it will hurt though :/ and as soon as you think your fingers are good to go, youll try to learn a song that has a bend, and that finger will hurt alot for awhile, or if you practice something that has alot of pulloffs, your fingers will really start to hurt also :/

to speed up the process though, this is something you should learn to do early on

e--------------------------------------------------------------------------5-----5-8-5-8-||----85----5---------------------------------------------------------------------------
B--------------------------------------------------------5-----5-8-5-8------8------------||--------8------8585--------5-----------------------------------------------------------
G---------------------------------------5----5-7-5-7-----7-------------------------------||-------------------------7-------7575------5-------------------------------------------
D-----------------------5----5-7-5-7----7-----------------------------------------------||--------------------------------------------7------7575----5---------------------------
A-------5----5-7-5-7----7---------------------------------------------------------------||-----------------------------------------------------------7-----7575-----5-------------
E---5-8---8------------------------------------------------------------------------------||--------------------------------------------------------------------------8------8585----

this exercize helped me alot when i was just starting, and it will give you an intro into the pentatonic scale so thats good

another good excersize, might as well start you off quickly, is chord changing

these chords are listed from low e string, to high e string, the numbers are where to fret, the x's mean muted - which is either not strummed, or muted... which youll learn to do sooner or later
EADGBe
xxxxxx

xx0232 -D
022100 -E
xx321x -F
x02220 -A
x32010 -C
320003 -G
X244XX -B

now this is what you need to do, will give you a good start into alot of songs and things as well. Play like this I IV V, that means pick a chord, then play its 4th, and its 5th, ill list them out for you to make it easier, you should practice all of these though, its a good excercise, and it will prepare you for MANY songs, and thats how it is on guitar usually, by the time you finally get 1 song down pat, there will be another 10 that you can play because those songs use the same chords/scales etc.

A-D-E-A
D-A-G-D
G-C-D-G
C-F-G-C
E-A-B-E

learn all of these progressions... you will see these chord changes ALOT.

at first you will have alot of trouble with chords, you will get better, the best way to learn to switch chords is just to do it... for instance C and G, just go back and forth between them over and over till you can do it pretty fast - it will take a few days though, then do that same thing with D and G, and E and A, etc etc but run through those little chord progressiosn too, because its the most common progression out there

lastly, dont rush too much, your fingers are gonna hurt, and alot of the first few weeks of playing is just getting your fingers beaten up enough so that you can actually practice..
Gold: 22,408.75
Apr 7 2012 01:03pm
I'd Yamaha too. I got a classical guitar to start, then electric, then this Yamaha, and thats when i really started to pick up. Good for fingers strength and i think it sounds nicer.
Apr 7 2012 01:29pm
Quote (Floppyduck @ 7 Apr 2012 17:37)
get a Fender Stratocaster ( Made in Mexico) for less than 500$. If you go on craigslist, you can probably snag one for even cheaper, like 300-400$

My uncle just got one for £180 :O Literally last week lol
Apr 9 2012 04:34pm
Woh, Didn't see all these posts! Lmao, I'm going to have to read more into these but my question right at this moment is how the hell do I properly tune this? I'm using a Tuner G-Strings app on my phone and I swear once I get them set they just sound like 1-2 of them off from the rest and i change them, then 2 more sound funky. How should I do this?
Apr 9 2012 04:57pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Apr 7 2012 02:09am)
Ya'll knew it was coming

TREV!! As you have just started playing - here is a must-learn song for you. Learning this song will help you make chords, help change them quicker, and train your fingers to remember where they go

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/a/animals/house_of_the_rising_sun_crd.htm

Uses what I consider to be the most important chords in acoustic guitar / songwriting, and this will give you a headstart on guitar in general. The next step after this is possibly to look at Grades 1 - 5 of guitar, i believe it's called RockSchool Guitar Grades.

Lemme know if you try this out :D

Should I get the Tab Pro?
Two buddies also suggested this site for a song I want to learn in the future, maybe its a sign :P
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll