d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Proper Way To Apply Influences To Compose Music?
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 28,628.04
Jul 4 2009 10:32pm
you all are saying to just play random things and put things together

it's all about harmony when putting things together though
i could easily make new riffs/licks just by picking up a guitar.

but i actually want to write something masterful, not just improvising over chords etc.
thanks for everyone's input.

Gold: 0.00
Jul 5 2009 09:16pm
Get rid of your sig and i'll tell you
Gold: 1.00
Jul 5 2009 10:59pm
Quote (Act1 @ Sun, Jul 5 2009, 12:32am)
you all are saying to just play random things and put things together

it's all about harmony when putting things together though
i could easily make new riffs/licks just by picking up a guitar.

but i actually want to write something masterful, not just improvising over chords etc.
thanks for everyone's input.

Sometimes it's not about the the theory, it's not about what the book says about writing a song
It's what your heart tells you to play.
I suggest you forget theory for a little while and pick up your instrument and experiment >.<
Gold: 3,032.85
Jul 6 2009 12:59am
Quote (wh0racLe @ Sat, Jul 4 2009, 11:00am)
I have to disagree, ive had a lot more success writing riffs in my head, or on paper, and then playing them out and fixing them.

but hey, different things work for different people.

its easier to come up with more original/creative riffs in your head, because you're not actually applying it atm so you don't have to think as hard about it
Jul 6 2009 06:58am
Quote (PSPZorZ @ Sun, Jul 5 2009, 09:59pm)
Sometimes it's not about the the theory, it's not about what the book says about writing a song
It's what your heart tells you to play.
I suggest you forget theory for a little while and pick up your instrument and experiment >.<

i haven't read a book about composition. i can't find any and no one i know has recommended a book yet.

and im far past just messing around while trying to write stuff.
i'm trying to actually compose stuff now.

i mean fiddling with chords, arpeggiating them, and doing a simple progressions with them gets boring.

--
anyways i'll keep trying thanks for everyones input
Gold: 1.00
Jul 6 2009 12:37pm
Quote (Act1 @ Mon, Jul 6 2009, 08:58am)
i haven't read a book about composition. i can't find any and no one i know has recommended a book yet.

and im far past just messing around while trying to write stuff.
i'm trying to actually compose stuff now.

i mean fiddling with chords, arpeggiating them, and doing a simple progressions with them gets boring.

--
anyways i'll keep trying thanks for everyones input

I'm not referring to a literal book, what I meant is you need to forget theory and mess around just playing. And the fiddling around and following simple progressions is nothing but theory, and that's exactly what you don't want. What I'm suggesting you do isn't "improvising over chords etc." like you are thinking. It's bold experimentation, trying something that very well may not sound good and hoping that something works. Clapton didn't write "Let it Grow" by following theory and keeping in a single key the entire time.
Jul 7 2009 01:15am
Quote (PSPZorZ @ Mon, Jul 6 2009, 11:37am)
I'm not referring to a literal book, what I meant is you need to forget theory and mess around just playing.  And the fiddling around and following simple progressions is nothing but theory, and that's exactly what you don't want.  What I'm suggesting you do isn't "improvising over chords etc." like you are thinking.  It's bold experimentation, trying something that very well may not sound good and hoping that something works.  Clapton didn't write "Let it Grow" by following theory and keeping in a single key the entire time.

not really a fan of clapton
just listened to that song. don't really like it. seems plain and simple over drums and bass and other instruments towards end.

i'm talking about masterpieces by chopin, solo artists, composers for films, and pianists a like.

Jul 7 2009 01:17am
Quote (Act1 @ Tue, Jul 7 2009, 03:15am)
not really a fan of clapton
just listened to that song. don't really like it. seems plain and simple over drums and bass and other instruments towards end.

i'm talking about masterpieces by chopin, solo artists, composers for films, and pianists a like.

oh thats cool dude
that would be awesome to do but it would take a long time
Jul 7 2009 01:21am
Quote (weasleface @ Tue, Jul 7 2009, 12:17am)
oh thats cool dude
that would be awesome to do but it would take a long time

ya it just takes the first step though
i tried studying music from pianists like chopin but it's extremely intricate and unique
hard to find any patterns at all yet it flows so so well.
i have no idea what goes on in their heads. geniuses..
Jul 7 2009 01:44am
Quote (Act1 @ Tue, Jul 7 2009, 03:21am)
ya it just takes the first step though
i tried studying music from pianists like chopin but it's extremely intricate and unique
hard to find any patterns at all yet it flows so so well.
i have no idea what goes on in their heads. geniuses..

indeed

i guess u have to know the theory and scales rly well
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll