d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Daddario Guitar Strings - Don't Stay In Tune?
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 19,597.59
Nov 30 2008 07:30pm
i use d'addario for all of my instruments simply because they have amazing quality control: i havent had a bad string (no such thing as bad batch) in ages. when you put the strings on wind them 1/2 step sharp and play the hell out of it for 20 minutes. done.

if you notice it goes out of tune after a few days of constant playing:

check the machine heads, they can slip

make sure the neck is straight. if not, lucky for you your guitar has a truss rod that can be adjusted.

if all else fails buy an american made guitar

This post was edited by juliusjuice on Nov 30 2008 07:44pm
Gold: 4,883.80
Nov 30 2008 08:35pm
From what everyones said, it's either the string type is not good for your BC Rich, or you have a piss poor batch of strings. It's not uncomman to get a substandard set of strings every now and again, after all it's off a production line lol.

However, i suggest changing your strings. You said you like heavier gauge strings, so have a look for the Kerry King or Zakk Wylde customs. I like dropping them to C and squeeling on them lol
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Nov 30 2008 11:22pm
Quote (juliusjuice @ Sun, Nov 30 2008, 09:30pm)
i use d'addario for all of my instruments simply because they have amazing quality control: i havent had a bad string (no such thing as bad batch) in ages. when you put the strings on wind them 1/2 step sharp and play the hell out of it for 20 minutes. done.

if you notice it goes out of tune after a few days of constant playing:

check the machine heads, they can slip

make sure the neck is straight. if not, lucky for you your guitar has a truss rod that can be adjusted.

if all else fails buy an american made guitar

I don't think it is a problem with the guitar as plenty of other strings stay in tune just fine. I will try tuning a set up half a step and beating on them for 20 mins, I haven't tried tuning strings higher than I intend to play as when they have stayed there for a few hours it has ruined sets of strings (such as when an idiot friend tuned a guitar up from C to E despite the heavy strings on it).

Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Sun, Nov 30 2008, 10:35pm)
From what everyones said, it's either the string type is not good for your BC Rich, or you have a piss poor batch of strings. It's not uncomman to get a substandard set of strings every now and again, after all it's off a production line lol.

However, i suggest changing your strings. You said you like heavier gauge strings, so have a look for the Kerry King or Zakk Wylde customs. I like dropping them to C and squeeling on them lol

I have tried the GHS Zakk Wylde set, the .070 was excessively heavy, it was fine tuned to A or A# but any higher and it was too much tension. Rather than those sets with really heavy strings, I prefer something a bit more moderate, such as the DM 11/13/20/30/42/52. I don't like some of the sets I have tried that are 11/13/17/26/36/50, I think the 26/36 are just too light for tuning to D, but the 11 and 50 have a bit too much tension compared to the other strings when tuned to standard.
Gold: 3.00
Nov 30 2008 11:55pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Thu, Nov 27 2008, 08:26pm)
I tried a heavier set on my acoustic a while ago and they didn't stay in tune at all.

Currently playing using a set of 11-49 on my BC Rich Warlock, tuned to standard, stretched them and wrapped them properly, but they don't stay in tune.  Sitting for an hour without being played they will be slightly flat (or occasionally sharp), at least one string will be out of tune from five minutes of playing.  None of my friends regularly use them, but everyone who has tried them said they didn't stay in tune for them either.

Anyone else use Daddarios and not have this problem?  If so, what set/tuning?

Your problem isn't the strings, its the fact that your playing a B.C. Rich Warlock tongue.gif
Gold: 0.00
Dec 1 2008 01:31am
Quote (Makemetalmusic @ Mon, Dec 1 2008, 12:55am)
Your problem isn't the strings, its the fact that your playing a B.C. Rich Warlock tongue.gif

lmao....vouch couch....i sits there
Gold: 1,858.20
Dec 9 2008 02:40pm
I played d'addario's for about 2 years and was pretty used to them
when a m8 told me to try out some Elixir Nanoweb strings, it was like falling in love with my guitar for the 2nd time ^^
since then i've never touched d'addario again ^^
imo Elixir playes allot more smooth then the d'addario's, they cost a lil more, but they're sure worth it
Elixir ftw
Gold: 19,597.59
Dec 9 2008 09:51pm
Quote (Sound of Silence @ Tue, Dec 9 2008, 03:40pm)
I played d'addario's for about 2 years and was pretty used to them
when a m8 told me to try out some Elixir Nanoweb strings, it was like falling in love with my guitar for the 2nd time ^^
since then i've never touched d'addario again ^^
imo Elixir playes allot more smooth then the d'addario's, they cost a lil more, but they're sure worth it
Elixir ftw

elixir strings have poly or nanoweb coating for longevity. they sound good after 6 months, but not near as good as a plain set of d'addarios for $6. btw d'addario makes a coated string as well, you might try them. i confess i used elixirs for about 2 years for mandolin, im glad i changed back! the difference can really be heard in the recordings.
Gold: 1,858.20
Dec 11 2008 03:42pm
well... my dad plays d'addrio on all of his 7 guitars... and everytime i play them i feel like cutting the strings off and put some elixir on it ^^
ah i thinks it's 50% based on opinion
Gold: 0.00
Dec 11 2008 08:00pm
Ernie Ball Super Slinky ftw.

But Elixir are really good.

Daddario arent bad either.
Gold: 3.32
Dec 12 2008 01:36pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Thu, Nov 27 2008, 09:26pm)
I tried a heavier set on my acoustic a while ago and they didn't stay in tune at all.

Currently playing using a set of 11-49 on my BC Rich Warlock, tuned to standard, stretched them and wrapped them properly, but they don't stay in tune.  Sitting for an hour without being played they will be slightly flat (or occasionally sharp), at least one string will be out of tune from five minutes of playing.  None of my friends regularly use them, but everyone who has tried them said they didn't stay in tune for them either.

Anyone else use Daddarios and not have this problem?  If so, what set/tuning?

Ernie ball FTW

The problem is probably not the strings, its the B.C. Shit Warlock

edit: I didn't realize people made similar posts to mine right above me rofl

I only read the topic. I wasn't copying I swear

This post was edited by Raphlin7 on Dec 12 2008 01:37pm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll