d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Guitar Problem. > Pros Come Here.
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 71.02
Jul 9 2008 01:00am
Quote (DeathDeception @ Sun, Jul 6 2008, 10:03pm)
I laughed really hard at my noobnesss xD

i guess it depends on where you're starting from... but if you're copying AFI then you've set yourself a pretty low ceiling. work on the palm mutes though, if you can get really good at them you can use them to add a lot of variety to your playing. they're kind of awkward at first until you get the feel for them, but i promise it will just click eventually and you'll wonder why it ever took you so long to learn it in the first place. most guitar techniques are like that
Gold: 655.00
Jul 10 2008 08:48pm
Quote (hoodang329 @ Wed, Jul 9 2008, 03:00am)
i guess it depends on where you're starting from... but if you're copying AFI then you've set yourself a pretty low ceiling.  work on the palm mutes though, if you can get really good at them you can use them to add a lot of variety to your playing.  they're kind of awkward at first until you get the feel for them, but i promise it will just click eventually and you'll wonder why it ever took you so long to learn it in the first place.  most guitar techniques are like that

Yeah... palm muting right now is awkward and it's soooo retarded.
I can get the sound, but my hand gets in an awkward position.
I don't see how everyone say they gonna fuck me up.
A lot of their songs are easy to play which is good since I am at a beginner level.
Gold: 0.00
Jul 14 2008 08:21am
Quote (DeathDeception @ Fri, Jul 11 2008, 12:48pm)
Yeah... palm muting right now is awkward and it's soooo retarded.
I can get the sound, but my hand gets in an awkward position.
I don't see how everyone say they gonna fuck me up.
A lot of their songs are easy to play which is good since I am at a beginner level.

Only reason people are saying that is because if you stick to playing their stuff you won't progress much beyond that level of playing, so once you begin to feel that playing that kind of music isn't helping you progress further, look into some new stuff, doesn't mean you have to stop listening/playing AFI but it's nice to spread your interests out and learn from as many sources as possible, helps you to build some variety and incorporate many different styles into your own playing which in turn defines your own style.
Jul 14 2008 11:33am
Quote (JoShoeWah @ Mon, Jul 14 2008, 10:21am)
Only reason people are saying that is because if you stick to playing their stuff you won't progress much beyond that level of playing, so once you begin to feel that playing that kind of music isn't helping you progress further, look into some new stuff, doesn't mean you have to stop listening/playing AFI but it's nice to spread your interests out and learn from as many sources as possible, helps you to build some variety and incorporate many different styles into your own playing which in turn defines your own style.

Oh ofcourse!
I know what you're saying.
Right now, I play AFI since it is easy shit.
When I get better, I will be playing more difficult stuff smile.gif
Gold: 220.00
Jul 14 2008 07:19pm
I dont see how people give advice without knowing what amp you are using
Gold: 0.00
Jul 15 2008 05:03am
Quote (DeathDeception @ Tue, Jul 15 2008, 03:33am)
Oh ofcourse!
I know what you're saying.
Right now, I play AFI since it is easy shit.
When I get better, I will be playing more difficult stuff smile.gif

Thought you would've smile.gif Just a lot of people seem to be of the oppinion that if you play something that isn't 16th notes at 180 bpm...EVER...you will lose guitar skillz

Which is rubbish, just make sure you're having fun and challenging yourself when you can, it's the best way to stay interested and enthusiastic enough to improve beyond your current level. (A common goal of musicians)
Jul 18 2008 10:27am
Quote (JoShoeWah @ Tue, Jul 15 2008, 07:03am)
Thought you would've smile.gif Just a lot of people seem to be of the oppinion that if you play something that isn't 16th notes at 180 bpm...EVER...you will lose guitar skillz

Which is rubbish, just make sure you're having fun and challenging yourself when you can, it's the best way to stay interested and enthusiastic enough to improve beyond your current level. (A common goal of musicians)

tyvm biggrin.gif
Gold: 9.00
Jul 21 2008 06:49am
To the OP, also bear in mind that there are several distinct palm muted "styles," depending upon genre and desired "noise" of the mute. Nirvana's palm mutes were fairly far off the bridge, producing almost a garbage harmonic. The metal standard is far more staccato, and just past the bridge. It will also help if you hold the pick with only a small portion extending beyond your thumb and finger, as this will better lend itself to any sort of palm muted section by facilitating keeping your hand close to the strings, and also allow you to increase speed as needed, since you won't be snagging the pick on the strings.

And to the guy a post or two above me, I have yet to break my PR's of 225 bpm and sustained 32nd note triplets, or 195 bpm 64th notes (though might have come close and/or surpassed this one tapping). EDIT : Speed isn't everything, but if you play shred, it'd damn important.

This post was edited by Kellenor on Jul 21 2008 06:50am
Jul 21 2008 10:10am
Quote (Kellenor @ Mon, Jul 21 2008, 08:49am)
To the OP, also bear in mind that there are several distinct palm muted "styles," depending upon genre and desired "noise" of the mute.  Nirvana's palm mutes were fairly far off the bridge, producing almost a garbage harmonic.  The metal standard is far more staccato, and just past the bridge.  It will also help if you hold the pick with only a small portion extending beyond your thumb and finger, as this will better lend itself to any sort of palm muted section by facilitating keeping your hand close to the strings, and also allow you to increase speed as needed, since you won't be snagging the pick on the strings.

And to the guy a post or two above me, I have yet to break my PR's of 225 bpm and sustained 32nd note triplets, or 195 bpm 64th notes (though might have come close and/or surpassed this one tapping). EDIT : Speed isn't everything, but if you play shred, it'd damn important.

Thank you for your input.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Jul 21 2008 07:36pm
Quote (Gryph @ Thu, Jun 26 2008, 05:55pm)
You apply pressure to the strings using the palm of the hand you strum with.

Here's how to do it if you want clarification:

http://www.fretjam.com/palm-mute-guitar.html

yes but place your palm at the bridge of the guitar, where the string and at the base of it
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll