d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Tips For Finger Cuts. > Topic
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Oct 18 2009 10:27pm
Quote (dreu21952006 @ Sat, Oct 17 2009, 09:11pm)
Sigh...

Other than Linux and Zodi , your all useless. My fingers ARE calloused , to a point where i can tap on a surface and it sound like im using my nails. The fact I play literally 3-9 hours a day plays a big part in that.

Your calluses should not be hard, they should be soft but stiff. While your finger heals, moisturize your hands now and continue doing this at a time of day when you are not playing guitar - dry skin gets hard and breaks or simply breaks/cuts/rips. The most common cause of skin being dry or weak is exposure to chemicals, everything from automotive fluids to dish soap - always wash your hands with a gentle hand soap, don't use dish soap or anything else harsher (wear gloves while you wash dishes, wash your car, change your oil, etc).

A few tips on technique to help your hands:

Don't hit the strings so hard, a touch only needs to be light enough to fret the string and let it ring out and not slip when you pick (don't pick too hard either, I used to do this). If you strings are touching the fretboard, you're pushing too hard, especially if you are using 30/42/52 tuned to standard. This is very apparent if you ever have a chance to play a scalloped fretboard, though that is unlikely unless you pick up Malmsteen's signature model.

Observe how your fingers hit the strings, what angle, what part of your finger. Compare this to other players who play a lot (look up any qualified instructional guitarist on YouTube, there will be hand close-ups). Turning your fingertips a bit can get rid of a lot of pain, though you will need to build up calluses in these spots like you are new again.

Limit how much you play by how your hands feel - it takes years to build up finger strength, durability, calluses, and ensure repetition of proper technique - poor technique can hurt your hands, not just your playing (another one I learned the hard way). If your hands hurt after an hour of playing, take a break. Never push yourself when experiencing physical pain from playing guitar - warm up at low to mid tempo, stretch your hands, and again take good care of your hands. The risk of serious injury in the long term is very high if you don't warm up and don't take good care of your hands and yourself while playing 3-9 hours per day. There are a lot of great warm-up exercises, Marty Friedman had a great simple chromatic one playing with all four fingers, sliding up one fret, continuing playing on the next string to play every note in the chromatic scale. Kris Norris has a really cool slow chromatic sweep pattern exercise on one of his DVDs (second one I believe) - chromatic exercises are good because you use all of your fingers and they aren't nearly as distracting as altered scale exercises.
Gold: 1,299.00
Oct 19 2009 08:48am
Just get a lower tension guitar and new strings.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll