d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Iso Tips About Hand Position On A Guitar.
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,299.00
Sep 4 2009 11:23am
Quote (Darkshade @ Fri, Sep 4 2009, 01:02am)
Play the way you feel the most comfortable and can still play clean notes :)

It's just like holding a pick, no matter how you do it, just be comfortable and able to play cleanly.

Ya, screw the music teacher.
Gold: 51,110.09
Sep 6 2009 07:52pm
Play like you feel it's more comfortable. Eventually, if you get into harder stuff, you'll naturally correct your position in order to play those parts properly.

Those are the main points in my opinion:

1- When you play chords, make sure the high E string isn't muted by your palm. The rest is up to you.

2- If you play rock leads, you'll want to have the thumb over the fretboard. This gives more control and strength over the bends and vibratos.

3- If you play classical or sick leads, you'll want to have your thumb in the middle, behind the fretboard. This allows you to stretch easily and you won't injure yourself that way.

At least, that's how I do it.

This post was edited by JesperIF on Sep 6 2009 07:53pm
Gold: 7,165.00
Sep 6 2009 08:17pm
Always practice the correct way, it may seem more comfortable to you now.. the way you play it. But once you reach a higher level of play, you'll be limited to what you can do.
Take your teachers advice, would be my advice to you.

This post was edited by SamYassin on Sep 6 2009 08:22pm
Gold: 1,311.43
Trader: Trusted
Sep 7 2009 02:38pm
Listen man, there are many ways one can play a Guitar, and or hold it. The decision is up to you. Although, there are many confortable ways of holding a Guitar that can harm your hand, joints, arm, back, etc. Your teacher is trying to teach you the proper way of holding the Guitar for a longer lasting play without injuries and or stress on your fingers, palm, etc. I am an experienced Guitar player and I hold the Guitar exactly the way your teacher wants you to learn. It is optional of course.

Many famous Guitar players out there have awkward Guitar holding manners, because they were self taught, and they played the Guitar to their maximum confortability. The thing is that you will get confortable with any position, and or style as long as you spend the time on it, etc. I for one, experienced unconfortability when first teaching myself to do this same thing. Now, because of the practice, I can shred faster, and stretch my fingers wider to reach higher octave notes faster, rather than stressing my fingers to do so. Let me know if you have more Guitar related questions, because I have plenty of answers.

-Ron
Gold: 0.00
Sep 7 2009 06:23pm
The way your teacher is telling you is how I play my classical playing. And also how I try to learn most songs. Once I get the song down, playing it with my hand in the right position, I move to the most comfortable position, which is how you play it. But I learn my fingers before getting comfortable.

I'd practice the way your teacher wants you too, at least while taking lessons from him. But it is easier to get your fingers in position doing it that way.
Gold: 220.00
Sep 7 2009 07:15pm
good form is good to have. Ive been lazy and not putting my strap on my guitar when i play and just leaning my guitar on my body when i sit which puts my hand in an awkward angle, not uncomfortable but just different. Now seem to have a pinched nerve or it may be developing carpel tunnel.
Gold: 0.00
Sep 8 2009 12:04am
if you want to be technical then ya, thumb on the back of the neck is what to do

I personally play how you do too and ive seen many others play like that as well without it being sloppy/ineffective

i would also say it depends on the type of music aswell. for metal you would probably want to learn the correct positioning but i say do what feels natural.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll