d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Looking For Drum Opinions
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,065.69
Feb 2 2010 04:26pm
Quote (Ididitfortehlulz @ 2 Feb 2010 21:39)
Pearl's stock heads are fantastic.

When buying a drum set you should look very closely at the type of bass drum you are getting.

The Tama offers an ultra deep bass drum at 20''. This is give you a very very loud feel ( this also has to do with the type of wood. and what types of lows meds and highs the wood gives you as well as the thickness, be sure to research) So Either get medium or thin wood.

The Pearl doesn't specify how large or deep the bass drum is, but it has 10mm thickness, so be sure that if you are set on buying the Pearl to get a smaller bass drum to compensate. Otherwise you will get a horrible sound.

Gretsch produces wonderful drum sets ( I've only had problems with their snares) but the one you are looking at has a 9'' X 12'' mounted tom. This will make it a bitch to find heads for.

12" toms?

yeh, so unusual
Gold: 228.00
Feb 2 2010 04:32pm
Quote (Ididitfortehlulz @ Feb 2 2010 04:39pm)
Pearl's stock heads are fantastic.

When buying a drum set you should look very closely at the type of bass drum you are getting.

The Tama offers an ultra deep bass drum at 20''. This is give you a very very loud feel ( this also has to do with the type of wood. and what types of lows meds and highs the wood gives you as well as the thickness, be sure to research) So Either get medium or thin wood.

The Pearl doesn't specify how large or deep the bass drum is, but it has 10mm thickness, so be sure that if you are set on buying the Pearl to get a smaller bass drum to compensate. Otherwise you will get a horrible sound.

Gretsch produces wonderful drum sets ( I've only had problems with their snares) but the one you are looking at has a 9'' X 12'' mounted tom. This will make it a bitch to find heads for.

Regardless of which set I get, I am buying new heads.. so I'm not-so-much worried about whether the stock heads are good quality or not. The Pearl was my least favorite, out of these three. The Tama is still my favorite, as one of my favorite drummers uses the set. I'll probably wind up going into Guitar Center or Sam Ash and asking if they'll let me give each set a test run (although that doesn't tell me how they'll last in the long run). The main things I am looking for are: A heavier sound, good quality hardware, and longevity.
Feb 2 2010 04:39pm
Quote (Alexcore @ 2 Feb 2010 22:32)
Regardless of which set I get, I am buying new heads.. so I'm not-so-much worried about whether the stock heads are good quality or not. The Pearl was my least favorite, out of these three. The Tama is still my favorite, as one of my favorite drummers uses the set. I'll probably wind up going into Guitar Center or Sam Ash and asking if they'll let me give each set a test run (although that doesn't tell me how they'll last in the long run). The main things I am looking for are: A heavier sound, good quality hardware, and longevity.

heavier sound i assume u mean metal??

my gretsch sings, but not particularly low, although i do have them tuned up a few notes

when u go to the drum shop, dont just ask to play these kits, ask to play everything in your price range

also, which drummer plays the tama hyperdrive?
Gold: 2.34
Feb 2 2010 04:40pm
Quote (Alexcore @ Feb 2 2010 06:32pm)

What a coincidence! One of my favorite drummers uses a Tama!!
Feb 2 2010 04:42pm
Quote (hellohal @ Feb 2 2010 05:39pm)
heavier sound i assume u mean metal??

my gretsch sings, but not particularly low, although i do have them tuned up a few notes

when u go to the drum shop, dont just ask to play these kits, ask to play everything in your price range

also, which drummer plays the tama hyperdrive?

Yes, I mean metal. More specifically: Technical Metal / Progressive Metal

I might have to go back there a few times in order to do that, as it would take awhile, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Blake Richardson of Between the Buried and Me. He may have a different set now, but I know he used the Tama set at one point in time.
Gold: 1.00
Feb 2 2010 04:45pm
Used by a famous drummer does not the best drumset make.
Feb 2 2010 04:48pm
Quote (PSPZorZ @ Feb 2 2010 05:45pm)
Used by a famous drummer does not the best drumset make.

I know it doesn't, but listening to it being played well gives me an idea of how the set can sound. Also, I never said it is the 'best'. The 'best kit' will vary from person-to-person (based on size, playing style, and sound).
Feb 2 2010 04:57pm
Quote (Alexcore @ 2 Feb 2010 22:42)
Yes, I mean metal. More specifically: Technical Metal / Progressive Metal

I might have to go back there a few times in order to do that, as it would take awhile, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Blake Richardson of Between the Buried and Me. He may have a different set now, but I know he used the Tama set at one point in time.

he used a middle range tama? seems werid :D

id probably say the tama is better for this but i havent played around with the tuning that much on my gretsch to see how low it will go

the shallower toms give it a more attacking sound which is beneficial for playing fast as you can get them exactly where u want them
Feb 2 2010 05:09pm
Quote (hellohal @ Feb 2 2010 05:57pm)
he used a middle range tama? seems werid :D

id probably say the tama is better for this but i havent played around with the tuning that much on my gretsch to see how low it will go

the shallower toms give it a more attacking sound which is beneficial for playing fast as you can get them exactly where u want them

Yeah, it seemed weird to me too :P .

How is the suspension system on the tom holders on the Gretsch set? It seems pretty neat.
Feb 3 2010 07:31am
Quote (Alexcore @ 2 Feb 2010 23:09)
Yeah, it seemed weird to me too :P .

How is the suspension system on the tom holders on the Gretsch set? It seems pretty neat.

gives them sooooooooooooooo much freedom they resonate so freely

p.s. although u might like the sound of that drummers kit
yours will sound a fuckloads different as they change the sound so much through editing^
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll