d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > How Much Time Did It Took You To Become > A Good Guitarist?
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Aug 7 2009 10:54am
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Fri, Aug 7 2009, 04:42pm)
Time wise, I don't know. But I realised i was certainly a good guitarist when I could play Stairway, start to finish and have a complete solo in it.

I would say.... 5 years, which was how much time it took me to learn it properly, or get round to it should i say

Yeah man, like at first i started tackling hard songs and learning only bits and pieces and then i found myself
coming back to learn the rest once my technique was up to par.
Gold: Locked
Aug 7 2009 12:27pm
it takes a lot of time invested into it to become good. As time goes on, your taste in music will change. I started out listening to mainstream rock/alternative then went into black/death metal and soon progressed to classic rock and eventually ended up listening to classical/jazz. This was in a time span of about 5-6 years.
Gold: 7,065.69
Aug 7 2009 12:41pm
this is how long it takes to get "good" at drums anyway

1 month = woohoo im so good

6months = wow im pretty dam good, lets make a band

1year = omfg im amazing, i sucked 1 year ago

2 years = im getting pretty good, last year i sucked

4 years = cool, my grooves are getting tight

5years = cool, my drumming is really improving, but i want to get better and better at this, this and this

the moral of the story, is not how good you get, its how much u want to improve
Gold: 41.60
Aug 7 2009 12:44pm
Do you enjoy playing the guitar?
If you do something wrong. It should be a learning curve, not a stressfull thing.
Gold: 2,496.00
Aug 7 2009 01:00pm
Quote (aokmaster15 @ Fri, Aug 7 2009, 04:31pm)
Dont base your learning off of what you see others play, base it off what you played the day before

This is important! Of course it's really fun to play with other guitarists, but don't get down just because they're alot better than you at the moment. If you train and learn you can achieve any desired level, but be true to your own style.
Gold: 2,013.51
Aug 7 2009 01:03pm
remember to play stuff you like aswell, not only hard practice, you improve with the love for music and the happiness you get while playing.
that goes for all insturments, im a drummer not a guitarist.
Gold: 655.00
Aug 7 2009 01:17pm
i been playing a year and im still shit.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 7 2009 02:06pm
Time doesn't mean anything.
I've been playing for 3 years.

One day I feel confident and think I can play anything
The next day I want to break everything in site because I think I suck so much

Just play and have fun bro.

Edit: And it never helps to see little 12 year old kids who are smaller than their guitars playing things you can't play

This post was edited by x]FoRsaKeN[x on Aug 7 2009 02:08pm
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Aug 7 2009 03:02pm
You have only been playing for one month, but now you are certainly better than you were two weeks ago. In another month you'll be even better, and in another year you will find yourself on another level.

Don't try to rush yourself, enjoy how you can play and challenge yourself to take it a little bit further each day. I have been playing guitar for over five years, and every day that I take some time to focus on guitar, warm up, and just practice, I feel more comfortable with my playing. If you can play something without error and without struggling one out of ten times, keep playing it, keep trying, slow it down a bit if you need to, and with practice you will be able to play it every time. You don't end up great overnight, but if you spend a few hours practicing, you will be improve.

How long did it take me to become a good guitarist? I thought it was awesome when I learned how to play a few simple riffs from songs a few weeks after I got a guitar, two years later when I moved from a cheap starter guitar to a nicer guitar, I played a lot and tried to play some more complex Death riffs at slower speeds, and over a few months I was able to struggle through each riff at a time. A few more years later, I can play the riffs with precise control of my phrasing and I can play through tougher songs, and I am working on more advanced techniques - I get a bit better every day and I enjoy what I can play, even if I can only split up some complex solos into parts. This spring I set aside a week where I could practice for at least 4 hours per day, I recorded myself attempting the solo from Darkest Hour's "Tranquil" before and after so I could see how much I learned - I had to play it slower, my transitions between parts were slower, and my sweeping was pretty weak. After that week, I noticed how much better I got, and since then I have worked on it more and I can really see the improvement. Set a goal for something a little bit out of your capabilities and work on it, note the techniques used to play it and go between the actual piece and some exercises of techniques, work on simply playing through scales, and don't tire yourself out if you get frustrated.
Gold: 16,417.00
Aug 7 2009 03:26pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Fri, 7 Aug 2009, 14:02)
You have only been playing for one month, but now you are certainly better than you were two weeks ago. In another month you'll be even better, and in another year you will find yourself on another level.

Don't try to rush yourself, enjoy how you can play and challenge yourself to take it a little bit further each day. I have been playing guitar for over five years, and every day that I take some time to focus on guitar, warm up, and just practice, I feel more comfortable with my playing. If you can play something without error and without struggling one out of ten times, keep playing it, keep trying, slow it down a bit if you need to, and with practice you will be able to play it every time. You don't end up great overnight, but if you spend a few hours practicing, you will be improve.

How long did it take me to become a good guitarist? I thought it was awesome when I learned how to play a few simple riffs from songs a few weeks after I got a guitar, two years later when I moved from a cheap starter guitar to a nicer guitar, I played a lot and tried to play some more complex Death riffs at slower speeds, and over a few months I was able to struggle through each riff at a time. A few more years later, I can play the riffs with precise control of my phrasing and I can play through tougher songs, and I am working on more advanced techniques - I get a bit better every day and I enjoy what I can play, even if I can only split up some complex solos into parts. This spring I set aside a week where I could practice for at least 4 hours per day, I recorded myself attempting the solo from Darkest Hour's "Tranquil" before and after so I could see how much I learned - I had to play it slower, my transitions between parts were slower, and my sweeping was pretty weak. After that week, I noticed how much better I got, and since then I have worked on it more and I can really see the improvement. Set a goal for something a little bit out of your capabilities and work on it, note the techniques used to play it and go between the actual piece and some exercises of techniques, work on simply playing through scales, and don't tire yourself out if you get frustrated.

so far, i can do the first solo of comfortably numb with a little bit of comfort, i can play for whom the bell tolls pretty much all of it and a few things here and there, im practicing a great day for freedom solo, and shine on you crazy diamond intro, not too hard, but i always have to check the tab.. so yeah ive learned all that in 1 month and idk if its good or not
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll