d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Play Songs By Ear, How?
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.49
Oct 29 2009 03:21pm
I can play nearly all songs by ear - some right away, some i need 5 mins of trial/error with.
I never learned a method or anything, i simply figured it out myself.
when i was little, i could hear the "melody" and play it on the piano correctly, but not the chords.
the day i started being better at finding chords that fit, was the day i started listening to the bass instead of the melody instrument.
the bass always gives a clue about how to figure out the chord. just start being aware of the bass.. its really impossible not listening to the melody, so the bass-thing will be an addition.

its not a flawless method, but it might help you like it helped me.

regards.

This post was edited by JePeuxVoler on Oct 29 2009 03:23pm
Retired Moderator
Gold: 10,720.00
Trader: Trusted
Oct 29 2009 03:56pm
Quote (Derkaderk @ 29 Oct 2009 17:34)
Is there really a method? You can either hear the notes with clarity or you can't...When I learn songs by ear, I just look for root notes first and expand from there. If you're trying to copy another artist's solo note for note, shame on you. Use some improvisation and make it your own.

Covering other another artist's work is not something to shame over. Starting at covering and then improvising is something I prefer.

Quote (Guitarheromania @ 29 Oct 2009 17:50)
well, i would suggest starting with an easier song, stricken seems pretty advanced imo if youre just starting out playing by ear

(and i also heard most the tabs for stricken were inaccurate)

but like you said, down with the sickness should be a good place to start

Yes and I've seen these tabs, just gives you more mess. :)

Quote (JePeuxVoler @ 29 Oct 2009 22:21)
I can play nearly all songs by ear - some right away, some i need 5 mins of trial/error with.
I never learned a method or anything, i simply figured it out myself.
when i was little, i could hear the "melody" and play it on the piano correctly, but not the chords.
the day i started being better at finding chords that fit, was the day i started listening to the bass instead of the melody instrument.
the bass always gives a clue about how to figure out the chord. just start being aware of the bass.. its really impossible not listening to the melody, so the bass-thing will be an addition.

its not a flawless method, but it might help you like it helped me.

regards.

Yes, of course. I don't really think of the bass, but it's probably something I should listen more often to have a better idea of the chord which is played, thanks.

Btw, it's easier for me to hear a melody and play it on the piano, than doing it on the guitar. Even though I literally never have played piano.
Gold: 0.49
Oct 29 2009 04:08pm
Quote (Serria @ 29 Oct 2009 22:56)
Covering other another artist's work is not something to shame over. Starting at covering and then improvising is something I prefer.

Yes and I've seen these tabs, just gives you more mess. :)

Yes, of course. I don't really think of the bass, but it's probably something I should listen more often to have a better idea of the chord which is played, thanks.

Btw, it's easier for me to hear a melody and play it on the piano, than doing it on the guitar. Even though I literally never have played piano.

when im humming a song, i always hum the bass, and ppl who dont know jack about music are always like; wtf?
it's a good thing to do, to train your ear. sounds weird sometimes, though.
Gold: 205.00
Oct 30 2009 08:24am
Quote (Serria @ Oct 23 2009 11:06am)
I've played guitar for a while now, but I have troubles learning the notes which are played in the songs. I normally ask my guitar teacher or unfortunately look at tabs.

So, I got tired of looking at tabs and I really want to master the skill of listening to a song and learn it by ear. Therefore I downloaded a program called amazing slow downer. It slows down the song without changing the pitch, which is great.

However, I need some further help/tips. I am currently trying to learn this song: [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOWSNHwph7k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOWSNHwph7k[/URL]

I can hear the open string and it seems like it fits with my deep C, so I've tuned the guitar to drop C. I think the tuning is alright, but I have hard time to learn it by ear. Does anyone have some tips, that might be useful?

I have listened to the song now for quite some time and slowed it down etc., but it seems like I am lost on the guitar neck :)

keep pluggin along, there is no real way to make you listen to a song and you will be able to play it. If you have been playing for 20+ years then maybe it would be easier for you, otherwise it takes a lot longer then people usually say it does
Gold: 1,299.00
Oct 30 2009 11:21am
I've been playing all my life but rlly got the rythm about 4-5 yrs ago. I can play by ear pretty well, playing by ear isn't just you listen to the song then you start playing it. First you listen closely pick out the strumming patterns then you try different chords that you think may fit and put them both togeather. Playing by ear is pretty much just messing around with stuff you already know and trying different methods until you figure out the song.
Gold: 0.00
Oct 30 2009 11:44am
this skill is acquired with time and years of practice practice with songs like "marry had a little lamb" not disturbed lol. just go get tabs. www.ultimate-guitar.com
Retired Moderator
Oct 31 2009 01:53pm
Quote (Boneflip38 @ 30 Oct 2009 18:44)
this skill is acquired with time and years of practice practice with songs like "marry had a little lamb" not disturbed lol.  just go get tabs. www.ultimate-guitar.com

Ye, probably started out pretty hard. I will try with some easy songs and start building it up.

What I've figured out; chords are pretty much the key. Seems like I can play chords to everything, also once I've got the chords right I might be able to find the single notes as well or vice verca.
Gold: 357.77
Oct 31 2009 04:19pm
Quote (Serria @ 29 Oct 2009 17:17)
Bumping, because there might be some nice tips.

Ey mate, Mhh i see if i can find my old ''learning homepage'' , The song is played in a style so its made for learning it on guitar :D.. Ive never went to any lesson, I learned at home 100% .

-I try search for it :)
Retired Moderator
Nov 2 2009 10:37am
Quote (Jogamok1 @ 31 Oct 2009 23:19)
Ey mate, Mhh i see if i can find my old ''learning homepage'' , The song is played in a style so its made for learning it on guitar :D.. Ive never went to any lesson, I learned at home 100% .

-I try search for it :)

I just need to learn how to learn songs by ear. I know the basics of playing guitar though.
Gold: 1,630.00
Nov 2 2009 12:23pm
Music Theory ftw.

Learn scales, learn to recognize rhythms and what key songs are in, and you'll be all set.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll