Gold: 8.00
Warn: 100%
Nov 17 2009 04:13pm
Quote (Innocent @ Nov 14 2009 12:38pm)
there's your problem

Would have to agree.
Gold: 2.00
Nov 17 2009 06:30pm
Quote (juliusjuice @ Nov 17 2009 03:11pm)
there are a few options:

raise the bridge/nut -there is a very important balance between the two. when you adjust one you usually must adjust the other

adjust the truss rod in the center of the bridge:
http://www.seagullguitars.com/double-action-truss-rod-adj.jpg

use a different gauge of string. did you just switch to lighter strings? if so they arent pulling as much as heavier ones, youll need to adjust something to account for the tension difference or switch back to the old gauge.

feel free to pm me if i can help!

ive raised the bridge pretty high, and its still not helping. its really weird, cause even playing it open it seems to have a little vibrato, and then 1-11 fret is vibrato'd (the buzz im having) and then its starts again at the 15th fret, and continues to the 22-24th fret.

my current guage im using is medium in standard. i think its .10. the previous set i used was a mix between light and medium i think. (i had 2 packs of colored strings, and mixed the 2 colors)

i know about adjusting the spring tension on floyd roses, and such

Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Nov 17 2009 03:30pm)
In my experience with my Gibson SG, i've had fretbuzz above the 12th, but not really below it. I would give the guitar a DEEP clean, and take it apart, then put it all back together again.

Long job, but it gives such a feeling of satisfaction ^_^

Option 2 : Lower the bridge to the lowest point, and find the correct action by adjusting the turny things until you have no fretbuzz. If that doesn't work, then your neck is fucked. I would go straight to where you got it from, cry hissy tantrum spit poop and demand help. It might cost though

bought it on eeebay :/

Quote (Heritic @ Nov 17 2009 04:13pm)
Would have to agree.

nn hate on my floyd rose :)

just because you dont like them doesnt mean they are bad.

This post was edited by Guitarheromania on Nov 17 2009 06:31pm
Gold: 19,597.59
Nov 17 2009 07:39pm
Quote (Guitarheromania @ Nov 17 2009 07:30pm)
ive raised the bridge pretty high, and its still not helping. its really weird, cause even playing it open it seems to have a little vibrato, and then 1-11 fret is vibrato'd (the buzz im having) and then its starts again at the 15th fret, and continues to the 22-24th fret.

my current guage im using is medium in standard. i think its .10. the previous set i used was a mix between light and medium i think. (i had 2 packs of colored strings, and mixed the 2 colors)

i know about adjusting the spring tension on floyd roses, and such

i meant the truss rod, the rod that runs through the neck, it flexes and needs to be attended to every once in a while -all you need is a philips screwdriver and the right size allen wrench. whenever you buy an instrument off eebay it needs professional setup! i work in a violin shop where we get repair work from eebay purchases every day, violins need much more setup than guitars ofc.

if adjusting the truss rod doesnt do it you might need a fret dress or refret -usually one of the frets pops out a little bit or the others, from 1-11 in this case, have worn down so the 12 sits a too high. a fret dress should be about $40, refret is about $250-300. bottom line, take it to a luthier, not "guitar center" or "musicians friend outlet", somewhere that knows how to repair the problem permanently. most places adjust the truss rod until the neck looks straight and the action feels right. the problem is if the rod is flexed improperly your neck warps, causing serious irrepairable (unless you re-neck the thing) intonation, string height (action) and neck curvature problems. these guitars often end up as wall decor.

why cant all instruments be fretless!!!!

This post was edited by juliusjuice on Nov 17 2009 07:40pm
Nov 17 2009 07:45pm
Quote (juliusjuice @ Nov 17 2009 07:39pm)
i meant the truss rod, the rod that runs through the neck, it flexes and needs to be attended to every once in a while -all you need is a philips screwdriver and the right size allen wrench. whenever you buy an instrument off eeebay it needs professional setup! i work in a violin shop where we get repair work from eeebay purchases every day, violins need much more setup than guitars ofc.

if adjusting the truss rod doesnt do it you might need a fret dress or refret -usually one of the frets pops out a little bit or the others, from 1-11 in this case, have worn down so the 12 sits a too high. a fret dress should be about $40, refret is about $250-300. bottom line, take it to a luthier, not "guitar center" or "musicians friend outlet", somewhere that knows how to repair the problem permanently. most places adjust the truss rod until the neck looks straight and the action feels right. the problem is if the rod is flexed improperly your neck warps, causing serious irrepairable (unless you re-neck the thing) intonation, string height (action) and neck curvature problems. these guitars often end up as wall decor.

why cant all instruments be fretless!!!!

i know all about the truss rod, and action and stuff. but its not the truss rod, cause the neck is straight, and no other string has buzz
Gold: 3.00
Nov 17 2009 10:19pm
Quote (Innocent @ Nov 14 2009 11:38am)
there's your problem

And your problem is posting innaccurate information.

I own a schecter c-1 Hellraiser FR and it experiences ZERO fret buzz. Sounds beautiful. I've also had it for 2 years, and it's been played pretty hard. Schecter makes good guitars, and Floyd Rose makes decent whammy bars.
Nov 18 2009 02:37pm
Quote (Makemetalmusic @ Nov 17 2009 10:19pm)
And your problem is posting innaccurate information.

I own a schecter c-1 Hellraiser FR and it experiences ZERO fret buzz. Sounds beautiful. I've also had it for 2 years, and it's been played pretty hard. Schecter makes good guitars, and Floyd Rose makes decent whammy bars.

i wanted to get a hellraiser instead of the one i got, but they were too expensive for me >.<
Nov 18 2009 07:20pm
then get a straight edge and a bright light, hold it onto the frets and see if the 12th fret sticks up, probably just needs a fret dress. try to rock the straight edge back and forth and see if there is any "play". when i say straight edge, i mean a professionally made straight edge, not a ruler.
Nov 18 2009 09:48pm
Quote (juliusjuice @ Nov 18 2009 07:20pm)
then get a straight edge and a bright light, hold it onto the frets and see if the 12th fret sticks up, probably just needs a fret dress. try to rock the straight edge back and forth and see if there is any "play". when i say straight edge, i mean a professionally made straight edge, not a ruler.

like hold the guitar on my lap, and put the straightedge on the fret board?
Nov 19 2009 07:46pm
Quote (Guitarheromania @ Nov 18 2009 10:48pm)
like hold the guitar on my lap, and put the straightedge on the fret board?

yes, make sure its in a well lit area, it is hard to tell with frets (hard enough on fretless fingerboard)
Nov 21 2009 01:30pm
Quote (juliusjuice @ Nov 19 2009 07:46pm)
yes, make sure its in a well lit area, it is hard to tell with frets (hard enough on fretless fingerboard)

what kind of straightedge do you recommend?
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll