d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Choosing An Amp. > Help.
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 655.00
Jul 19 2008 10:49pm
Quote (opivyunity1234 @ Sun, Jul 20 2008, 12:37am)
lol

But really take my advice and hit up a local guitar shop, after that they will recommend a few things to you. If your still not sure come back and post your options at local stores and we can help you.

tyvm
Gold: 220.00
Jul 19 2008 10:57pm
my bad didnt notice

make sure they dont trick you into buying a solid state amp! You can also look at the blackheart handsome devil + a pedal
Gold: 79.66
Jul 19 2008 11:01pm
Quote (aokmaster15 @ Sat, Jul 19 2008, 11:57pm)
my bad didnt notice

make sure they dont trick you into buying a solid state amp! You can also look at the blackheart handsome devil + a pedal

Although I am a tube amp fan myself not everyone likes tube amps, some people just like solid states.

I myself would go tube but its a personal preference, that is why it is best to go to the local store where you can hear the amp and get a feel for it.
Jul 20 2008 12:27pm
whast is tube am/solid state?
Jul 20 2008 12:53pm
Quote (DeathDeception @ Sun, Jul 20 2008, 01:27pm)
whast is tube am/solid state?

Well to make this quick heres a pros/cons from a website most of it is true

Solid State PRO's:

* They usually have fabulous clean sounds, crisp and accurate almost to a fault
* They are quick and responsive
* They can take more abuse because there are very few fragile parts
* They require less maintenance
* They can be used to ‘model' other amplifiers with the push of a button or flip of a switch

Solid State CON's:

* They have no warmth or emotion, solid state sounds cold and sterile (compare electric drums to acoustic)
* Built in distortion is terrible all low and mid priced amps. If you don't have a huge wad to drop on a Solid State amp your distortion will be harsh and irritating rather than ballsy and ‘rockin' (yes, some people like the harsh sound... keep it in the garage junior cause that won't get you on a stage)
* Solid State amps tend to all sound the same no matter what they are, who is using it, or what guitar is plugged in. Their tone is static.

Tube PRO's:

* They are best known for their exceptional warmth. The longer you "warm up" a set of tubes the better your sound quality and tone get. This is hard to quantify but we will look at some of the physics later.
* They have a tone variety. Each tube amp sounds different according the specifics of the manufacturer and tube combinations; as well as, the tube amps response to an individual player. There are arguable endless combinations of sounds that can be made by "tweaking" the tube combinations in the same model of amp.
* They have depth with fat and thick sounds that get fatter and thicker as the volume is turned up. A 30watt tube amp sounds HUGE next to 200 watt solid state amp.
* They possess supreme distortion. Tubes by their very nature distort sound in a natural and pleasing way. Whether you want an edgy rhythm or a screaming lead a tube can be meant to bend to your specifics.

Tube CON's

* Maintaining a tube amp can be costly. Tubes must be maintained and replaced costing anywhere from $40 to $300, depending on the type and number of tubes you use. Since tubes are made of glass a shock to an amp head can crack. A slight pro to this is the fact that 8/10 problems that occur with a Tube amp are made from a dying or broken tube and can be fixed as easily as replacing a light bulb. Solid state is more likely to require some engineering skills.
* A strange con is the fact that to get quality sound from a tube amp the tubes need to be pushed in volume. This is great if you are a touring musician but it can be bothersome if you are practicing in a two bedroom apartment with irritable neighbors.
* If you have a bad back a tube amp will piss you off. They are heavier than their solid state counterparts. Plus it is advisable to get a road case to further protect your investment, probably adding fifty pounds. Do like me and get flight cases equipped with wheels. But, if you plan to add a 4x12 cabinet to your head, solid or tube, then invest in a gym membership while you're at it.
Jul 20 2008 04:56pm
Thanks.
Jul 20 2008 08:56pm
A few things about the cons mentioned above on tube amps.

Tubes CAN be costly, some people swear that they can hear the difference between a 100 dollar vintage tube than to a new counterpart. For the average musician this is not the case. Tube amps have 2-8 power tubes and anywhere from 2-10 pre-amp tubes. You can most definetly go a whole retube for 100-200 bucks (depending on how many tubes) And if you take care of it they will last years, obviously sometimes you get lemons (they just break) this is not usual. I have a vintage super reverb, 66 model and i JUST replaced the power tubes, and the pre-amp tubes are still working perfectly.
About power tube saturation, this is cranking the volume. It is true that tube amps sound better cranked, but this is not to say they sound bad when they are not cranked. In reality it is just a different sound, for metal amplifiers are made with high wattage so that you DONT get power tube saturation. This often causes your sound to be very fat and flabby. You want pre-amp gain.
My super reverb weighs a ton, which is why im getting a small tube head (the blackheart little giant) which ill use to carry around for practices.
Jul 21 2008 10:08am
I'm going to a music store soon so yeah...
I'll ask the guys there.
Jul 21 2008 10:37am
Remember if you decide to go solid state, NO MGS OR SPIDERS!
Jul 22 2008 01:04pm
Quote (aokmaster15 @ Mon, Jul 21 2008, 11:37am)
Remember if you decide to go solid state, NO MGS OR SPIDERS!

Agree on spiders for sure, there junk.

But MG might work for him if he likes it, check out the music he is into I dont think an mg would be to bad sure its not the best but it works I have played a few that sounded decent for what he wants
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll