d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Ableton Discussion & Help
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 154.00
Jan 24 2014 03:03am
Hey all,
I'm finally done with college, and now that I no longer play a sport was looking to pick up a new hobby!

Really big into music, and in particular the EDM scene. So I've played around with multiple producing programs and like ableton the most.
Problem is, there are tons of ins and outs when it comes to this particular program. I have mostly the basics down, but definitely would like a little help in regards to learning more!
As many of you do already, I really enjoy music and all types. Don't want to do it forever, but would love to have this to replace the void of playing a collegiate sport!

Any of you know of a good series of tutorials OR are personally good with this program? Obviously, I'd consider myself a beginner in this new adventure.

Let me know here or shoot me a PM!
Gold: 203.50
Jan 24 2014 04:49pm
I can help out if anything. What genre(s) do you plan on tackling? Do you have Live 9 or an earlier version?

We can start with that.
Jan 24 2014 11:07pm
Quote (carmelhockey @ Jan 24 2014 02:49pm)
I can help out if anything. What genre(s) do you plan on tackling? Do you have Live 9 or an earlier version?

We can start with that.

Honestly, I like pretty much everyone genre. Each one is unique and I do like it all. But If I had to choose, electro house, melbourne, and deep house would probably be my favorite.

I have Ableton 8 (Cracked) on my old computer, and Ableton Live 9 on my main one!
Jan 26 2014 06:12am
Quote (PwnZone @ Jan 25 2014 12:07am)
Honestly, I like pretty much everyone genre. Each one is unique and I do like it all. But If I had to choose, electro house, melbourne, and deep house would probably be my favorite.

I have Ableton 8 (Cracked) on my old computer, and Ableton Live 9 on my main one!

Nice, I make Melbourne at the moment as well. Look up tutorials by Peep'nTom on you tube he covers quite a but of Melbourne basics, those got me started in the right direction
Jan 27 2014 11:03pm
Quote (carmelhockey @ Jan 26 2014 04:12am)
Nice, I make Melbourne at the moment as well. Look up tutorials by Peep'nTom on you tube he covers quite a but of Melbourne basics, those got me started in the right direction

Very nice, thanks!! Does he cover all the basics and certain controls ableton has?? And you have some work on soundcloud?? I do have quite the amount of time since I'm waiting for a firefighting academy in June, as of now I'm a personal trainer. So time is on my side.

Any other tutorials you learned from/liked?
Jan 28 2014 08:14am
Quote (PwnZone @ Jan 28 2014 12:03am)
Very nice, thanks!! Does he cover all the basics and certain controls ableton has?? And you have some work on soundcloud?? I do have quite the amount of time since I'm waiting for a firefighting academy in June, as of now I'm a personal trainer. So time is on my side.

Any other tutorials you learned from/liked?

Well, when it comes to the basics you can actually learn a lot from the tutorials Ableton provides for you... Once you get that down and it comes time to structure/build your track you will need to know how to make genre specific sounds and how to arrange the sounds to make a song. His tutorials are good for that.

And I do have a Soundcloud, it's the link in my sig.
Jan 28 2014 09:48pm
Quote (carmelhockey @ Jan 28 2014 06:14am)
Well, when it comes to the basics you can actually learn a lot from the tutorials Ableton provides for you... Once you get that down and it comes time to structure/build your track you will need to know how to make genre specific sounds and how to arrange the sounds to make a song. His tutorials are good for that.

And I do have a Soundcloud, it's the link in my sig.

Just listened a few of the track you got on soundcloud, damn. I do like the style and how you piece it all together. Congrats man.

And by the tutorials Ableton comes with, you mean the text ones that you can hide? I've definitely gone over those...its more the piecing things together, the ins and outs of certain parts of the songs, and the synths required to make the desired sounds I want. In my head, beats sound great but I just need to translate that over to creating them with the programs.
Jan 29 2014 01:16am
Watch some on workflow. Look up synths as well and see which you think you would like... Favorites are Sylenth1, Native Instruments Massive, Sonic Academy A.N.A, Nexus. Those are what you would use to shape sounds(sound synthesis is super hard to learn). You can also find a lot of sample packs by browsing, using sample packs you can learn how to arrange songs by using pre made sounds. No shame in that, everyone uses samples but it will let you make tunes by allowing you to drag and drop things to your liking.

Look up proper ways to use effects too, I would do tutorials myself but no way of doing it. When I get to work tomorrow I will link you to some good videos that are to the point.

This post was edited by carmelhockey on Jan 29 2014 01:17am
Jan 29 2014 02:33am
Quote (carmelhockey @ Jan 28 2014 11:16pm)
Watch some on workflow. Look up synths as well and see which you think you would like... Favorites are Sylenth1, Native Instruments Massive, Sonic Academy A.N.A, Nexus. Those are what you would use to shape sounds(sound synthesis is super hard to learn). You can also find a lot of sample packs by browsing, using sample packs you can learn how to arrange songs by using pre made sounds. No shame in that, everyone uses samples but it will let you make tunes by allowing you to drag and drop things to your liking.

Look up proper ways to use effects too, I would do tutorials myself but no way of doing it. When I get to work tomorrow I will link you to some good videos that are to the point.

Perfect, yea I've seen those additions and tutorials and what not in certain places and in other tutorials I've seen. The tutorial I actually like the most about learning the basics is this one (http://youtu.be/Ei-EPOHfOgU). This one actually taught me alot more than I thought I already knew and gave me a different perspective on how to work in either view but mostly to map out/loop the songs.

Anything really helps though, and I do appreciate the advice when it comes to different tutorials! I probably will have tons of questions in regards to the program thats for sure.

Jan 29 2014 08:01am
Quote (PwnZone @ Jan 29 2014 03:33am)
Perfect, yea I've seen those additions and tutorials and what not in certain places and in other tutorials I've seen. The tutorial I actually like the most about learning the basics is this one (http://youtu.be/Ei-EPOHfOgU). This one actually taught me alot more than I thought I already knew and gave me a different perspective on how to work in either view but mostly to map out/loop the songs.

Anything really helps though, and I do appreciate the advice when it comes to different tutorials! I probably will have tons of questions in regards to the program thats for sure.

I'll post em in a bit when work dies down and I have time to look around. Once we get into specifics I'll be able to help a bit more. Oh, and thanks for the kind words on my songs lol.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll