d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Anyone Have This Problem? (guitar/bass) > Prolly A Newb Issue
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 221.20
Jun 20 2010 11:48am
Hope that wasn't too confusing and you could find some worth in practicing that stuff.
Gold: 20.00
Jun 21 2010 12:31am
Quote (chronowarp @ Jun 20 2010 12:48pm)
Hope that wasn't too confusing and you could find some worth in practicing that stuff.

I do have 2 questions actually

2 points I never learned from my website...

I-IV-V-I, I-vi-IV-V-I, I-vi-ii-V7-I: these numbers you listed at the bottom...I've seen them before, what do they represent? Or do they just represent the tone/octave of certain keynotes/scales?

also, what is a diatonic chord? Don't think I've come across that either.
Jun 21 2010 12:53am
Quote (Eep @ Jun 21 2010 06:31am)
I do have 2 questions actually

2 points I never learned from my website...

I-IV-V-I, I-vi-IV-V-I, I-vi-ii-V7-I: these numbers you listed at the bottom...I've seen them before, what do they represent? Or do they just represent the tone/octave of certain keynotes/scales?

also, what is a diatonic chord? Don't think I've come across that either.

Ok, these "I-IV-V-I, I-vi-IV-V-I, I-vi-ii-V7-I" are chord progressions. Roman numerals in music theory represent chords built on certain scale degrees in a major or minor key. Arabic numbers refer to scale degrees themselves, the roman numerals represent chords.

So, if we take a major scale and stack it up in thirds (that's how most chords are built), we get the diatonic chords of the scale. Diatonic means within the scale. Chromatic means outside the key, for future reference. So our diatonic chords are simply the chords we derive out of the notes within the scale.

If we're using C major: C D E F G A B C
We can build a unique chord off each degree of the scale, there are 7 unique degrees.
To stack a third we simply skip a note in the scale, add that note to the one we started with, then do it again.

C D E F G
C E G, that is your C major chord. We call it I, because it is built off the first degree of the scale, and it's major. lowercase roman numerals indicate minor chords. º indicates a diminished chord.

So, if we do that throughout the whole scale we get these chords: C-Dm-Em-F-G-Am-Bdim, in roman numerals: I-ii-iii-IV-V-vi-viiº
We use the roman numerals to transcend the individual key itself and talk about the chord sequences as they relate to all major keys. For instance a I-IV-V could be played in any key, but it's always, relatively, the same chord progression - just in a different key.

Gold: 0.00
Jun 21 2010 10:43pm
when i play i rarely ever use E/A amd usually play D/G alot more
Jun 21 2010 10:51pm
Quote (weasleface @ Jun 21 2010 11:43pm)
when i play i rarely ever use E/A amd usually play D/G alot more

I know you do guitar, but do you do bass as well?

what kinda music do you play?

btw thats chrono for all the help, going to start practicing like that
Jun 22 2010 02:03am
since so many good minds are in one thread I'd like to ask this too

I don't really have people to play with, but I'm looking.

When writing music, by yourself or with other people, what exactly should I follow?

Like, are most songs written in a single KEY? Or do they use multiple keys?

If a song is in the Key of C, for example, would I be playing chords/scales around C,E,G,Bb?

I'd really like to work on composing stuff but have no idea how to go around it tbh. It's all new (and pretty intimidating) territory for me.

any help appreciated ofc.
Jun 22 2010 10:51am
Quote (Eep @ Jun 22 2010 08:03am)
since so many good minds are in one thread I'd like to ask this too

I don't really have people to play with, but I'm looking.

When writing music, by yourself or with other people, what exactly should I follow?

Like, are most songs written in a single KEY? Or do they use multiple keys?

If a song is in the Key of C, for example, would I be playing chords/scales around C,E,G,Bb?

I'd really like to work on composing stuff but have no idea how to go around it tbh. It's all new (and pretty intimidating) territory for me.

any help appreciated ofc.

Most songs are in one key. Most songs use the diatonic chords from a key. A really simple and typical chord progression is I-IV-V-I, or I-vi-IV-V-I
Jun 22 2010 12:08pm
ahhh, thanks again.

I'll see what I can cook up in the coming weeks
Gold: 0.00
Jun 23 2010 11:37pm
Quote (Eep @ Jun 22 2010 12:51am)
I know you do guitar, but do you do bass as well?

what kinda music do you play?

btw thats chrono for all the help, going to start practicing like that

i am working to buy ALOT of instruments

currently i can play guitar, bass, harmonica, harmonica with the guitar and i want a violin and one ofthose bassy violins

and my favorite type of music is Acoustic, Classical, Funk, Rock, Blues

This post was edited by weasleface on Jun 23 2010 11:39pm
Jun 23 2010 11:55pm
Quote (weasleface @ Jun 24 2010 12:37am)
i am working to buy ALOT of instruments

currently i can play guitar, bass, harmonica, harmonica with the guitar and i want a violin and one ofthose bassy violins

and my favorite type of music is Acoustic, Classical, Funk, Rock, Blues

Here is my road block...when I play, I like to move to the higher strings.

IE, I like to play a chord or scale of C on the A string, because I can easily move through out it.

If you try to play a a chord/scale on the high C on say the G string, you are forced to only move what, backwards? It's something I haven't got around to practicing yet, I guess I should.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll