d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Help A New Guitarist Out > All Help Is Apreciated
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 19,597.59
Jul 16 2009 04:08pm
best way to improve is to play with people around your skill level. and it makes it much more fun too.
Gold: 124.00
Jul 16 2009 05:09pm
Quote (Gigga @ Thu, Jul 16 2009, 04:04pm)
Okay. you should try out whoracles suggestion. It is boring to practice technices(not songs) for hours, but you will get better if you do that.
But you can ofcourse learn easy songs too.
examples on songs that are nice to learn in the beginning:
Starway To Heaven (all exept for the solos=P)
Johnny Cash songs (don't know if black metal guys like his music^^) i listen to both..
Intros in metallica songs are great too, like fade to black, one, nothing else matters(if you don't already know any of those)

When you start learning solos, remember that you use the pick correctly. hit the strings down then up,down,up--- and use your wrist.
If you do this you will later be able to play very fast.
songs with awsome solos that are nice to begin with:
Brothers in arms- Dire Straits
Wish You Where here by pink floyd is also nice to learn. the solos are not very hard.
Santana
other Pink floyd songs like: shine on you crazy diamond, Money
Hotel California- Eagles

Anyway, when you start playing guitar solos you will probably come across a technice called ''Bending'', which is bending the string=P
for example:

-----------3- bend so it sound like--5---

works best on the light strings. You need to practice this alot to manage to hit the right tone every time.

Hope some of this is useful for you.

just because i havent been playing for a long time doesnt mean im not familiar with music.i can already play the intros to one, enter sandman the entire she talks to angels song, the notes to day tripper, the notes to elysias incinerate, some nirvana, i know how to bend..

i was jus looking for song suggestions that would help build technique finger strength and speed.

but thanks for the other sutff.

my alternate picking needs some help and speed, but that will come with practice obviously.

alot of my friends have been playing for years and have taught me alot.

but yes i do agree that i need a teacher and will look into getting one once i start school again.

This post was edited by Dirty_monkeyz on Jul 16 2009 05:12pm
Gold: 67.00
Jul 16 2009 05:47pm
I think it is a good idea to get a teacher=)
There are lots of ways to build up strenght and speed. pullon/pulloffs for example in scales up and down fast will train you finger muscles, speasially if you use heavyer strings like 011(i always use 010, and i don't play slower because of that)
I like to practice fast guitarsolos on my acoustic guitar with 012 strings. when you play it again on electric ut is much easyer=D
And practising with metronome is a good idea ofc.
practicing a scale with 1-2-3-4
1-2-3-4 is pointless in my opinion, because you would never use that scale in any song. practice a scale that you could use for something instead. there are the blues scale i wrote above and many others. i practiced this alot:

--10-9--7-------------------------------------------------
------------10-8-7--------------------------------------
---------------------9-7-6------------------------------
--------------------------------9-7---------------------
---------------------------------------10-9-7-----------
------------------------------------------------10-9-7---

To play alternate picking, use only you wrist. do not move your arm. relax your arm, and ofcourse hit the strings up and down.

By the way,
I have played guitar for some years now, but i resently bought a powerball ( http://www.powerballs.com ) ^^
i have not noticed any special improvement in my guitar playing because of it, anyway it's supposed to train finger, wrist and other muscles in you arm. when you get it spinning at 15000 rotations per minute it gives many kilos of force as much as 15 i think.
Anyway, it is very fun and addictive. I higly reccomend it!
Gold: 3,032.85
Jul 17 2009 12:28am
Quote (hellohal @ Thu, Jul 16 2009, 02:02pm)
not to everyones liking and some people may even flame me for saying this

when u 1st start out, id say getting a teacher is a good idea, just to set the basics out for you

teach you some chord patterns etc (im not a guitarist so dont really know about that stuff)

i had a teacher for the 1st 4 years of my drumming (the majority of it)
and i feel it really helped

just putting it out there

teachers are good to have man
Jul 17 2009 12:38am
Quote (AlbinoBlackMan @ Fri, Jul 17 2009, 01:28am)
teachers are good to have man

well i live 8 hours away from where i go 2 college so i didnt think it would be smart to get an instuctor for a month and than have 2 find a new one when i go back to school, im just gonna look around for one when i start school back up.
Gold: 14,419.00
Jul 17 2009 08:47pm
work on your PICKING PICKING PICKING!

picking is one of the biggest part of metal.
Jul 17 2009 11:24pm
Quote (Scherzer @ Fri, Jul 17 2009, 09:47pm)
work on your PICKING PICKING PICKING!

picking is one of the biggest part of metal.

yea i work on my alternate picking everyday
Jul 28 2009 01:28am
Quote (Dirty_monkeyz @ Sat, Jul 18 2009, 12:24am)
yea i work on my alternate picking everyday

any1 hae a link to the penatonic A and B scales.i read learning these and practicing is very good for you,and i cant think of any songs i wanna add to my practice routine.

some songs would be useful even if its just the intros or w/e
Banned
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Jul 28 2009 07:44am
Learn to alternate pick, meaning both up- as downstrokes, used alot in metal; mostly thrash and death.

Scales, as most of the people already stated, are very important.. It's not fun to do, but you have to, just take a scale, practice it till your fingers hurt.

And coordination is also important. If you're planning on playing heavy stuff with sweeps and such, you'll want your picking hand to move in sync with your "fretting" hand.
Gold: 0.00
Jul 29 2009 02:58pm
Quote (Dirty_monkeyz @ Tue, Jul 28 2009, 07:28am)
any1 hae a link to the penatonic A and B scales.i read learning these and practicing is very good for you,and i cant think of any songs i wanna add to my practice routine.

some songs would be useful even if its just the intros or w/e

Are you fucking dense? I have placed two links in your other thread directing you to them.
Do some searching instead of asking everyone else to do your work for you.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll