d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat >
Poll > Best Drummer? > Is It Possible To Pick?
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 7,065.69
Mar 17 2010 05:25pm
Quote (Superchum @ 17 Mar 2010 23:07)
Question reads, which drummer would YOU pick for YOUR music, not who's the best.

I had to flip a coin between Gadd and Keltner and since Keltnerr played with everyone Gadd has but also plays with Ry Cooder, Keltner got the vote.

If you like Jordison/Portny maybe consider a real technician like Mangini, (I hate all three of these players)

Peart looks like a 4 year old learning paradiddles next to Harrison.

Rich vs Krupa same fuckin thing. Krupa brought the Drum kit to the front of the stage, Buddy Rich just put a bigger spot light on himself. Besides, I'm positive none of you would last 8 seconds in a band with Buddy Rich cause you're either white or not good enough.

Weckl, Weckel, Wack-o Fuck-o. If you ever meet him, he wont care about the spelling in your name.If you get Dave Weckel and Dave Weckl mixed up when talking about drums, your vote won't count.

I leave any one out.... Lang? Wow 32nd note triplets on a wood block with his left foot. That's super. Now play me a groove of any sort... any... waitin... still waitin. If you'd take Lang, you could take a toneless, groove-less drum machine. Mind you, probably get one or two licks no one else on that list could do.

I guess since I'm at it, lets mention all the cool drummers out there that's not on the list

John McEntire, Tim Alexander, Brian Blade, Danny Carry, John Stainer Blah blah blah who gives a flam drag. Pick one of the list provided for YOUR Music.

BTW, I rule.

so your vote doesnt count? and yes i have met dave weckl :)

i dont understand the bit about buddy rich

gadd is dave weckl's favourite drummer and the person he learned from the most, gadd is (if im not mistaken) the most recorded drummer ever and eric claptons personal favourite - must be doing something right

thomas lang - drummer of the year 2008 (i think) in rhythm magazine, he must be alrite
dont think you've researched enough about lang to say he cant groove

not that im a fan, but im sure there are a lot of punk musicians/listeners that would put travis barker as there #1?

cant believe your so narrow minded to even to make a thread like this and then list 10 great drummers but talk about the others mentioned as if their shit?

This post was edited by hellohal on Mar 17 2010 05:28pm
Gold: 1.50
Mar 17 2010 09:05pm
were the fuck is george kollias
Gold: 12.00
Mar 18 2010 07:47am
Quote (hellohal @ Mar 17 2010 06:25pm)
so your vote doesnt count? and yes i have met dave weckl :)

i dont understand the bit about buddy rich

gadd is dave weckl's favourite drummer and the person he learned from the most, gadd is (if im not mistaken) the most recorded drummer ever and eric claptons personal favourite - must be doing something right

thomas lang - drummer of the year 2008 (i think) in rhythm magazine, he must be alrite
dont think you've researched enough about lang to say he cant groove

not that im a fan, but im sure there are a lot of punk musicians/listeners that would put travis barker as there #1?

cant believe your so narrow minded to even to make a thread like this and then list 10 great drummers but talk about the others mentioned as if their shit?

Oh you met Dave? That's super. I did too. He hasn't sent me a post card and doesn't remember my name. You? I didn't vote cause I'm trying to see what kind of drummers other people are looking for. Since Dave Weckl and Dave Weckel is the same person but you seem to think I'm talking about a different Dave Weckl than the one you pointed out, than your vote wouldn't count. Since for some reason you think there's a fellow named Dave Weckel out there that's as awesome as Dave Weckl but couldn't actually figure out that I had just made a spelling mistake.

You should look up Buddy Rich some day. He's a real neat story in the drumming world. I fill you in on a bit though. Drummers were always considered accompanists until Krupa came along. The drummer went to the forground. Krupa was loved by many and was now in the spotlight and not in the shadows. Along come Buddy Rich, another talented drummer who's motivation was lodged in his ego. In his large ego he had a bigger band, a better band, longer solos, played louder and faster and under bigger spotlights than Krupa. But his large ego was so self infatuated that he felt he was better than everyone else. In the end, he pushed away lots of great talent and was regarded as one of the most demanding and most difficult musicians to work with. I doubt you'd last in a band with Buddy Rich. If you want a big band drummer (which I assumed there wouldn't be too many people looking for Big Band nowadays which is why there's only one on the list), Buddy, Krupa, their both great I just figured Gene would be the one to work with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCF9wgMU7es

Gadd's awesome. No question. You could easily argue he's one of the greatest drummers ever. Like I said, I flipped a coin between Keltner and Gadd. Gadd's done a lot more work in the last few years than Keltner so maybe he's back on top again, I don't know. I just wanted someone polar opposite to Vinnie. Only had room for 10 names. I know I know, It's Steve Gadd. I think secretly it's cause he plays with Clapton I kept him off.

Thomas Lang... Still waitin for a feel here... seen him a few times. He plays like he's practicing. Like Mangini only slower. Pick him.

They'd pick Barker cause they haven't heard of little know John Bonham.

Yes this field is very Narrow and All the drummers are very, VERY Similar. Oh no wait... they aren't. I Wouldn't take most of those drummers myself the list is again, Who would YOU take for YOUR album. In the first post I even mention can you even pick one? Hey, why don't you start your own thread called my favorite drummers and put up a poll. You only get 10 names though. I can't see you leaving off any great ones. No serious. Give it a try. See if you leave any genre/style out? Go on... git!
Mar 18 2010 11:01am
im trying to tell you that making a this poll is still based on your own opinions

if i was to pick a drummer to play on my album, firstly id pick myself, then id take thomas lang

im not trying to tell you that these drummers arent good, im trying to say u missed out loads^

it shouldnt really be a poll topic

also the comment about buddy rich, its his band and he hires them to play

if you hired krupa and he didnt give you what you wanted, wouldnt u be pissed?

and to be picky: the title says "Best Drummer?"

which im sure most people would assume means who is the best drummer, which once again based on their opinions
Mar 18 2010 11:14am
Quote (hellohal @ Mar 18 2010 12:01pm)
im trying to tell you that making a this poll is still based on your own opinions

if i was to pick a drummer to play on my album, firstly id pick myself, then id take thomas lang

im not trying to tell you that these drummers arent good, im trying to say u missed out loads^

it shouldnt really be a poll topic

also the comment about buddy rich, its his band and he hires them to play

if you hired krupa and he didnt give you what you wanted, wouldnt u be pissed?

and to be picky: the title says "Best Drummer?"

which im sure most people would assume means who is the best drummer, which once again based on their opinions

Yes keep working on your reading and I don't mean notaion. Even says in the title, "is it possible to pick?" and "if you could have one drummer do all your music, who would you pick." Not who is better, who is your favorite, who's not on this list, could you do it yourself? There's blogs for all the garbage you've been posting in this poll. Since I haven't voted I'll put you down for Mangini cause that's the one out of all of them you'd pick. thanks for participating in my private study.
Mar 18 2010 12:25pm
Quote (Superchum @ 18 Mar 2010 17:14)
Yes keep working on your reading and I don't mean notaion. Even says in the title, "is it possible to pick?" and "if you could have one drummer do all your music, who would you pick." Not who is better, who is your favorite, who's not on this list, could you do it yourself? There's blogs for all the garbage you've been posting in this poll. Since I haven't voted I'll put you down for Mangini cause that's the one out of all of them you'd pick. thanks for participating in my private study.

Best Drummer?
An opinion

is it possible to pick?
another opinion

when you can play as good as any of the people we've listed, then you can start saying how each of our favourites cant play/groove/keep a temper/play with the same people/move the drumkit to the fornt of the stage etc etc
until then stfu

what ive been trying to get to is
another pointless thread is pointless

This post was edited by hellohal on Mar 18 2010 12:26pm
Gold: 80.00
Mar 18 2010 01:49pm
CONCUR ON KOLLIAS AND PEART. and there must be room for Nicholas Barker.
Mar 18 2010 03:51pm
Quote (hellohal @ Mar 18 2010 01:25pm)
Best Drummer?
An opinion

is it possible to pick?
another opinion

when you can play as good as any of the people we've listed, then you can start saying how each of our favourites cant play/groove/keep a temper/play with the same people/move the drumkit to the fornt of the stage etc etc
until then stfu

what ive been trying to get to is
another pointless thread is pointless

You see novice, this is a poll for me to gather a small number of opinions on what type of drummer is more desired. It's my poll, not yours. I want to know these peoples opinions, you don't. I started this thread to gather this information, you didn't. You do what every other shitty music know-it-all does, you judged. Best drummer is a lure. I elaborated in the thread and never said in the poll quest who's the best or who's better. This was a simple, opinionated question looking for your opinion and not to be debated with by even me the thread starter. It was for me to look at what kind of drumming are the masses looking for. Go home and practice your 32nd note flam drags at 188bpm while counting 1/20ths on your hi hat and 1/8 note triplets on your bass drum. Then you won't need Thomas Lang to jerk off too.

Thanks for voting Mangini.

BTW, labeled your own cymbals wrong in your photo. Keep working on your reading.

This post was edited by Superchum on Mar 18 2010 03:58pm
Mar 18 2010 05:35pm
Quote (Superchum @ 18 Mar 2010 21:51)
You see novice, this is a poll for me to gather a small number of opinions on what type of drummer is more desired. It's my poll, not yours. I want to know these peoples opinions, you don't. I started this thread to gather this information, you didn't. You do what every other shitty music know-it-all does, you judged. Best drummer is a lure. I elaborated in the thread and never said in the poll quest who's the best or who's better. This was a simple, opinionated question looking for your opinion and not to be debated with by even me the thread starter. It was for me to look at what kind of drumming are the masses looking for. Go home and practice your 32nd note flam drags at 188bpm while counting  1/20ths on your hi hat and 1/8 note triplets on your bass drum. Then you won't need Thomas Lang to jerk off too.

Thanks for voting Mangini.

BTW, labeled your own cymbals wrong in your photo. Keep working on your reading.

sorry ive updated my drum kit since then, ive got rid of the 14" zxt and i havent uploaded the new photo

i didnt vote mangini and ive just listned to him, really disliked the way he seemed to just play blastbeats

also, practicing rudiments is bad?

also, u missed out jojo mayer

also u haventy said anything about a "desired musician"
if u just wanted to find that out, why did u put names and not just the type of drummer they are?
because im pretty sure most of these drummers do morethan just the labels you've given them

This post was edited by hellohal on Mar 18 2010 05:37pm
Gold: 18,204.00
Mar 18 2010 06:48pm
who the hell are these guys and bands you listed?
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll