d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > I Just Bought A New Drum Kit
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Warn: 50%
Sep 1 2010 06:40pm
price?

how long you been playing?

Im looking to start drums..dunno what to get
Gold: 44.25
Sep 1 2010 06:47pm
Quote (Gixxer @ Sep 1 2010 07:40pm)
price?

how long you been playing?

Im looking to start drums..dunno what to get

It was 750 for the shells and mounting hardware. I had the rack and cymbals beforehand.

I've played since I was 12, so this marks my 11th year as of November.

If you're just starting, get a cheaper kit so if you decide you don't like it you're not at much of a loss.
Gold: Locked
Warn: 50%
Sep 1 2010 08:21pm
Quote (Ghost_Smoke @ Sep 1 2010 07:47pm)
It was 750 for the shells and mounting hardware. I had the rack and cymbals beforehand.

I've played since I was 12, so this marks my 11th year as of November.

If you're just starting, get a cheaper kit so if you decide you don't like it you're not at much of a loss.

how did you start learning how to play songs, technique etc?

videos? just play and learn?
Gold: 13.37
Sep 2 2010 04:09am
Quote (Gixxer @ Sep 1 2010 10:21pm)
how did you start learning how to play songs, technique etc?

videos? just play and learn?

Pick up the drum sticks and play. Seriously. Find out if you like it (don't give up after 1 day, you can't learn this shit fast) and then carry on from there. If you end up liking it, you can get someone to help you (maybe a friend plays drum, or you can always hire an instructer) or just keep playing random shit.

I've got a few friends (including myself) who all learned from just fucking around time to time on the drum set. I personally started on Rockband, and have since moved onto a real kit and am loving every minute of it.

Remember t o take Ghost's advice, Drums are NOT cheap, so pick up a cheap/used set first to see if you like it. Regardless of the kit, you can still make a beat, it's just not going to sound as nice (of course there are cheap additions to a drum kit to allow better sound).

On topic, how do you like Iron Cobras? I just picked up a new Tama kit not too long ago, and have since regret not purchasing a used Iron Cobra (around the same time I bought a double kick, there was a no-name high end australian BRAND new double kick for $120, or an old Iron Cobra for $165, was pretty beat up). Prefer mine over my friends Pearl Powershifters, but still would really like to try them Iron Cobras out :(
Gold: 44.25
Sep 2 2010 05:47pm
Quote (arnott15 @ Sep 2 2010 05:09am)
Pick up the drum sticks and play. Seriously. Find out if you like it (don't  give up after 1 day, you can't learn this shit fast) and then carry on from there. If you end up liking it, you can get someone to help you (maybe a friend plays drum, or you can always hire an instructer) or just keep playing random shit.

I've got a few friends (including myself) who all learned from just fucking around time to time on the drum set. I personally started on Rockband, and have since moved onto a real kit and am loving every minute of it.

Remember t o take Ghost's advice, Drums are NOT cheap, so pick up a cheap/used set first to see if you like it. Regardless of the kit, you can still make a beat, it's just not going to sound as nice (of course there are cheap additions to a drum kit to allow better sound).

On topic, how do you like Iron Cobras? I just picked up a new Tama kit not too long ago, and have since regret not purchasing a used Iron Cobra (around the same time I bought a double kick, there was a no-name high end australian BRAND new double kick for $120, or an old Iron Cobra for $165, was pretty beat up). Prefer mine over my friends Pearl Powershifters, but still would really like to try them Iron Cobras out :(

I've had my Iron Cobra double pedal for...I can't even remember how many years. Probably 4-6 years. It's still in prefect working shape (obviously will have signs of use; scratches and indentations where you tighten the pins to the slave bar) but it still works perfectly and I've beaten the shit out of it since the day I got it. It has a good feel, but you should never buy a pedal until you try it out. It's got a heavy push and if you let it get out of control the backlash of the beater can fuck your foot up pretty bad (I've heard stories of people needing stitches) so always wear shoes when dealing with this pedal. All in all, it's a very solid pedal that would be suitable for anyone from intermediate to advanced.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll