d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Drum Beginner Questions > Questions About Kits
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.00
Jun 30 2009 02:48pm
acoustic ofc
Quote (elitepie @ Tue, Jun 30 2009, 02:27pm)
electric ofc. accoustics are gay sauce

not sure if ur just trying to be ironic

This post was edited by PSPZorZ on Jun 30 2009 02:48pm
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Jun 30 2009 04:49pm
Quote (PSPZorZ @ Tue, Jun 30 2009, 03:48pm)
acoustic ofc

not sure if ur just trying to be ironic

Lol.

Well I've been looking into mesh heads vs drum silencers. And I don't know which would be better.

I've heard that mesh heads can kinda wear on your bearing edges and possibly even break causing damage to your drums. But on the positive they probably reduce noise the most.

Drum silencers I haven't heard any negative reviews which makes me suspicious that the manufacturer is loading the reviews on all of the supplier sites like musiciansfriend lol. They seem like they would work in damping cymbals although i'm not sure if the snare/tom ones would work too well. If anyone has any insight or has used these any of these products let me know.

I've pretty much talked myself out of an e-kit for my first set, so if I can't make an acoustic one work I'll probably just hold off on drums until I can make it work :p.

These are the types of silencers i'd be looking at.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/HQ-Percussion-SoundOff-Standard-Box-Mute-Set?sku=491796#new
Gold: 7,065.69
Jun 30 2009 05:40pm
DONT get silencers for snare + toms
they suck

u lose all the feel of the kit

on cymbals there ok but they make them sound shit
Jun 30 2009 06:01pm
Quote (hellohal @ Tue, Jun 30 2009, 06:40pm)
DONT get silencers for snare + toms
they suck

u lose all the feel of the kit

on cymbals there ok but they make them sound shit

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/30355/mesh-drum-heads

would you recommend something like that for the snares/tom/bass then?
Jul 1 2009 10:20pm
So I went to look at a drumset tonight and this what it includes.

-Yamaha Rydeen 5 Piece Drumset

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...sku=444622#new

-Sabian B8 Cymbal Pack
# 14" hi-hats
# 14" crash
# 16" thin crash
# 20" ride cymbal
# 18" thin crash
# 10" splash
He also had a couple more B8 Cymbals but I couldn't remember exactly what

-Sabian AA Metal-X Ride 22"

-DW4000 Double Bass Pedal

So yeah I was looking at this used drumset(it's my girlfriend's cousin's who is looking to sell it). It also comes with a tuner and drumsticks(wooden and aluminum) and some other odds and ends, and he wants $400 for it, which I'm pretty sure is an awesome price for it. The drums are in good condition for being 4 years old or so, and the cymbals were purchased and used for 2 years lightly and look to be in good shape, just wondering what anyone here thinks.
Gold: 6.00
Jul 1 2009 10:31pm
Quote (BlackKnightsOfFistingPower @ Wed, Jul 1 2009, 11:20pm)
So I went to look at a drumset tonight and this what it includes.

-Yamaha Rydeen 5 Piece Drumset

[URL=http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...sku=444622#new]http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...sku=444622#new[/URL]

-Sabian B8 Cymbal Pack
# 14" hi-hats
# 14" crash
# 16" thin crash
# 20" ride cymbal
# 18" thin crash
# 10" splash
He also had a couple more B8 Cymbals but I couldn't remember exactly what

-Sabian AA Metal-X Ride 22"

-DW4000 Double Bass Pedal

So yeah I was looking at this used drumset(it's my girlfriend's cousin's who is looking to sell it). It also comes with a tuner and drumsticks(wooden and aluminum) and some other odds and ends, and he wants $400 for it, which I'm pretty sure is an awesome price for it. The drums are in good condition for being 4 years old or so, and the cymbals were purchased and used for 2 years lightly and look to be in good shape, just wondering what anyone here thinks.

Yeah, that's a pretty good price, assuming the condition is as good as you say. You don't want something that will fall apart on you in a year. Plus, you can always add/replace pieces of the kit to suite your particular taste. Just make sure you test it out and inspect all of that stuff before you make the deal; you need to know that you're comfortable with it and like it because you'll have it for a while.
Jul 2 2009 01:27am
Quote (Gachnar @ Wed, Jul 1 2009, 11:31pm)
Yeah, that's a pretty good price, assuming the condition is as good as you say. You don't want something that will fall apart on you in a year. Plus, you can always add/replace pieces of the kit to suite your particular taste. Just make sure you test it out and inspect all of that stuff before you make the deal; you need to know that you're comfortable with it and like it because you'll have it for a while.

Yeah I went to check them out, but seeing as how I don't know much about drums it's kinda hard to tell, I mean the cymbals look pretty new to me, no dings in them or anything, and they still look nice leading me to believe they aren't going to crack anytime soon. The original heads are still on all of the drums, which kinda surprised me. The outside of the shells aren't in the best shape, not necessarily scratched but not new and shiny either. I played all of the drums and cymbals as well as messing around with the pedals a bit, it all seemed nice and in good condition.
Jul 2 2009 02:42am
well, heres what i done.

i bought a percustion plus drum set as my first about 3 years ago. its a crappy set becuase it comes with shit heads and shit cymbals. but iv found that if you use the cheapo double coated heads by remo and zildjian zbt cymbals i got a nice sound out of my set. the percustion pluse set was 399$ which wasnt band considering it came with starter cymbals and stock heads that lasted a very long time. then i bought a set of remo heads for 54.99$ and zildjain zbt 14" hi hats, 16" crash, and 20" ride which costed 295$ and a double base pedal was 50 ish.

iv been playing for 3 years now, and still have this set which i now use in a band. i replace heads about once a month and its still a great set. the toms themselves are remarkably great quality, im unsure of the wood thats used.

Gold: 24.50
Jul 2 2009 02:01pm
if you buy the acoustic set, which in my opinion is the better way to go, you can buy sound dampeners for your drums. you can get rubber coverings that go over top of the heads, but inside your hoops that will still bounce like the real heads, but just damped the sound of your kit dramatically. you can also buy the same type of thing for all your cymbals (excluding a chinese if you get one) that wrap around the circumference of the circle. easy to put on, easy to take off. also, you can get brushes for the drums. they make a bit of a "swish" sound when you hit the drum, but that should be no problem, and it will be cheaper than the dampeners.

nothing beats the sound of a good acoustic set, no matter what kind of technology you have, or no matter what model of electric kit you have. starting out on an electric kit would be a major mistake. once you can actually play on an acoustic set would be the time to make the change if you wanted to, because the feel is so much more different. the electric drum heads are much smaller, so if you're a beginner, that's a problem. for a pro, no problem, they usually hit the center of the heads anyway. also, another thing to look at it that the electric kits have a very easy way to pull off rimshots while you drum. this is BAD because if you try to pull off the rimshots on an acoustic set the same way you do on the electric, you will fail miserably.

so overall, get the acoustic set, and later in life i suggest the electric. electrics are fun to mess around with and good for a bit of fun, but are really nonpareil to acoustic sets.

edit: typed this reply without looking at whole thread. lol.

This post was edited by Helbinor on Jul 2 2009 02:05pm
Jul 2 2009 02:50pm
My drum teacher uses mesh heads on drums and silencers on cymbals, they do not wear fast as he spends alot of time teaching on them and they dont break afaik.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll