d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Thinking About Buying A Guitar. > Need Some Help
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Mar 17 2011 01:10pm
Quote (Makemetalmusic @ Mar 17 2011 04:56am)
My preference as well. EMG's sound generic as fuck, imho. Horrible pickups.

Never tried SHs, but I only heard good things about them.

EMGs aren't that generic. Just go with 18v mod and they do sound pretty good.
Gold: 3.00
Mar 17 2011 01:50pm
Quote (Darkshade @ Mar 17 2011 12:10pm)
Never tried SHs, but I only heard good things about them.

EMGs aren't that generic. Just go with 18v mod and they do sound pretty good.

You mean Seymour Duncans? They sound incredible compared to EMG's. I have Emg 81/85 in one of my guitars, and duncan jb/59 in another and the duncans blow the EMG's out of the water for everything, including metal, which is what the EMG's are pretty much designed for. EMG sounds thin and scratchy unless you use an EQ, and then it just sounds so generic it's completely uninspiring to play with.
Gold: 44.25
Mar 17 2011 03:39pm
After some research I think I like passives better.
Mar 17 2011 03:46pm
Quote (Makemetalmusic @ Mar 17 2011 02:50pm)
You mean Seymour Duncans? They sound incredible compared to EMG's. I have Emg 81/85 in one of my guitars, and duncan jb/59 in another and the duncans blow the EMG's out of the water for everything, including metal, which is what the EMG's are pretty much designed for. EMG sounds thin and scratchy unless you use an EQ, and then it just sounds so generic it's completely uninspiring to play with.

Sorry I was distracted and had something else in mind haha.. Yeah SDs.
Mar 30 2011 02:44pm
Quote (Ghost_Smoke @ Mar 15 2011 02:07am)
I want to buy my first guitar. I want to buy a guitar that will last and serve my purposes(punk/metal) and I was thinking of dropping 800-1000 USD for it. I've played drums for a number of years so I know the dedication an instrument takes, so no worries of me getting bored and just giving up. So far the most favorable guitar I've found was the ESP EC-1000:

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Solid-Body-Electric-Guitars/LTD-Deluxe-EC-1000-Electric-Guitar.site1prod516629.product

Any opinions?

edit: inb4 "drums aren't an instrument"

If you wanted to go ESP/LTD you could get a used ESP Eclipesn(Not LTD) which is made in Japan for around the same price as a brand new LTD EC-1000. I personally don't like active pickups and find them a bit to sterile. I think for punk/metal you could go with something that has PAF styled pickups (maybe slightly overwound for the higher gain stuff). Also in sticking with the ESP brand you should check out Edwards which is made and marketed by ESP in Japan and is not allowed to be sold in the United States due to copyright laws (although they pop up on eebay quite often). They make dead on copies of Les Pauls, Strats, Tele's, plus some of their own styles and are on par, if not better than the American made counterparts. If you know anything about guitar quality you know that Japanese made guitars are right up there with American. Also look around on the used market because some quality guitars can be had for great prices. I'd say most importantly is to try as many guitars as you can until you find one that just feels right.

Same goes for amps. Definitely get something with tubes and try out as many as you can. Also don't trust the guys at guitar center with helping you make a decision, chances are they'll point you towards the Marshall MG series which are not very good IMHO.

Good luck on your search and let us if you find anything your interested in.
Gold: 44.25
Apr 2 2011 01:47am
Quote (Creeping_Death @ Mar 30 2011 03:44pm)
If you wanted to go ESP/LTD you could get a used ESP Eclipesn(Not LTD) which is made in Japan for around the same price as a brand new LTD EC-1000.  I personally don't like active pickups and find them a bit to sterile.  I think for punk/metal you could go with something that has PAF styled pickups (maybe slightly overwound for the higher gain stuff).  Also in sticking with the ESP brand you should check out Edwards which is made and marketed by ESP in Japan and is not allowed to be sold in the United States due to copyright laws (although they pop up on eeebay quite often).  They make dead on copies of Les Pauls, Strats, Tele's, plus some of their own styles and are on par, if not better than the American made counterparts.  If you know anything about guitar quality you know that Japanese made guitars are right up there with American.  Also look around on the used market because some quality guitars can be had for great prices.  I'd say most importantly is to try as many guitars as you can until you find one that just feels right.

Same goes for amps.  Definitely get something with tubes and try out as many as you can.  Also don't trust the guys at guitar center with helping you make a decision, chances are they'll point you towards the Marshall MG series which are not very good IMHO.

Good luck on your search and let us if you find anything your interested in.

Thanks for the post. I had no idea about "Edwards", thanks for the heads up.
Gold: 4,807.80
Apr 2 2011 02:03am
I love EMG's because Pinch Harmonics sound awesome through them, and I havn't found a better pinch-pickup than EMG.

Guitar wise - you have a massive door open because you can even go for a hollow body gretch, standard fender strat/tele, gibson SG, Epipoo, Ibanez, Jackson, ESP/LTD and then you have makes like above, Reverend and others that are not as well known, but very well built instruments.

Amp wise - just make a stack. All you gotta do is get 1 cab, $250<< and 1 head (this is where most of the money should be invested)

Marshall do everything absolutely fine. There's nothing mind blowing for under £700, but the one I got for £100 is great - nice and loud, has built in reverb and my favourite - CHORUS DELAY
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll