d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Superchum's Mastering Job
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jun 23 2010 03:48pm
Quote (Superchum @ Jun 23 2010 01:58pm)
Not one band I like or listen to uses auto tune. Second, no digital in my studio. Third, not too much auto tuning in mastering. Fourth, Just tossing this band out there. I'm not super proud or think this is awesome, just a couple tunes here you'll probably never hear but I think there's something in those two I mentioned to maybe get something from.

On a side note, yea, auto tune is for entertainers, not musicians.

I'm pretty sure that is absolutely false, anyways I'm not here to argue on auto-tune.

The mix was alright, and the mastering was pretty tight. It seems to be almost radio-ready if you get what I mean. Might need little tweaks here and there, but other than that great job!

Quote (ZoSo @ Jun 23 2010 05:24pm)
While that's probably true, it doesn't change the fact that great music was being recorded decades before the technology even existed.

Of course, I never said otherwise!

Gold: 12.00
Jun 23 2010 04:07pm
Quote (Darkshade @ Jun 23 2010 04:48pm)
I'm pretty sure that is absolutely false, anyways I'm not here to argue on auto-tune.

The mix was alright, and the mastering was pretty tight. It seems to be almost radio-ready if you get what I mean. Might need little tweaks here and there, but other than that great job!

Of course, I never said otherwise!

No. You are wrong again. Name me one band I listen to that uses auto tune.
Jun 23 2010 04:50pm
Quote (Superchum @ Jun 23 2010 06:07pm)

I don't know which bands you listen to. Go and list some off your mp3 player.

And I'm 100% sure there will be one because using auto-tune to correct a small pitch is way more worth it than spending countless time to try and get it recorded.

I'm still stunned that you deny the fact that even your favorite bands would require auto-tune help.

This post was edited by Darkshade on Jun 23 2010 04:50pm
Jun 23 2010 09:06pm
Quote (Superchum @ Jun 23 2010 05:07pm)

No, you are wrong. Every band you listen to uses autotone
Jun 23 2010 09:11pm
Quote (Darkshade @ Jun 23 2010 05:50pm)
I don't know which bands you listen to. Go and list some off your mp3 player.

And I'm 100% sure there will be one because using auto-tune to correct a small pitch is way more worth it than spending countless time to try and get it recorded.

I'm still stunned that you deny the fact that even your favorite bands would require auto-tune help.

A handful of my favorite Bands.

The Sea and Cake
Pinback
Steely Dan
Ry Cooder
Isotope 217
Burning Airlines
Daniel Lanois
Sunny Day Real Estate
Helmet
Primus
Quicksand
Jim O'Rourke
Portishead
El Ten Eleven
Battles
Prefab Sprout
Gillian Welch
Mr. Bungle

That's the stack of disc's in front of me and I'm 100% sure they don't use... sorry... NEED any auto tune. Some of us can still perform what we want to. I use no digital editing on any of my performance tracks, no pitch corrections unless used as an effect as opposed to an adjustment or edit and I use live takes with out punches. Sorry man. I know music is a dying breed but I'm still alive and there's plenty more out there if you look for it.

Edit:
Ahhh.... here's my I=pod:
Names not listed:
Badly Drawn Bow
Frank Black
Lou Barlow
Mavis Staples
Miles Davis
Rob Crow
Sam Prekop
Sebadoh

This post was edited by Superchum on Jun 23 2010 09:35pm
Gold: 221.20
Jun 23 2010 10:16pm
Quote (Hogbone @ Jun 23 2010 04:48pm)
Lol.. if the person can't do it with their voice, they shouldn't try to achieve it with auto tune. Makes you sound fucking retarded.

Uh, clearly you know nothing about standard technique in audio production, brother. Virtually no vocalist does an absolutely pitch perfect take, no matter how good they are. Audio tune is just the standard for cleaning up certain nuances you don't want in the voice. You don't have to use autotune over an entire track, you can cut it out in certain places and only use it where needed. Virtually everything since 1990 has been autotuned in some way or another. Welcome to modern music production. Your idols must be nothing because they sang a note slightly sharp and the person producing the session decided to bring it up to save the entire take with autotune.

GOD FORBID.

Your job as a producer is to maximize the quality of the performance. If this means you need to slightly autotune bits and pieces in order to make it perfect, or stretch a guitar track in a small spot to save a small timing issue on an otherwise good track...then that's what you do. Recordings isn't performing, and that's why it takes so long to record good shit, and even more time to produce it. In a performance the tiny mistakes pass, because they happen in the moment and the music continues. It's atmospheric and less audible on an absolute level. A recording is permanent and right there, with everything out in the open all the time. A tiny mistake can ruin the recording. So...ya, your choice. My two cents.

This post was edited by chronowarp on Jun 23 2010 10:19pm
Jun 23 2010 10:21pm
Quote (Superchum @ Jun 24 2010 03:11am)
A handful of my favorite Bands.

The Sea and Cake
Pinback
Steely Dan
Ry Cooder
Isotope 217
Burning Airlines
Daniel Lanois
Sunny Day Real Estate
Helmet
Primus
Quicksand
Jim O'Rourke
Portishead
El Ten Eleven
Battles
Prefab Sprout
Gillian Welch
Mr. Bungle

That's the stack of disc's in front of me and I'm 100% sure they don't use... sorry... NEED any auto tune. Some of us can still perform what we want to. I use no digital editing on any of my performance tracks, no pitch corrections unless used as an effect as opposed to an adjustment or edit and I use live takes with out punches. Sorry man. I know music is a dying breed but I'm still alive and there's plenty more out there if you look for it.

Edit:
Ahhh.... here's my I=pod:
Names not listed:
Badly Drawn Bow
Frank Black
Lou Barlow
Mavis Staples
Miles Davis
Rob Crow
Sam Prekop
Sebadoh

Your elitist attitude is so ill conceived that it makes me cringe. It has nothing to do with music being a "dying breed". It has to do with using the technology available to you to maximize the quality of a performance. I would rather take a nearly perfect vocal take with a tiny clam and fix it rather than strive and strive for an absolutely perfect take that I will probably never get, and if I do, it may be lacking in other unresolvable aspects like rhythm, performance, and energy.

Auto tune is not reserved for bad singers, that's a fallacy. Excessive autotune can make a terrible singer sound "good", though the effect will be extremely obvious, but using autotune doesn't make a singer deficient, in need of autotune, or bad. Also, I guarantee you all those bands listed use autotune in some form for some instance in their music. You can speculate all you want and claim since you can't hear it (because you don't want to hear it) it's not there, but maybe you should contact the producers and see what they have to say. Most well done, nuanced autotune is extremely hard to pick up with your ear. Trust me, I can hear the stuff from a mile away and there are many songs where it is extremely hard to tell if it was done.

This post was edited by chronowarp on Jun 23 2010 10:24pm
Jun 23 2010 10:53pm
Quote (chronowarp @ Jun 23 2010 11:21pm)
Your elitist attitude is so ill conceived that it makes me cringe.  It has nothing to do with music being a "dying breed".  It has to do with using the technology available to you to maximize the quality of a performance.  I would rather take a nearly perfect vocal take with a tiny clam and fix it rather than strive and strive for an absolutely perfect take that I will probably never get, and if I do, it may be lacking in other unresolvable aspects like rhythm, performance, and energy.

Auto tune is not reserved for bad singers, that's a fallacy.  Excessive autotune can make a terrible singer sound "good", though the effect will be extremely obvious, but using autotune doesn't make a singer deficient, in need of autotune, or bad.  Also, I guarantee you all those bands listed use autotune in some form for some instance in their music.  You can speculate all you want and claim since you can't hear it (because you don't want to hear it) it's not there, but maybe you should contact the producers and see what they have to say.  Most well done, nuanced autotune is extremely hard to pick up with your ear.  Trust me, I can hear the stuff from a mile away and there are many songs where it is extremely hard to tell if it was done.

You see... that's where you're wrong. Music is dying, at least in the main music arteries. They want to blame CD sales diminishing on downloads. They want to blame poor ticket sales on people staying at home on Facebook. They want to blame television viewing down on youtube. Then why are all the reunion tours selling out? Why are all my students bringing in tunes from the 70's-90's to transcribe? The truth is, the music industry is so concerned with sales, it's not concerned about what it's producing. Unlike everything else, (cars, bikes, fridges, pencils, toilet paper, food, guitars, power tools ect.) people don't just think of music as a product or a entertainment. All that other shit, people will buy and settle. But music is religious. We sing at church, at birthdays, at funerals and weddings. Music is ubiquitous. It's on our clock radios in the morning, in the car ride to school/work, at school/work then in the headphones on the bus and at the department stores on your way home. And in between the department stores, there's the music in the mall halls, and even elevator music for specifically elevators. Then when you get home it's ominous in the background of your movies, television series video games and background of your poker games. So what am I saying....

When the music got so into making an image and entertainment, people like me and millions of others looked else where to fill the void not being provided. I know for a fact, (cause my buddy was in on the sessions) that 50 cent spends more time arguing about copyright infringement than working on the music when in the studio.

I'm not an elitist. I see things the way they are. What most people call music, I see as entertainment. Not to say if it's good or bad or ones better or not, I just see it the way it is. The stuff listed in my repertoire, is music to me. My religion if you will. A lot of that other stuff, doesn't do too much but fill my silence with noise. Feel free to listen to it though. Feel free to use auto tune to "to maximize the quality of a performance." In the post production end though, I refer to that as "turd polishing."
Jun 23 2010 11:15pm
Quote (Superchum @ Jun 24 2010 04:53am)
You see... that's where you're wrong. Music is dying, at least in the main music arteries. They want to blame CD sales diminishing on downloads. They want to blame poor ticket sales on people staying at home on Facebook. They want to blame television viewing down on youtube. Then why are all the reunion tours selling out? Why are all my students bringing in tunes from the 70's-90's to transcribe? The truth is, the music industry is so concerned with sales, it's not concerned about what it's producing. Unlike everything else, (cars, bikes, fridges, pencils, toilet paper, food, guitars, power tools ect.) people don't just think of music as a product or a entertainment. All that other shit, people will buy and settle. But music is religious. We sing at church, at birthdays, at funerals and weddings. Music is ubiquitous. It's on our clock radios in the morning, in the car ride to school/work, at school/work then in the headphones on the bus and at the department stores on your way home. And in between the department stores, there's the music in the mall halls, and even elevator music for specifically elevators. Then when you get home it's ominous in the background of your movies, television series video games and background of your poker games. So what am I saying....

When the music got so into making an image and entertainment, people like me and millions of others looked else where to fill the void not being provided. I know for a fact, (cause my buddy was in on the sessions) that 50 cent spends more time arguing about copyright infringement than working on the music when in the studio.

I'm not an elitist. I see things the way they are. What most people call music, I see as entertainment. Not to say if it's good or bad or ones better or not, I just see it the way it is. The stuff listed in my repertoire, is music to me. My religion if you will. A lot of that other stuff, doesn't do too much but fill my silence with noise. Feel free to listen to it though. Feel free to use auto tune to "to maximize the quality of a performance." In the post production end though, I refer to that as "turd polishing."

Oh god, holy false correlation. Did you know that the number of pirates on the sea is directly related to the number of baseball tickets sold in NY? How do I know this? Well, when there are more pirates at sea baseball ticket sales are higher.

Despite that, I couldn't disagree with you more. Music is more alive than ever. The world is shrinking due to technology, and that presents an amazing opportunity for all musicians and music connoisseurs to obtain, experience, and play different styles of music. No real musician, or anyone with a keen interest in a music, stops looking at the commercial, mainstream music. There is always new, and progressive stuff out there and most people GET IT. All the reasons you list then discard are EXACTLY why things are happening the way they are.

The internet has changed how we experience music. People no longer need to go to the record store to get new stuff. It leaks months before the release, and are available in better formats than CD quality.
Jun 23 2010 11:19pm
Quote (chronowarp @ Jun 24 2010 12:15am)
Oh god, holy false correlation.  Did you know that the number of pirates on the sea is directly related to the number of baseball tickets sold in NY?  How do I know this?  Well, when there are more pirates at sea baseball ticket sales are higher.

Despite that, I couldn't disagree with you more.  Music is more alive than ever.  The world is shrinking due to technology, and that presents an amazing opportunity for all musicians and music connoisseurs to obtain, experience, and play different styles of music.  No real musician, or anyone with a keen interest in a music, stops looking at the commercial, mainstream music.  There is always new, and progressive stuff out there and most people GET IT.  All the reasons you list then discard are EXACTLY why things are happening the way they are.

The internet has changed how we experience music.  People no longer need to go to the record store to get new stuff.  It leaks months before the release, and are available in better formats than CD quality.

You're right. I'm wrong.

This post was edited by Superchum on Jun 23 2010 11:22pm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll