d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > What Guitar To Get??? > Help
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 220.00
Jul 6 2009 07:30pm
Budget.
Gold: 19,597.59
Jul 6 2009 09:34pm
you could ofc modify your epiphone. just throw some different pickups in it.
Gold: 0.00
Jul 6 2009 09:40pm
Gibson
Washburn
Martin for acoustic
Gold: 98.00
Warn: 100%
Jul 6 2009 11:18pm
Hey guys srry for the lack of info :P

My budget is 500$. I would prefer a guitar around 400$.

Ive been reading all the advice (ty!) and ive looked into some ESP LTD guitars.
Here's one that ive found:

ESP LTD EX260 Electric Guitar
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPEX260

The genre that I mostly play is rock/metal. Here is an example of the kind of music I am really into: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOoTibcd__g

Also, is zzounds.com a good/best place to buy all my musical needs? I got my epiphone les paul spec II from there. Are there better places to buy them from?

Thanks everyone

Oh and should I get another amp? This is the one i have atm: http://www.epiphone.com/press/P_PPStudio10S.jpg
Its kinda small, maybe like 1.5 foot by 1.5 foot.
I dont want to get a new guitar and have it sound like crap cuz of the amp

This post was edited by punknight200 on Jul 6 2009 11:21pm
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Jul 6 2009 11:52pm
i would say you oughta save more money and yes, get a new amp as well. some little tube or hybrid combo would suit you well, and you really can't go wrong with a strat. a mexican strat is around $400, so that'd work out well. if that's the case, make sure you play a bunch of them, cause some are much better than others.
Gold: 98.00
Warn: 100%
Jul 6 2009 11:58pm
Quote (sublime96 @ Tue, Jul 7 2009, 05:52am)
i would say you oughta save more money and yes, get a new amp as well. some little tube or hybrid combo would suit you well, and you really can't go wrong with a strat. a mexican strat is around $400, so that'd work out well. if that's the case, make sure you play a bunch of them, cause some are much better than others.

Another thing is that I dont know much about amps. Theres like tubes, stacks, cabinets, etc.
Gold: 28,628.04
Jul 7 2009 05:48am
Quote (MyExitEmergency @ Mon, Jul 6 2009, 10:20am)
definately WRONG on one of those accounts.  LTD Esp's are exceptional guitars for the money.  They are well crafted and sound waaay better than any other guitar in there price range for rock or metal.  I have had countless LTD's and they were all solid as a rock with quality electronics.  I would recommend LTD to anyone looking for a beginner to intermediate guitar for under 400 bucks.  Squires sucks, but again I have played some of the higher end epiphones and was suprised at the sound quality and craftsmanship of them, with epiphone its a guitar by guitar basis though, not very good QC at there factories.

Quote (aokmaster15 @ Mon, Jul 6 2009, 02:42pm)
Yea you have no idea what you are talking about. Please stop giving advice.

If you want advice you need to tell us what Genre you play, and your budget.

it's all preference.
and i didn't know his budget
since his budget is low i guess he could go with a starter guitar.

Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Jul 7 2009 10:14am
Avoid low end Ibanez and Jackson, they are largely problematic guitars, their low end models do not compete in terms of quality.

Schecter makes good guitars, but their entry level starts around $300 retail price (MSRP is 450 or so), and while they are solid guitars in my experience, they're nothing special at that price range. Their mid range offerings such as the Hellraisers are pretty awesome, if the setup is what you are looking for, they are great for the price.

ESP builds solid guitars, they enjoy a great reputation, and they build a lot of great guitars up through professional level (though I have heard that the extent of their customs is limited). A lot of ESPs are set up with locking nuts, which is fine with most players, but I don't use Floyds, and I always rip up my hand on a locking nut. If you like the setup of an ESP, it is most likely a good guitar for you.

Epiphone and Squier build cheap guitars for people who don't know what to look for in a good guitar other than a name. If you are looking to spend $100 on a guitar, go for something used with a solid neck and bridge with damaged paint, it won't look nice, but at least it'll play decently.

Dean guitars, in my opinion and experience, are the biggest pieces of shit out there. A lot of them play like skateboards with strings, even the high end ones. Every one of the extraordinarily overpriced Dimebag models that I have played (around 15 different models) is priced at around four times what it is worth, and while some of them are priced higher than a guitar from Dean's custom shop, they are of much lower quality. Strangely enough, the one Dean model that I have picked up several times out of interest and has consistently played well as a floor model is the $99 one that chain stores stock - it's nothing special, but it plays better than every other $99 guitar I have played.

BC Rich guitars can go either way. I'm a huge enthusiast, but since HHI took over, they have made a lot of junk. Pretty much every Warlock below the NJ line is just a Bronze series with a different paint/decal, or a licensed Floyd, or a new headstock/inlays, and the prices vary from $150 to $400. The NJ models are good guitars, and the craftsmanship is solid. I don't recommend buying a BC Rich unless you have someone familiar with them to point you to the good models: the Masterpiece Mockingbird is a great guitar for $399. The Bronze series are very inconsistent - some play like POS starter guitars, some play exceptionally well for the price. If you buy a Bronze series, you will need to replace the cavity electronics within a year or two, I replaced both pots, the switch, and the jack, as well as shielding the cavity, all for around $30 using quality parts.
Although I hear a lot of bad things about the Bronze series, I have one and it is really fucking solid. I abuse the hell out of it, I occasionally hit people with it (back end only), and I carry it around in a $5 bass bag because it would cost as much as I paid for the guitar to get a proper case, and it has held up well for years. The neck on it seems to be one in 100-1000+, it plays better than my NJ Ironbird, and almost as well as a lot of the American handmades, and I have had a dozen people play it alongside their ESPs, Schecters, and other higher end guitars, and it plays well.
Still, I advise against most BC Rich models, the bridge on the Bronze series is a pain in the ass to get used to. The Masterpiece Mockingbird is solid if you want a cool looking guitar for playing metal, the pickups are decent, it has big inlays, and it is a pretty nice guitar for the price.
Gold: 25.00
Jul 7 2009 10:31am
Quote (punknight200 @ Mon, Jul 6 2009, 11:18pm)
Hey guys srry for the lack of info :P

My budget is 500$. I would prefer a guitar around 400$.

Ive been reading all the advice (ty!) and ive looked into some ESP LTD guitars.
Here's one that ive found:

ESP LTD EX260 Electric Guitar
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPEX260

The genre that I mostly play is rock/metal. Here is an example of the kind of music I am really into: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOoTibcd__g

Also, is zzounds.com a good/best place to buy all my musical needs? I got my epiphone les paul spec II from there. Are there better places to buy them from?

Thanks everyone

Oh and should I get another amp? This is the one i have atm: http://www.epiphone.com/press/P_PPStudio10S.jpg

with a 500 bucks, I would say go used. With that much you can get a real nice intermediate guitar. You can pick up a gibson sg faded fir 450-500, fender fat strats for around 275-325, and so on. Used you cant go wrong as long as you play the guitar before hand and look around.
Gold: 220.00
Jul 7 2009 03:29pm
Quote (punknight200 @ Tue, Jul 7 2009, 01:18am)

Everyone seemed to ignore this very crucial part of his statement.

The answer is yes. Your new guitar will for the most part sound the same through that amp as your old guitar did.
Therefore if you are looking to improve your sound, and if you feel that the guitar is not as bad as the sound come from your amp then yes new amp is a must. Which gives you a 2 options.

Considering you are a beginner you can go for a relatively cheap solidstate modelling amp. My suggestion is either the Roland Cube or Peavey Vyper.

Seeing that you have a relatively healthy budget at 400, you could save up 200 more dollars and get the Holy Grail of metal amps right now. The Peavey 6505+ 1x12 Combo which is due to come out later this year with an estimated price tag of 600 bucks. This will meet all of your metal needs and more. A large number of metal bands use this amplifier for their tone and it is basically industry standard.

Link to 6505+ 1x12 Combo announcement
http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM09/article/Peavey/Peavey-6505-Combo-Guitar-Amplifier-.html

In my opinion the second option is the best one because you will have an amp that you can keep for a very long time, (actually forever if you like the tone, you would only need an extension cabinet to make it louder if you wanted) thus saving you money (by not having to buy a cheaper amp first and then when you realize that nothing compares to a real tube amp having to sell it and loose money), as well as time (because you realize from the start what good tone really is)

I am assuming that you are fairly young and starting out sometimes is a bitch when it always sounds like crap is coming out of your amp. Also your money situation will be very limited so you would probably not be able to get a new guitar for a while if you whent with option 2. But that is my advice. Always keep in mind

Awesome Guitar + Shit amp = shit sound
Shit Guitar + Awesome amp = Pretty Damn good
Awesome Guitar + Awesome amp = Hot damn.

This post was edited by aokmaster15 on Jul 7 2009 03:30pm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll