d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Learning New Guitar Chords. > Guitar Players Come Plz.
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 60.01
Gold: 3,152.00
Aug 3 2011 10:45am
Quote (Me2NiK @ Aug 3 2011 05:35am)
000230 is a very strangely inverted Dsus2 or a very strangely inverted Asus4. If you want Asus4, drop it to x00230 (or x02230); if you want Dsus2, drop it to xx0230. Given that you are playing an E bass, it is also possible that you are looking for E7sus (E A B D -- in open position, 020200, or 020230; there are many, many possible ways to play this chord outside of root position so I just gave you two root voicings.)

This is a Cmaj#11b9, an unusual chord indeed. It is not often that you see a b9 in a major chord.

E C# E B B E Is your first chord, making it an E6 of some kind; it has no third so it can be major or minor. You may consider voicing this 022x20. Or, replace the x with a 1 for E6 or a 0 for EMi6. You can also turn this into a 6/9 by playing 0x2122 or just xx2122 if you have a bassist.
E B F# B B E is your second chord. This is a strangely voiced Esus2 chord (this thread is full of those) or an exceptionally strangely voiced Bsus4 chord. You may want to note that this voicing is a little bit muddled because you have a cycle of fifths going on on the three bass strings.
E B D# B B E is your third chord. This is an EMaj7 chord of some kind; like your E6 it has no third. You can turn this into an EMaj7 (021100/02110x) or an EMiMaj7 (021000/02100x). There is tonnes more that you can do with this if you add in extensions.

Your Cadd9#11 has no third which is fine, but if you want one you can do x32032. You also have your #11 in a strange place in that F#Maj7#11 chord (it's producing a tritone with the octave root) on top of again having no third.. Also your last chord isn't a Bsus4; it's a B majorAdd11. 8 on the third string is a D#.

Quote (Bloody_hand @ Aug 1 2011 12:53pm)
X02410 - A minor add9

X34032 - C add9 #11, or just kind of a C lydian chord.

133400 - F maj7 #11

X24252 - B 7sus4

799800 - B sus4

The second one might be difficult to finger depending on your finger dexterity but these are some of my favorites.

Oh :D

133200 - F maj7 #11

That's what it should be :lol:
Gold: 0.00
Aug 3 2011 09:19pm
try to play "Bossanova" using a lot of them! is very good for you... this kinda song is brazilan's song!
Gold: 518.50
Aug 4 2011 02:25am
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Aug 3 2011 08:27am)
Man i'd love to know all of these chords and WHY they are the chords they are etc <_<

Ideally, I want to know more chords so I can blues jam :D

Chords are incredibly easy to deduce assuming you have an understanding of how keys work. Notably, you need to understand that if you play a C major scale and an F major scale, they follow the same pattern (TTSTTTS) just starting on different notes. Chords work the same way: An F major chord and a C major chord are constructed out of the same pattern, they are just starting on different notes.

All diatonic (diatonic means that each note letter appears only once; by this logic a diatonic chord can have no more than seven notes) chords can be derived from a scale. This is a sort of arduous process but it makes understanding chords easier. A triad, the most basic kind of chord, consists of three notes (hence the name triad). The major triad is probably the most well-known sound in music; it consists of a root, a major third, and a perfect fifth. You can drive this from the major scale pretty easily by taking the root, third and fifth of any major scale. I'll do it from C and Ab, just as proof of concept.

Code
C D E F G A B
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C major chord - C E G

Ab Bb C Db Eb F G
1  2  3 4  5  6 7
Ab major chord - Ab C Eb

If you already knew this, that's good; if you don't get it, don't worry about it yet but it's important information to know.

You may have observed that a major chord consists of two notes a major third apart then two notes a minor third apart. This is another way of deriving a chord that some people find faster.
Given that information, here's a list of common diatonic chords, how they would appear in C major, and what scale degrees they would consist of. I also tabbed out how you can play the chord (if it were in C) in root position; you can move these fingerings around the neck to play it with different roots.

I didn't include slash chords as slash chords are just chords made out of either two chords or one chord and a colour tone.
You should also note that sus and sus4 mean the same thing, but sus and sus2 do not.

Major - C E G - 1 3 5 (x35553)
Minor - C Eb G - 1 b3 5 (x35543)
Sus - C F G - 1 4 5 (x35563)
Sus2 - C D G - 1 2 5 (x35533)
Dim - C Eb Gb - 1 b3 b5 (x3454x)
Aug - C E G# - 1 3 #5 (x36553)
6 - C E G A - 1 3 5 6 (x35555)
Mi6 - C Eb G A - 1 b3 5 6 (x35545)
7 - C E G Bb - 1 3 5 b7 (x35353 or x3231x; it is important to know both of these voicings)
Ma7 - C E G B - 1 3 5 7 (x35453)
Mi7 - C Eb G Bb - 1 b3 5 b7 (x35343)
MiMa7 - C Eb G B - 1 b3 5 7 (x35443)
*Mi7b5 - C Eb Gb Bb - 1 b3 b5 b7 (x3434x)
Dim7 - C Eb Gb Bbb - 1 b3 b5 bb7 (x3424x)
7#5 - C E G# Bb - 1 3 #5 b7 (x3635x)
7sus - C F G Bb - 1 4 5 b7 (x35343)

*This is also called a half-diminished chord or a split chord.

There are other possible 7 chords - like Mi7#5 - but these are rare.

To invert a chord, simply use the same notes but put a different note on the bottom. G major 7 can appear in either root position or three inversions.
Root - G (B D F#)
First Inversion B (D F# G)
Second Inversion D (F# G B )
Third Inversion F# (G B D)

The other notes are in brackets because the inversion is determined only by the bass note; the other notes can occur in any order after that, even multiple times, as happens often in guitar (a barred C major chord on the fifth string contains the notes, in order, C G C E G -- very redundant).

You may also notice over time that some of these chords are redundant. For example, a Csus is the same as an inverted Fsus2. A GMi6 is the same as an inverted EbMi7b5, and in the same vein, a G6 is the same as an inverted Emi7. They are distinguished only by their root and their purpose in the scale. The construction of certain chords also produces some interesting foibles; for example, there are only four possible harmonically distinct augmented chords due to the fact that augmented chords consist of a series of major thirds. There is also only three possible harmonically distinct dim7 chords because dim7 chords consist of a series of minor thirds. There are an infinite number of chromatically distinct chords for every type, but there are only three differently pitched dim7 chords.

Any time a chord is affixed with a number larger than 7, it is referred to as a chord with an extension. Extensions must be non-redundant, reducing the only possible extensions to 9, 11, and 13. Extensions are easy and they ignore scale precedent, so you just do what they say. A Cmaj9 is a cmaj7 with a 9 attached -- C E G B D. An F9#11 is an F7 with a 9 and a #11 added to it -- F A C Eb G B. There are some weird notation rules that I will try to summarize.

If there is just a number, you play every note in the series up to that number with no alterations (play them as they would appear in the scale). If it says addX, then you play the written chord plus that note. This is easier to see than it is to explain, so I'll demonstrate.
EMi7b5Add11 - E G Bb D A
EMi11b5 - E G Bb D F# A

There are some strange conventions to chord notation that will make reading them less frustrating. Major chords almost never have natural 11s, so if you see a CMa13, you should assume that means you should play a #11, not a nat11, unless it specifies nat11. That rule applies to dominant chords as well but not minor or dim/split chords. This rule is similar to the rule that dictates that minor 6 chords actually have major 6ths, not minor 6ths -- this is because minor chords are almost never played with minor 6ths (a minor chord with a minor 6th would be an inverted maj7 chord and would sound like one). Also, sus chords are not notated as expected; "sus" always comes at the end of the chord. D7sus is correct, Dsus7 is not. You should also note that "add" is commonly omitted when it follows a non-natural extension: A7b13 is the same as A7addb13, and DbMaj7#11 is the same as DbMaj7Add#11.

This is the kind of thing that you really have to practice to be able to do, especially if you want to be able to do it with any speed.

EDIT: I also missed alt. Alt means you play a dominant chord with no fifth, either a b9 or a #9, and a b13. A variant of this is the KS chord, where you play an alt chord with both a b9 and a #9.

ONE FINAL EDIT: You mentioned blues, so I'll give you a blues to play containing a good variety of chords. This is known as a Byrd blues or a New York Blues.

FMaj7 | EMi7b5 A7#9 | Dmi7 G7 | Cmi7 F7

BbMaj7 | BbMi7 Eb7b9 | AMi7 D7 | AbMi7 Db7

GMi7 | C7 | AMi7 D7 | GMi7 C7b9 |

I kept the extensions simple but I could certainly make them more complicated if you wanted them to be. Even if you don't like how this sounds (your critique of jazz in the other thread probably means you won't) this is a really great excercise for learning a whole bunch of chords at once.

This post was edited by Me2NiK on Aug 4 2011 02:49am
Gold: 0.70
Aug 4 2011 06:33am
Every time I intend on knuckling down and learning music theory i run into something like this and lose my motivation.
Gold: 4,807.80
Aug 4 2011 07:37am
Me2Nik - Do you write up tabs? I'm yet to find a tab for Black Stone Cherry - Stay (New album Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea) and I've wanted to learn it for my gf <3 You seem to have that awesome ability to hear some chords, and know what they are which is something that although i've tried to do, i've been unable to accomplish.

Quote (Cloudfire @ 4 Aug 2011 12:33)
Every time I intend on knuckling down and learning music theory i run into something like this and lose my motivation.

I know what you mean dude - wall of text scares me. Especially with so many wortds i'm just NOT familiar with
Gold: 518.50
Aug 4 2011 12:57pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Aug 4 2011 09:37am)
Me2Nik - Do you write up tabs? I'm yet to find a tab for Black Stone Cherry - Stay (New album Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea) and I've wanted to learn it for my gf <3 You seem to have that awesome ability to hear some chords, and know what they are which is something that although i've tried to do, i've been unable to accomplish.

I know what you mean dude - wall of text scares me. Especially with so many wortds i'm just NOT familiar with

I'm fairly certain that this is played with the guitar tuned to Eb to exploit some open notes, but I didn't want to detune my guitar so here's how I played it in standard. Again, keep in mind that this won't be note-for-note correct with the song because I'm playing it in a different tuning, but the chords themselves are right and they're as close as I can get them without really listening to the song (I only have like fifteen minutes to write this out so it's quick).

Chord voicings used in this song
Absus2 - 4663xx
Bb - 6887xx
Cmi - 8(10)(10)8xx (the brackets are there to indicate that it's 10, not 1 and 0)
Eb - You can't really emulate the voicing they're using in standard tuning, but an equally suitable Eb is x68886.
F power chord - x8(10)(10)xx
Bbsus - 6888xx

Verse
Absus2 | Bb | Cmi | % | (Repeat this many times)

Prechorus
Absus2 | % | Bb | % |

Chorus 1
Absus2 | Eb | Bb | Cmi Bb |

Absus2 | Eb | Bb | % |

Absus2 | Eb | F* | % |

Absus2 | Eb | Bb | Cmi

Chorus 2

Absus2 | Eb | Bb | % |

Absus2 | Eb | F* | % |

Bridge (The electric guitar plays power chords over these chords, so Absus2 just becomes 466xxx for example)
Absus2 | Eb | CMi Bb | CMi Bb |

Absus2 | Eb | Bb | % |

Absus2 | Cmi/Absus2** | Absus2 | %

Absus2 | Cmi/Absus2** | Bbsus | %

Chorus 3

Absus2 | Eb | Bb | Cmi |

Absus2 | Eb | Bb | % |

Absus2 | Eb | Bb | % |

Absus2 | Eb | Bb | Cmi |

Absus2 | Eb | Bb | Cmi |

Absus2 | Eb | Bb | % |

The screechy notes at the end of the song are A, Ab and F.

The form is
Verse
Prechorus
Chorus 1
Verse
Prechorus
Chorus 2
Bridge
Chorus 3

* - The F is actually just a power chord, but it can be interpreted as being implied major, sus, or 7sus. I would just play the power chord.

** - Depending on what part of the song you're playing (electric or acoustic) you will be playing a different chord here.

Also, tell me what you don't understand in that post and I'll try and explain it to you; I don't know what you know and what you don't so I'm trying to just explain everything all at once.

EDIT: Tabbed out Db instead of Eb

This post was edited by Me2NiK on Aug 4 2011 01:11pm
Aug 4 2011 03:02pm
Wow dude - you are the man lol.

Been giving this a good hour or so, and I think i've got most of it but i'm having one of those tone-deaf days you know? Absus2 is a bitch of a chord - that ones gonna take some time. I thought it sounded more like 4775xx rather than the 3, but I think thats just me playing what comes easier lol.

My ears are definately playing up because i've had to re-tune 7 times or so and it keeps sounding slightly sharp or flat so I think i'ma put the guitar down before I break it xD

Tyvm though - Played it through acoustic first, then through my Mustang..

Also - i'm sure it's in Eb aswell, alot of their stuff is!
Gold: 3,015.00
Aug 5 2011 02:29am
b/asus
Aug 5 2011 02:45am
Quote (buttersdan @ 5 Aug 2011 08:29)
b/asus

..... And how would you play this chord? Names are all good and well - but need the fingerings too!
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll