d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Please Help A Fellow Music Maker > With Studio Recording/engineering
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,577.00
Oct 12 2010 12:06am
Quote (Zodijackyl @ 11 Oct 2010 12:31)
I would recommend going with the MBOX 2 over the mini, two XLR inputs are ideal for learning how to balance/blend mics (I primarily know this with recording guitars), and having the MIDI input is quite useful.

I'm considering purchasing Pro Tools M-powered and M-audio interface mics and monitors. From what I've read, Digidesign hardware does not work with M-powered Pro Tools software. This rules own Mbox products for me, so what are good starter consoles that are compatible with M-audio interfaces? I was looking at Command|8 but I can't recall if it's compatible with that software.

Also, I chose M-powered because I thought it more accurately represented professional standards than LE. (I don't have the system requirements necessary to use Pro Tools HD)
Gold: 12.00
Oct 12 2010 05:06am
Quote (bjsdtl @ Oct 12 2010 01:06am)
I'm considering purchasing Pro Tools M-powered and M-audio interface mics and monitors.  From what I've read, Digidesign hardware does not work with M-powered Pro Tools software.  This rules own Mbox products for me, so what are good starter consoles that are compatible with M-audio interfaces?  I was looking at Command|8 but I can't recall if it's compatible with that software.

Also, I chose M-powered because I thought it more accurately represented professional standards than LE. (I don't have the system requirements necessary to use Pro Tools HD)

Awesome start up IMO. You get a little taste of everything. Should be real cost efficient too!
Oct 12 2010 03:49pm
Quote (Superchum @ 12 Oct 2010 07:06)
Awesome start up IMO. You get a little taste of everything. Should be real cost efficient too!

I believe the Command|8 retails for $1000. Is that cost efficient? I can afford it, but $1000 is more than I'd be paying for Pro Tools software and mics combined.
Obviously other consoles cost tens of thousands, but I mean compared to similar starter-consoles that are still compatible with M-audio interface.
Oct 12 2010 04:09pm
Quote (bjsdtl @ Oct 12 2010 04:49pm)
I believe the Command|8 retails for $1000.  Is that cost efficient? I can afford it, but $1000 is more than I'd be paying for Pro Tools software and mics combined.
Obviously other consoles cost tens of thousands, but I mean compared to similar starter-consoles that are still compatible with M-audio interface.

Thought you were looking at the M-Audio controller, the Project Mix I think it's called. To be fair, the Command 8 will have better converters and $1000 for 8 channels+AD/DA+the hands on interface+convertors is a fair deal. I assume the command 8 does all the digital conerting and you don't need a sound card on top of this? I don;t dabble too much in the comupter realm but for some people it works great. The M-audio should be cheaper and pretty effective though too.

I mentioned earlier, there's literally hundreds of different was of building a home studio. Look at what key things you want and what you have listed. Is this everything you're looking for in your budget? Soundcard? Mic Pre's? Effects? Editing? Recording software? Finalizing? Is it hands on? Monitors? Cables? Stands? If so, go for it. You have to start somewhere, anywhere is good in my opinion. This way is one of a thousand.
Oct 14 2010 11:31am
After doing a lot of research, I've decided to go with the following setup:

Mbox interface
Pro Tools LE
SM57 mic, boom, and 1x XLR cable
monitoring speakers <-- still don't know what to get.

any recommendations for monitors? Ideally I would like to purchase only what is essential, but something I will hold onto and use for a good long while.
Gold: 13.38
Oct 14 2010 04:05pm
Get FL Studio 9 and learn from that, when you are ready swap to hardware but link it up with your software via midi controllers etc. Job done.
Oct 14 2010 10:27pm
Quote (SnIpErPRO69L337 @ 14 Oct 2010 18:05)
Get FL Studio 9 and learn from that, when you are ready swap to hardware but link it up with your software via midi controllers etc. Job done.

Oh, thanks for mentioning but I'm only interested in Pro Tools.

I spoke to someone in person and he showed me some really great monitors - KRK SP5's. I think I'll get them!
Gold: 23.00
Oct 18 2010 05:47pm
If you ever do consider schooling again, check out like Full Sail University or something, they have studio engineer programs and what not. If you wanna get started now, you're right to lean towards Pro Tools, especially since its probably the most widely used recording programs in professional studios. Logic is also good too if you're a mac guy XD
Oct 18 2010 05:52pm
Quote (heyunloving145 @ 18 Oct 2010 19:47)
If you ever do consider schooling again, check out like Full Sail University or something, they have studio engineer programs and what not.  If you wanna get started now, you're right to lean towards Pro Tools, especially since its probably the most widely used recording programs in professional studios.  Logic is also good too if you're a mac guy XD

Oh someone else told me about Full Sail! It sounded pretty amazing; he said he got to work in pressure situations in 2 million dollar studios! :o
Down side is it's $50,000/year tuition, for a 2 and 1/2 year program (totaling $125,000).

From what I've heard, it's best to gather experience first-hand for much less money by learning Pro Tools and experimenting with it.
Oct 19 2010 01:11pm
Quote (bjsdtl @ Oct 18 2010 06:52pm)
Oh someone else told me about Full Sail! It sounded pretty amazing; he said he got to work in pressure situations in 2 million dollar studios! :o 
Down side is it's $50,000/year tuition, for a 2 and 1/2 year program (totaling $125,000).

From what I've heard, it's best to gather experience first-hand for much less money by learning Pro Tools and experimenting with it.

I think that's the way to do it. On your own unless you're loaded. Check this place out though if you really want to go to a school.

http://metalworksinstitute.com/

It's in Toronto but it's primarily Pro Tools based and would be about 1/10th of the cost of Full Sail.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll