d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Problem W/ Guitar
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3,205.00
Sep 30 2008 12:40am
A couple things

1. Make Model and Year of guitar
2. When was the last time you had it 'set-up', do you know how, or have you had it done at a music store recently?
3. If you do can you give us string height measurements (if you know how to set it up) If you don't it won't really help since I'd rather not explain it online and risk you messing up your guitar, would just be easier to have you take it in and pay a small fee for them to set it to factory specs.

Gold: 19,597.59
Oct 5 2008 08:18pm
Quote (DeathDeception @ Sat, Sep 27 2008, 11:13pm)
Maybe you could higher the action on the guitar so the they don't hit the body of the guitar.

he doesnt mean the strings hit the fretboard, his hand hits the body of guitar at 12th fret. get longer fingers, a different position or a cutaway shaped guitar. cutaways look dumb so i advise growing longer fingers and getting used to reaching for those high notes...

Quote (CrimsonOdin @ Sun, Sep 28 2008, 04:37am)
never higher ur action! makes shredding/solos harder to play
mm.. i say dont look for an easy way, keep practising on the higher frets, this may seem like a problem now, but believe me later it wont be.
Higher frets are deffo harder to do a sweep, but with enuff pratice, it will come easily.
Ps: i know this cuz i was in the same position as u.

higher action on acoustic and electric provides better tone than low action. but if you go to music store to raise/lower action and they say "ok we will just give the truss rod a turn" get out of there and go to a luthier. raise/lower nut, adjust bridge etc. the truss rod is made to go in opposition to the neck so it doesnt warp. when you turn it it sets cockeyed for eternity and when you change it again youll notice all kinds of issues. (intonation/tuning difficulty/buzzing from hitting frets that are sticking out farther than they should).

This post was edited by juliusjuice on Oct 5 2008 08:20pm
Gold: 3.00
Oct 10 2008 03:08am
I think what your saying is you have trouble reaching the higher frets. If you play mostly standing up, I highly suggest looking into " Flying-V" model guitars. They have amazing fret access, but be prepared to stand while playing cause you sure as hell can't sit with them and play ( Who the fuck plays megadeth sitting down anyways? ) Goodluck in your search, pm me with questions as I'll probably forget all about this topic by 2morrow.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Oct 10 2008 08:01am
Quote (Makemetalmusic @ Fri, Oct 10 2008, 09:08am)
Who the fuck plays megadeth sitting down anyways?

ah i do when practicing.

and i'm buying a razorback v 255 dean guitar soon.
Gold: 0.00
Oct 10 2008 10:05pm
Quote (drewtx84 @ Sat, Sep 27 2008, 09:15pm)
yep, i have trouble playing the really high frets and doing sweeps w/ it sometimes cus the body blocks part of hand.

any guitars that don't have that????????? pls list them thnx.
kthnx.

edit :

ah and also, i'm searching for a way to practice megadeth songs cus i've never played anything as hard as this before ( only been playing for a year and 3 months )

SG or Strats hooooooo

Double cut-away LPs...
Double cut-away anything really.
Or Vs... cause there's no body up there really...

This post was edited by Derkaderk on Oct 10 2008 10:06pm
Oct 10 2008 10:14pm
Quote (Derkaderk @ Sat, Oct 11 2008, 12:05am)
SG or Strats hooooooo

Double cut-away LPs...
Double cut-away anything really.
Or Vs... cause there's no body up there really...

why would the double cut-away matter unless you're a lefty?
Oct 10 2008 10:17pm
Quote (Jebsus @ Fri, Oct 10 2008, 10:14pm)
why would the double cut-away matter unless you're a lefty?

What do you mean? You have the same problems on a righty as you do on a lefty. That extra piece of body is in the way. You can't just hug the neck, you have to plant your thumb on the body and stretch around it to reach the very top frets.

Err:
Edit:
I just totally reversed the cutaway image in my head but it's still less comfortable. Some people need to hold the neck to reach the top. Dunno.

This post was edited by Derkaderk on Oct 10 2008 10:18pm
Oct 10 2008 10:23pm
Quote (Derkaderk @ Sat, Oct 11 2008, 12:17am)
What do you mean? You have the same problems on a righty as you do on a lefty. That extra piece of body is in the way. You can't just hug the neck, you have to plant your thumb on the body and stretch around it to reach the very top frets.

I know some lefties that play righty guitars just out of convenience. They can't play LP's, but instead go with SG's since the double cutaway might as well be a lefty body. If you're right handed though, you only need the cutaway on one side ofc. A Les Paul only has 22 frets as opposed to the 24 you might find on some schecters or near all ibanez's. Any guitar with 24 frets will have a dbl cutaway anyway, so...

Sorry I'm pretty high right now. I'm tired of typing. I'm gonna go to bed.
Oct 11 2008 07:36pm
If you can sweep you can play every megadeth song every written with your eyes closed
They're stuff is so easy

EDIT: I'm lefty and i play righty

This post was edited by x]FoRsaKeN[x on Oct 11 2008 07:36pm
Warn: 10%
Oct 14 2008 08:06am
Quote (x]FoRsaKeN[x @ Sun, Oct 12 2008, 01:36am)
If you can sweep you can play every megadeth song every written with your eyes closed
They're stuff is so easy

EDIT: I'm lefty and i play righty

wow, then u must be rly advanced in guitar playing????????? O_o.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll