d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Need Help With Guitar > Im Starting Out And
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Nov 6 2009 11:31pm
Quote (peterski7 @ 6 Nov 2009 19:00)
i cant do any fucking chordes because i keep damping the strings i have massive hands, and ugh i need tips dont say keep yoru hands at 90 degreese because i am

your fingers arent positioned well.

be grateful that you have llong fingers becuase that way you can stretch farther to reach some sweet notes :)

look at Paul Gilbert that dude is like 6'5-6 and he's a beast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYlx5gW90Aw

This post was edited by gomex799 on Nov 6 2009 11:31pm
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Nov 7 2009 07:27am
Regardless of hand size, this is often a problem for beginners, it requires practice and it can be helped with a bit of advice from a more experienced guitarist, preferably a guitar teacher who is trained in teaching music.

Quote (Guitarheromania @ Nov 7 2009 01:01am)
ijust try using a different position with your fingertip

if youre playing something on the low e, try using your finger tip the farthest away from the fingernail as you can, allowing more space, and same with the high e, just use you fingertip close to your nail

as you gain finger strength, and finger coordination, you sould start being able to play without much of the above needed.

Also useful advice.

Though you should be able to play chords with any size strings, you may want to try some heavier strings - they have numerous benefits including a "bigger" tone, and as a big guy myself, I have moved towards heavier strings a few times as my fingers have gotten stronger, and the rewards in tone are great!
Gold: 2.00
Nov 7 2009 08:11am
thanks for everyoens adivice i will try to keep my wrist flat an dmy fingers a 90 degres with the fret boared and useing my finger tips. is there other tips so i dont practice with bad habbits?
Gold: 4,883.80
Nov 7 2009 08:20am
Quote (peterski7 @ 7 Nov 2009 14:11)
thanks for everyoens adivice i will try to keep my wrist flat an dmy fingers a 90 degres with the fret boared and useing my finger tips. is there other tips so i dont practice with bad habbits?

Always have a good posture for playing guitar. Don't ever cross your legs and attempt to play as you are straining your back, neck and arms.
Keep a tuner handy at all times
Learn the chords. A, C, D, G, E, B, F, Em, Am, Dm, Asus, Gm

Chords are more important than individual notes. Chords = songs. Individual notes = not much
Gold: 0.00
Nov 7 2009 08:47am
Quote (peterski7 @ Nov 7 2009 08:11am)

Keep your nails short, at least on ur left hand (assuming you are right handed). Posture it's an important thing too but I've found that for some reason, the way I sit affects my playing, like.. to play particular songs, or just different stuff I have to sit or position my guitar differently in order to play it better specially on the acoustic guitar, so I would tell you to try different positions and just sit the way its comfortable for you

Disclaimer:Might be a bad advice so follow it at your own risk :D
Gold: 2.00
Nov 7 2009 09:10am
btw i rented a guitar for the month to se eif i liek it i have a ephiphone SG with some crappy amp :P anyways thanks for help. and when i play guitar my neck ends up hurting from leaning over to see the fret board
Gold: 0.00
Nov 8 2009 03:52am
Quote (peterski7 @ Nov 7 2009 09:10am)
btw i rented a guitar for the month to se eif i liek it i have a ephiphone SG with some crappy amp :P anyways thanks for help. and when i play guitar my neck ends up hurting from leaning over to see the fret board

lol, dont need to see the fretboard, your guitar should have little markers on the side of the neck, so you can use those as a reference, with time you won't even have to look at them.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll