d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Issue's Drumming > I Can't Keep Beet With Double Pedal's
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3.00
Dec 8 2010 12:35am
I think the main problem here is avenged sevenfold.
Gold: 13.37
Dec 8 2010 03:33am
Quote (Morals @ Dec 8 2010 02:35am)
I think the main problem here is avenged sevenfold.

Actually, The Rev was an insanely talented drummer. Although yes, I agree that their music is now shit (Waking the Fallen was actually decent), he has quite a unique and difficult style of play. Obviously he has some easier songs, however a lot of his songs were extremely technical (having Mike Portnoy as his idol his entire life, and following a similar style of play) and really difficult in terms of 'softer metal' (yes, sadly I place them in the metal category).
Gold: 228.00
Dec 8 2010 09:38am
Quote (arnott15 @ Dec 8 2010 04:33am)
Actually, The Rev was an insanely talented drummer. Although yes, I agree that their music is now shit (Waking the Fallen was actually decent), he has quite a unique and difficult style of play. Obviously he has some easier songs, however a lot of his songs were extremely technical (having Mike Portnoy as his idol his entire life, and following a similar style of play) and really difficult in terms of 'softer metal' (yes, sadly I place them in the metal category).

I wouldn't go so far as to label him as "insanely talented." He was decent, at best. Sorry, but I can't even bear to put him into the category of "good." Also: They were metalcore pre-Waking the Fallen and on Waking the Fallen. Now, they are just another alternative band. As for the OP, I hope the video I posted has helped you speed up your double bass as it did for me. :santa:
Gold: 0.00
Dec 8 2010 12:52pm
I just did the heel toe methodfor the first time, and wow.. it looks so hard but its actually easy Now i just need to get some speed and rythm

This post was edited by tax77 on Dec 8 2010 12:52pm
Gold: 3,560.00
Dec 8 2010 01:06pm
Metronome + slow practise. That's all you need.
Dec 9 2010 05:51pm
Quote (tax77 @ Dec 8 2010 12:52pm)
I just did the heel toe methodfor the first time, and wow.. it looks so hard but its actually easy Now i just need to get some speed and rythm

You should practice both a single stroke technique and a double stroke technique (such as a heel-toe or slide).

Doing so will only increase your ability to play cool patterns with your feet.

I would not just snuggle up to one or the other.
Gold: 44.25
Dec 12 2010 10:14pm
Quote (arnott15 @ Dec 8 2010 12:01am)
Oh my lord, please for the love of god, if you can't play this song on the double kicks and are trying to learn how, PLEASE, DO NOT try to teach yourself heel toe in order to keep up with the speed. You will only hurt yourself in the long run.

This song is relatively easy, but as you said, can get tedious on the legs. You need to practice playing  with a metronome. I know you've heard it plenty of times, but go to any serious drum forum/talk to anyone who has been playing drums for an extended period of time and they will tell you the same thing. Drumming isn't something you can pick up overnight, techniques and methods that some drummers used may not work for others, and as such you need to learn for yourself (this is what makes every single drummer unique!).

There are certain things you can modify that may help, not only with speed but endurance.  Try readjusting your double kick pedals, there (usually) are many settings on a double kick that need tweeking, no double kick comes stock and ready to play for everyone. If you're not sure what all the features are (I know when I first started using double kicks, I had no clue what to change/adjust) google is your best friend. Just type in your pedal and I'm sure you'll find someone who has your pedal that is in the same predicament as you. You may also want to look into getting different beaters, or even adding/removing weights to them.

Another thing you may want to look at is your base drum and how it's tuned. Adding/removing pillows/blankets to get the right rebound and/or tightening the heads play a key factor in the rebound of your pedal, and can not only help you with speed/endurance, but can ultimately make your base drum sound WAY better!

Hopefully some of these tips will help, and if not, just keep practicing it! You'll get it eventually!

I was going to write a big, long, detailed paragraph but this guy did it for me.

Quote (arnott15 @ Dec 8 2010 04:33am)

Sounding the Seventh Trumpet was bad ass, as was Waking the Fallen. Unfortunately, if you ask almost any kid wearing an A7x shit nowadays, they won't even know that these albums exist.
Gold: 4.01
Dec 13 2010 08:10am
Quote (arnott15 @ Dec 8 2010 05:01am)
PLEASE, DO NOT try to teach yourself heel toe in order to keep up with the speed. You will only hurt yourself in the long run.

This is the best advice you could possible have. But it goes for all types of really fast double bass drumming.

If you dont watch out you will do too much too soon and may not be able to get back to practicing your double kick work properly for several months, possibly even cause permanent damage.

But still, no pain no gain so there is just a line that must be drawn.

Be aware that any damage unless extremely severe will not become obvious untill 12 hours after the massive drum session, or maybe you will only just notice when you next go to sit at your drum kit to play...

Heel-toe technique is much more easy going on your muscles in general than single strokes. But single strokes give you the ultimate control and power. As a rule for alot of drummers - if it doesnt sound right on an acoustic drum kit without triggers then its not good drumming - which can be a problem for heel-toe drummers.
Dec 13 2010 09:32am
Does anybody know some good technique's to help me warm up before plying drums?
If i try playing in the morning im really tense and slow but in the middle of the day I play like normal again.
Gold: 44.25
Dec 13 2010 12:49pm
Quote (tax77 @ Dec 13 2010 10:32am)
Does anybody know some good technique's to help me warm up before plying drums?
If i try playing in the morning im really tense and slow but in the middle of the day I play like normal again.

Always stretch before you play. Drink water before, during and after you play. sounds like an aerobic workout warm-up but that what drumming is, especially if you want to play fast/heavy.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll