d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Electric Drum? > Iso Opinions
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 9.00
May 5 2008 10:42pm
Quote (keefer7 @ Mon, May 5 2008, 08:46pm)
ok the pro's on a electric drum set is it has alot of varies of drum sounds and u can choose your style that u like

the con's are there are alot of problems with them from what i heard and what i have experinced
some time they will lag if u play very fast, it will play what u have played like 5 mins after u have played it, they will get the whireing messed up and it will have mass problems if u hit the symbol sometimes it will sound off as the bass drum and other shit

so what i would say stick with a nice good ole' fasion drum set
the will never lag or make weird sounds if u hit something else

This dude pretty much nailed it, though there is one more pro of a trap set : it's easy to plug into a computer and record, since 99.999% of trap sets are USB compatible. An acoustic set, while being all around far better, will be an arm, a leg, and your left nut to properly mic for recording, especially if you're a stickler for sound (like having 2 mics minimum per drum, to catch the pop on the rims).
Banned
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
May 6 2008 05:09am
Quote (keefer7 @ Tue, May 6 2008, 03:46am)
some time they will lag if u play very fast, it will play what u have played like 5 mins after u have played it, they will get the whireing messed up and it will have mass problems if u hit the symbol sometimes it will sound off as the bass drum and other shit

Thats more or less nonesense - I got a 400 euro e drum set at home which is for sure not one of the best and you can easily touch 240 bpm without any lagging or something like that (and I doubt that there will be any on higher speeds).
About the breaking: My BD trigger broke after around 1 year because I played it with a double pedal (which was obviously not a good thing because it was not made for that). Anyway I bought a double pedal pad from Roland for 80 euros and it works fine now (got it for 1 1/2 year now - no problems at all).
All the triggers work fine as they should. No sound messing, breaking or other problems.

This might happen when you do some shit with your drums but take some care of them and you will not have any problems.

The Pros of E drums are obvious:
- Large possibilities on your sound
- Quiet
- Cheaper then accoustic (although I would recommend you buying a Roland TD3 for ~900 euros, it is a real good kit for rather low money)
- Easy to record midi files
- Easy to transport

Cons:
- Cheap Kits might don't be able to choke or produce rim shots (again buy some Roland - they have got ALL possibilites)
- It is a different feeling then playing acoustic drums (you get used to easy doubles and so on - better rebound feeling)
- You can not use them in your band, concerts etc.

In my opinion e drums are not an alternative to accoustic drums - they are an addition.
When your not able to play accoustic drums in your home for some reason (like me) I can recommend you buying an e kit (again I recommend Roland TD3) for everyday practise. However you should play on accoustic drums too.

Regards
Gold: 50.00
May 6 2008 08:33pm
Nice thanks a lot !

About the BD trigger are there some extra-hard-unbreakable ones? I don't play bass-drum with foots on the ground, i just lift up my legs ( if anyone understand sleep.gif ) so I think it would easily broke?

Oh and if I learn some patterns on the E drum would it be hard passing from it to an acoustic drum when i'll jam ? Will I need time to be comfortable playing the same thing on each drum?

Thx smile.gif
Banned
May 9 2008 06:12am
Quote (Tyko @ Wed, May 7 2008, 04:33am)
Oh and if I learn some patterns on the E drum would it be hard passing from it to an acoustic drum when i'll jam ? Will I need time to be comfortable playing the same thing on each drum?

No, it will not. The point is that the whole playing on an e drum kit is a bit different then playing on an acoustic set. Anyway if you can play on an accoustic kit from time to time (once a week I would recommend - however it depends on your person as drummer) you won't have to worry about that.

About the Kick Drum trigger - I use ROLAND KD-8 V-DRUM KICK PAD and it works fine. However any Pad with the mark "can be played with DB" will do I think.
I am not a metal drummer but I use DB quite alot. And believe me your kicks are not harder then from any other technique (besides flat foot ...).

Good Luck

Banned
Warn: 20%
May 11 2008 01:14am
it's better to get a real drum set so you can have the right feeling.

i think its weak to play an electric drum.
Gold: 2.85
May 18 2008 08:44pm
ok the pro's on a electric drum set is it has alot of varies of drum sounds and u can choose your style that u like

the con's are there are alot of problems with them from what i heard and what i have experinced

Gold: 1,538.67
May 19 2008 11:14am
Quote (keefer7 @ Mon, May 19 2008, 02:44am)

Quote (Kellenor @ Tue, May 6 2008, 04:42am)
This dude pretty much nailed it, though there is one more pro of a trap set : it's easy to plug into a computer and record, since 99.999% of trap sets are USB compatible.  An acoustic set, while being all around far better, will be an arm, a leg, and your left nut to properly mic for recording, especially if you're a stickler for sound (like having 2 mics minimum per drum, to catch the pop on the rims).

Pretty much vouch all of that. My general dislike of electric drums come from many of them sounding overly synthetic. There's something much more warm and beautiful about a 'real' drumset. I'd rather groove on one of those than an electric set.

Gold: 4,179.07
May 19 2008 05:31pm
Quote (Tyko @ Wed, Apr 30 2008, 09:38pm)
Hi what are the pros and cons of playing on an electric drum? What is the feeling, how much it differs from comon drumsets? Let me know your opinions tongue.gif

I bought my friends Rolan TD-8 a couple months ago. The drums and module cost him $3500 but I bought it along with some shitty pedal for $1000. I used my P120p for a while and then bought my P122tw double pedal. I love it, and I haven't played my acoustic kits in months.

Pros: Many different sounds, customizations etc, quiet and loud, metronome, recording, preset songs/beats.

Cons: Amp. (DO NOT use a guitar amp. A Keyboard amp could work.) I use my stereo, I run a R/w icon_pointr.gif 3.5mm to a converter and into the headphone jack. Works fine, but much better sound is achievable.

I would suggest Roland as a brand to look for.

Quote (keefer7 @ Mon, May 5 2008, 07:46pm)

Maybe if you get a POS set they "lag". Mine has never given me ANY problems. I can't even understand what you said about wiring, but there is no problems with that. That is not true about the cymbal, although you can program different drums to sound like different things (Cymbals making bass drum sounds, bass drum making tom sounds, etc).

I would highly suggest the electronic one. It is so much easier to practice than my acoustics. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about I don't think.

This post was edited by AnBerliN on May 19 2008 05:33pm
Gold: 90.00
May 22 2008 01:08am
Quote (Tyko @ Thu, May 1 2008, 03:38am)
Hi what are the pros and cons of playing on an electric drum? What is the feeling, how much it differs from comon drumsets? Let me know your opinions tongue.gif

Theres some obvious reasons to get and not get an electric set

First off, parents love the fact of an electric set, because it is way less quiet(since you will be playing with headphones most of the time) and it is very convient as to not having to tune heads, change heads, and pay for all the repairs of a normal set.

As for the downsides, it sounds fake of course, so it doesnt give you the same feel as playing a real set.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll