d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Tips For A Drum Double Pedaller > Help Moi Plox
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,065.69
Mar 28 2009 11:55am
Quote (dysgenics @ Sat, 28 Mar 2009, 16:43)
to start yourself off on your way to 200+bpm double bass, you need to learn stretches - if you dont stretch AND warm up before any  good practice and performance, you will find you have some pretty bad injurys that will stop you doing double bass, sometimes for up to 2 or 3 weeks. forever if its serious enough. so dont strain, just relax. even if your just playing at a steady 130bpm to start with, dont push yourself too much, speed comes in time not by pushing yourself, and im not joking here. only pushing yourself when your TOTALLY WARMED UP and played double bass speeds your used to for at least 10-20 mins. if your dont do this you wont get great results, and theres too many cool grooves out there to only go fast anyway.

Ill explain stretches when you ask because the fact is i still dont stretch all the time when i need to, and when your not over exerting yourself with continuous double bass for an extremely long time (5 minutes without stop etc) you wont really get any injurys...

So to start, you need to be seated slightly furthur back from the drumset than your natural playing position, if you have a rack you can just push your bass drum slightly away and keep the toms in the exact positons, but seeing as you probably dont, just move the whole kit away from you slightly, so your lower half of your leg is at an angle kinda like this:

o
|_
...\

If you can imagine a person there, the standard forward slash has actually given a pretty good degree of the angle your leg needs to be at. and the top half of the legs really needs to be complelely as flat as you can get it, not angled in any way. and you want your bum pretty much at the edge of the seat with no legs on it, you generally need a pretty big seat if its circular throne because you want a large portion of the bum on the seat, without having any parts of the legs on it. BUT on the standard starter thrones (10-12 inch sitting area with rock solid foam) this will be real unconfortable so just put some leg on there too.

explanations:

- The reason your legs need to be at this angle is that you want your leg muscles to be as stretched as possible while moving, sitting like this will increase your legs performance and stamana while giving you loads more control at high speeds. low speeds are easily adjustable to in any seating position of course. and you'll get use to hitting things furthur away from you if your toms dont have a rack, its all easy really - but very important (this is the stuff you usually dont find out from anyone ffs)

- the top half needs to be as flat as possible to give you more leverage and concidering fast speeds are 100% ankle related, theres no need to make any muscles tighter by having your legs angled up or down

- you need to sit on the edge of the throne to grant your legs as much free space to move around as possible, no point in having anything interupting the movement of the legs eh

anyway hope it all made sense and i didnt babble on too much.
technique will be soon

thanks very much smile.gif

u talk a lot about stretches here, what ones should i do :)??

also, are there any warm up things u do wen u sit down on ure kit or do u just play sum simple (simple to u, amazing to me) grooves to get ureself started?

Gold: Locked
Mar 28 2009 12:11pm
i r listening too
Mar 28 2009 12:12pm
Quote (akmal @ Sat, 28 Mar 2009, 18:11)
i r listening too

only cos ure my neighbour and i told u to

i r ure king
Gold: 4.01
Mar 29 2009 02:37am
Quote (hellohal @ Sat, Mar 28 2009, 05:55pm)
u talk a lot about stretches here, what ones should i do :)??

i'll have to upload a video to show you the stretch's you'll need to be doing, cant explain them here

For the attention of a mod:
can a mod plz tell me if i can have a stickie in musicians chat about how to get to extreme drumming speeds. I'll do an entire course on it. with correct spelling this time smile.gif
i really want to help people out with this

anyway, still no time for another huge post so ill be back on that later.

This post was edited by dysgenics on Mar 29 2009 02:40am
Mar 29 2009 05:12am
Quote (dysgenics @ Sun, 29 Mar 2009, 08:37)
i'll have to upload a video to show you the stretch's you'll need to be doing, cant explain them here

For the attention of a mod:
can a mod plz tell me if i can have a stickie in musicians chat about how to get to extreme drumming speeds. I'll do an entire course on it. with correct spelling this time smile.gif
i really want to help people out with this

anyway, still no time for another huge post so ill be back on that later.

ill pm a mod an ask, i have sum friends smile.gif
also, ill pay for teh bolded smile.gif
Gold: Locked
Mar 29 2009 05:14am
Quote (hellohal @ Sun, Mar 29 2009, 12:12pm)
ill pm a mod an ask, i have sum friends smile.gif
also, ill pay for teh bolded smile.gif

ill pay for teh red
Mar 29 2009 05:20am
Quote (akmal @ Sun, Mar 29 2009, 11:14am)
ill pay for teh red

thanks guys, theres alot of people who post stuff about extreme drumming here so im sure it'd be a usefull thread.
Mar 29 2009 05:22am
Quote (dysgenics @ Sun, 29 Mar 2009, 11:20)
thanks guys, theres alot of people who post stuff about extreme drumming here so im sure it'd be a usefull thread.

i pmed tears
he will probably say yes but u could also try and pm the guy that stickies the other guides in this forum
Mar 29 2009 09:52am
Quote (hellohal @ Sun, Mar 29 2009, 11:22am)
i pmed tears
he will probably say yes but u could also try and pm the guy that stickies the other guides in this forum

already done that, waiting a reply smile.gif

ill get to doing some good quality work if its accepted rather than crappy explanations here.

you can embed youtube videos so ill embed a good ammount of videos with tuition in it
Mar 29 2009 09:54am
Quote (dysgenics @ Sun, 29 Mar 2009, 15:52)
already done that, waiting a reply smile.gif

ill get to doing some good quality work if its accepted rather than crappy explanations here.

you can embed youtube videos so ill embed a good ammount of videos with tuition in it

u better!

p.s. n1 quick reply from me again smile.gif

This post was edited by hellohal on Mar 29 2009 09:54am
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll