d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Any Other Career Musicians Out There?
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 131.50
Sep 21 2009 06:53pm
Quote (aokmaster15 @ Thu, 17 Sep 2009, 04:22)
id like to. but im studying marketing in college just in case the rockstar dream crashes.

take it from me - forget it if u wanne play metal

but hey do like me - screw the cash and stay true to the spirit ;)
Gold: 19,597.59
Sep 21 2009 09:22pm
ive played in working bands and it is hard as shit to get by (i worked my ass off at real job so i could break even touring). as for the comment about needing to play pop to "make it" i would rather work at mcdonalds.

i play a lot of bluegrass. in this genre you have to be pretty damn good to get anywhere as this music is about improvisation. and its not like rock and roll where you take a break every two three songs, try at least three solos per song in any given key (why the hell do singers have to play in B?). it is very hard to keep the creativity flowing and play origional sounding solos every show. if you can pop out solos, write songs, stick it out long enough to get a following and be lucky enough to find people you can get along with on the road, you have a chance at making it in the festival circuit. they pay bands between 2k and 6k at bluegrass festivals (play 4-6 shows over 2-3 days), pay for travel, food and lodging.

my buddies band (the wilders) make alot doing this touring internationally, but there is a huge sacrifice -they are always away from home, when they do come home it is a huge deal, people expect them to play shows every night etc...

This post was edited by juliusjuice on Sep 21 2009 09:23pm
Gold: 1,299.00
Sep 22 2009 08:12am
Quote (Zeros666 @ Tue, Sep 22 2009, 12:53am)
take it from me - forget it if u wanne play metal

but hey do like me - screw the cash and stay true to the spirit ;)

Vouch
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll