d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Mexican Or Usa Strat > The Difference
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Feb 5 2012 12:22pm
People say that it'is the same thing as a Usa strat but assembled in Mexico.
Is that right?
So what's the difference?
Feb 5 2012 12:40pm
i forgot the specifics, but i'm fairly certain mexican strat bridge blocks are made of a less dense material. also, they obviously have different electronics. they tend to cut less corners on americans, and the consistency is usually better. although, i feel like american quality is slipping too

but you can find a nice mexican, make some modifications, and end up with a better guitar for less money than a standard american. i wouldn't buy mexicans online though...i'd really have to see it and play it before i bought it
Feb 5 2012 09:23pm
Quote (Derkaderk @ Feb 5 2012 06:40pm)
i forgot the specifics, but i'm fairly certain mexican strat bridge blocks are made of a less dense material. also, they obviously have different electronics. they tend to cut less corners on americans, and the consistency is usually better. although, i feel like american quality is slipping too

but you can find a nice mexican, make some modifications, and end up with a better guitar for less money than a standard american. i wouldn't buy mexicans online though...i'd really have to see it and play it before i bought it

Thx!
Any other opinions?
Gold: 12.00
Feb 6 2012 06:17am
American's use a higher grade of wood. Either Alder or Ash for the body. Mexicans use Poplar. The pickups are Alnico 5 magnets in the Americans. They were using an alnico pickup in the Mexicans but I think they switched back to ceramic. Better machine heads, trem system and fender's micro tilt neck plate. The other extra bonus is the goodies. Americans come with a Molded hardshell case, Strap, Cable, Polishing cloth, the Mexicans come with a gig bag.

I would say the Mexicans are pretty good for the money but the American Standard is a real instrument. There's nicer guitars out there but I really haven't played a bad one in years, (new that is. Some people can really fuck up a guitar!) The Mexicans would be a good working mans guitar. They're reliable, feel pretty good and live, they do the job.
Feb 7 2012 03:22pm
thx
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Feb 7 2012 04:50pm
just a difference in wood. the guitars sound the same its all in your head if you think it does.
Feb 7 2012 07:59pm
i got the mexican one and i was reading reviews, someone said the american is good for collectors, the mexican is the best for the amount of money. ( Especially since i got mine from a guitar teacher on craigslist with an amp for 380)
Gold: 12.00
Feb 8 2012 12:24am
Quote (ArenalElensar @ Feb 7 2012 05:50pm)
just a difference in wood. the guitars sound the same its all in your head if you think it does.

If you can't hear the difference, go for the cheap one. Too bad I hear the difference :(

A few people have challenged me to the blind test and I get it every time. Between a squire, Mex, American. Or a Mex, Mex Dlx, Am Standard. Most people actually pick the Mexican std. It's because it's the brightest sounding of the bunch due to the ceramic pickups. Higher frequencies are more exciting so people tend to gravitate towards them instinctively. I think they sound thin and hard. Also, it depends on the amp you play it through. Through a frontman 15, they all sound the same. Like Shit.
Gold: 13.37
Feb 8 2012 04:10am
If i remember right mexicans are made from 3 blocks of wood and usa made from one or two, which should hypothetically have some small effect on sustain
Feb 11 2012 12:08am
Thanks everyone!
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll