d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > What Do You Play? > And More.
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
May 9 2011 03:42pm
Quote (Phisherman @ May 9 2011 05:34pm)
I've been playing for ~7 months.

I play my strat almost exclusively. I have an Ibanez acoustic but it's got some fret buzz problem that I can't figure out/can't afford to fix. I think the neck might be bent, but I'm not that into acoustic guitar anyway.

I normally play from tabs, but I know a decent amount about reading sheet music for a beginner (took a music theory class in high school a few years ago) so I've been trying to teach myself that too. Playing by ear is too hard for me at this point, but since I've started playing I've noticed that I can hear certain chords, detect some changes in tone, hear slight changes in effects, etc. Lately I've been practicing listening to a song and then trying to guess where the guitarist is playing on the fretboard as the song goes. I figure that's a good way to help train my ear a little faster.

I've also found myself trying to figure out a song through tabs and then realizing that the tabs are wrong and sometimes I'm able to make changes that sound closer to the correct notes. Playing by ear is frustrating, but knowing that it takes time keeps me from getting too frustrated with it.

Question. For those of you who can play by ear, how long did it take you to get good at it (how good at it are you?) and what are some tips for someone who's trying to learn? I've had people tell me that when learning guitar I shouldn't use tabs or sheet music, but only learn by ear. I think that's stupid because if they are using chords in the song that I don't know then there's no way to play it from ear. Thoughts?

Just to let you know, The necks of all gutiars are bent a little lol.

There is always supposed to be a slight arch in the neck of a guitar.

For the buzzing problem, usually you can raise the action a tad and it will fix it.
Gold: 51.00
Warn: 10%
May 9 2011 04:39pm
Quote (weasleface @ May 9 2011 04:42pm)
Just to let you know, The necks of all gutiars are bent a little lol.

There is always supposed to be a slight arch in the neck of a guitar.

For the buzzing problem, usually you can raise the action a tad and it will fix it.

I know that, but this guitar was not originally mine and it wasn't cared for properly. It was left leaning onto a wall for long periods of time instead of being in a stand or case.
Gold: 44.25
May 9 2011 05:09pm
Drums since 1999. Alto saxophone for 4 years. I mess around with the guitar and the bass, but if you asked me to find a note I'd be lost. I can read treble clef sheet music, but not so well with tabs. My band is currently working on an 8 song demo. I'll post some material as it comes along.
Gold: 411.76
May 9 2011 10:14pm
Quote (Phisherman @ May 9 2011 05:34pm)
I've been playing for ~7 months.

I play my strat almost exclusively.  I have an Ibanez acoustic but it's got some fret buzz problem that I can't figure out/can't afford to fix.  I think the neck might be bent, but I'm not that into acoustic guitar anyway.

I normally play from tabs, but I know a decent amount about reading sheet music for a beginner (took a music theory class in high school a few years ago) so I've been trying to teach myself that too.  Playing by ear is too hard for me at this point, but since I've started playing I've noticed that I can hear certain chords, detect some changes in tone, hear slight changes in effects, etc.  Lately I've been practicing listening to a song and then trying to guess where the guitarist is playing on the fretboard as the song goes.  I figure that's a good way to help train my ear a little faster.

I've also found myself trying to figure out a song through tabs and then realizing that the tabs are wrong and sometimes I'm able to make changes that sound closer to the correct notes.  Playing by ear is frustrating, but knowing that it takes time keeps me from getting too frustrated with it.

Question.  For those of you who can play by ear, how long did it take you to get good at it (how good at it are you?) and what are some tips for someone who's trying to learn?  I've had people tell me that when learning guitar I shouldn't use tabs or sheet music, but only learn by ear.  I think that's stupid because if they are using chords in the song that I don't know then there's no way to play it from ear.  Thoughts?

Very nice. Well I'm going to college right now as a music minor and I have had to take an actual Ear Training class. I think that hearing things by ear is pretty tough, but I would love to be able to do it without a problem.

Like you said though, the more I play the more I feel like I can pick things out by ear, especially when I am tuning. I use tuning as a way to keep my ear in check; I just tune by ear and then check it with a tuner.

I don't really agree with the idea of learning only by ear, because while it may be cool, it's kind of impractical. You want to be able to read some type of music.

Quote (Ghost_Smoke @ May 9 2011 07:09pm)
Drums since 1999. Alto saxophone for 4 years. I mess around with the guitar and the bass, but if you asked me to find a note I'd be lost. I can read treble clef sheet music, but not so well with tabs. My band is currently working on an 8 song demo. I'll post some material as it comes along.

I would love to hear some. I'm digging the talent on JSP.

This post was edited by Tenelen on May 9 2011 10:15pm
Gold: 1,786.00
May 10 2011 03:30am
Learned piano first about 17 years ago when I was 4. My mother put me through hell :p I used to just play classical, but I switched to more pop stuff later on. Then I picked up guitar starting at 8, flute at 9, drums at 12 and violin a few years ago. I guess you could count bass, however, that came naturally after I learned guitar. I can still read notes, but I can't sight read as fast anymore. I used to be able to sight read okay since I was in the high school jazz band and our instructor would make us sight read every piece we got immediately, but lately I've become pretty poor at it. I haven't actually learned a song for a few years, lol.. Aside from a few songs (especially classical) on my Droid 2 that just bring back memories, I really haven't listened or picked up anything new. I have partly done this to try to keep a unique sound, but at the same time, there hasn't been really anyone out there right now that has impressed me enough to stop and listen (aside from maybe a few Tosin Abasi songs).
May 10 2011 09:58am
Quote (Godest @ May 10 2011 05:30am)
Learned piano first about 17 years ago when I was 4. My mother put me through hell :p I used to just play classical, but I switched to more pop stuff later on. Then I picked up guitar starting at 8, flute at 9, drums at 12 and violin a few years ago. I guess you could count bass, however, that came naturally after I learned guitar. I can still read notes, but I can't sight read as fast anymore. I used to be able to sight read okay since I was in the high school jazz band and our instructor would make us sight read every piece we got immediately, but lately I've become pretty poor at it. I haven't actually learned a song for a few years, lol.. Aside from a few songs (especially classical) on my Droid 2 that just bring back memories, I really haven't listened or picked up anything new. I have partly done this to try to keep a unique sound, but at the same time, there hasn't been really anyone out there right now that has impressed me enough to stop and listen (aside from maybe a few Tosin Abasi songs).

Wow, your older than you look.

One thing I wish I could do was read music. I need to take lessons on it so I will be able to play with a group of people using sheet music.

Sounds like you got alot of experience. You sure have alot more than I do.
Gold: 19,597.59
May 10 2011 10:54am
piano in 1st grade, quit lessons after a year.
viollin in 4th grade, played until 11th grade, stolen, quit. started again after 8 years. finally got good at it. now i play fiddle in a couple of bands.
started guitar in 7th grade, still play.
started mandolin in may 2001 almost exactly 10 years ago (wow). play mando in a few bands.
started banjo in 2004/5, got good at that one too.
May 10 2011 12:41pm
I have played piano since '98 and guitar since 2000. In addition, I have been playing bass since '06 and drums since '09.

Currently, I am learning violin in a slow, tedious, and difficult process.
May 10 2011 01:49pm
Quote (juliusjuice @ May 10 2011 12:54pm)
piano in 1st grade, quit lessons after a year.
viollin in 4th grade, played until 11th grade, stolen, quit. started again after 8 years. finally got good at it. now i play fiddle in a couple of bands.
started guitar in 7th grade, still play.
started mandolin in may 2001 almost exactly 10 years ago (wow). play mando in a few bands.
started banjo in 2004/5, got good at that one too.

I love your intrument choices :)

I have all those but I've been wanting a banjo for sometimes.

I also have a Viola though, in need of some new strings. Its a really nice viola as well. Probobly around $2000

This post was edited by weasleface on May 10 2011 01:56pm
Gold: 411.76
May 10 2011 05:02pm
Quote (weasleface @ May 10 2011 11:58am)
Wow, your older than you look.

One thing I wish I could do was read music. I need to take lessons on it so I will be able to play with a group of people using sheet music.

Sounds like you got alot of experience. You sure have alot more than I do.

Learning to read music isn't so bad once you have the basic concept of it down.

Especially if you are going to start on an instrument you already know (such as Guitar).
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll