d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Looking For Guitar Teacher And Advice > Help Me Again :/
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jun 16 2011 08:25am
ok, so let me explain my situation

ive been at this for 2 months and a week. And i know that is not a long period of time to be learning guitar.

my question pertains to this though. My progress has slowed - alot. Ive been following the lessons in the book, learned all the major chords, 5th string barre chords, 6th string barre chords, suspended 7ths, etc, pentatonic boxes, first position and ive started on finger picking.

The problem is, it seems like i lack direction... like i can see myself finishing the whole book in the next month or two, but i will have improved very little towards my goal, which is just to play a few songs with good quality.

is there any suggestions? do i need to pay for lessons or just keep practicing the songs i would like to play? will they tailor them for what i want? is there any good online instruction i can pay for? I am more than happy to put in the work, its just that i dont want to spend the next month fingerpicking wedding songs, and the following month learning jazz chords, and the following year getting through another book on chord changes.

What im looking for here is quality instruction. i will happily learn all the chords i need to, but doing countless excersizes for chord changes that arnt even commonly used like Eb, is sort of a waste of my time.
Jun 16 2011 09:00am
just to elaborate a bit, i dont have a problem spending a few hundred dollars on good instruction, i would prefer not to have to go sit with some random person and take lessons at the local place though. If there is a good quality book or pc system for learning guitar though, i dont mind spending the money, as long as its worthwhile ( i already have one of these "learn and master" guitar series books, and it lacks direction i think)

i guess what im really asking is how did you learn to play guitar, and what might be a good way for me to learn it?

This post was edited by blunderwonder2 on Jun 16 2011 09:01am
Gold: 19,597.59
Jun 16 2011 09:01am
learn chords, learn scales (practice untl smooth, THEN speed up). then get a teacher. a good one should charge $20-30 per hour.

edit: a real live person is better than any software/book.

This post was edited by juliusjuice on Jun 16 2011 09:02am
Jun 16 2011 09:02am
Quote (juliusjuice @ Jun 16 2011 11:01am)
learn chords, learn scales (practice untl smooth, THEN speed up). then get a teacher. a good one should charge $20-30 per hour.

thnx for the reply, i will look into this i guess. its just a hassle for me to drive there for whatever time it takes, i may try and do that though. I have already learned alot of chords and scales and things, I like learning in a structured way, i just feel like this book is driving me all over the place though
Gold: 3.17
Jun 17 2011 01:05am
you know what we call it down home.... PICK N GRINNIN... cuz i be picking she be a grinnin... down home we use corn as a pick thats ur problem need me to pony express u some corn... well bad idea the pony may get hungry....

okay second idea get some moonshine.. ill have my pa make u up a batch after u drink that.. youll think u sound like alan jackson...

:hail:
Gold: 1.00
Jun 17 2011 06:59am
One day I decided to do the complete opposite of what I had been doing all along. That is - I decided to only play/write original material, instead of playing songs that I liked by others. Before that, I simply started playing guitar and wanted to learn some of my favorite songs. There is nothing wrong with wanting to learn your favorite songs on the guitar, but it was holding me back. It's just what worked for me. I started by just making a chord progression up - it can be a simple 4 chord progression - and playing it and trying to write lyrics. All my songs start with strumming a simple chord prog and working on vocals. After that the stage is set for me to work on minor details and the instrumentals... They evolve to become more complex. The best advice I can give you when writing your own music is to start off simple - and when you have a basic idea and theme for the song you can move on to making it more complex! One of the things I took out of your post is that you can play songs, but you don't think you can play them with very good quality - is this what you were trying to say? This is something many musicians struggle with when they first start playing, or even have been playing for years. It is hard to emulate the sound and style of your favorite artists. If you learn a song I can guarantee you will never get it to sound exactly like the recording done by your favorite artist. Some beginners realize they don't sound like their favorite artists and they think they are hopeless at guitar. I would take that as an opportunity to find your own sound. It will take years for you to develop your tone and it is better to make your tone instead of try to emulate the tone of your favorite artists (imo). Of course, every artist gets influenced by their favorite musicians! Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by playing the songs with quality. I think it means you still need to work on your tone and touch, which is a huge part of what sound comes from your instrument (guitar, amp, etc also affect the sound, of course). But maybe I misunderstood (= At any rate, I have given you some advice that I have tried to live by and I hope it helps you. I kept that short and to the point but if you want me to be more specific or elaborate on what I mean don't hesitate to ask.
Jun 17 2011 11:09am
Quote (PSPZorZ @ Jun 17 2011 08:59am)
One day I decided to do the complete opposite of what I had been doing all along. That is - I decided to only play/write original material, instead of playing songs that I liked by others. Before that, I simply started playing guitar and wanted to learn some of my favorite songs. There is nothing wrong with wanting to learn your favorite songs on the guitar, but it was holding me back. It's just what worked for me. I started by just making a chord progression up - it can be a simple 4 chord progression - and playing it and trying to write lyrics. All my songs start with strumming a simple chord prog and working on vocals. After that the stage is set for me to work on minor details and the instrumentals... They evolve to become more complex. The best advice I can give you when writing your own music is to start off simple - and when you have a basic idea and theme for the song you can move on to making it more complex! One of the things I took out of your post is that you can play songs, but you don't think you can play them with very good quality - is this what you were trying to say? This is something many musicians struggle with when they first start playing, or even have been playing for years. It is hard to emulate the sound and style of your favorite artists. If you learn a song I can guarantee you will never get it to sound exactly like the recording done by your favorite artist. Some beginners realize they don't sound like their favorite artists and they think they are hopeless at guitar. I would take that as an opportunity to find your own sound. It will take years for you to develop your tone and it is better to make your tone instead of try to emulate the tone of your favorite artists (imo). Of course, every artist gets influenced by their favorite musicians! Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by playing the songs with quality. I think it means you still need to work on your tone and touch, which is a huge part of what sound comes from your instrument (guitar, amp, etc also affect the sound, of course). But maybe I misunderstood (= At any rate, I have given you some advice that I have tried to live by and I hope it helps you. I kept that short and to the point but if you want me to be more specific or elaborate on what I mean don't hesitate to ask.

im not interested in writing music really :/ I went ahead and d/l'd the 20x some dvd's that go with the books i have already. i did some reading and according to alot of sites, the learn and master gibson lessons are rated very high relative to other self teaching methods. so now i have the pdf books, and the dvd's, i may even get the little jam along tracks as well but, I am going to look into getting a real tutor, i just dont want some country bumpkin who will try to teach me stuff im not interested in learning. I will just keep practicing, at this early stage i think thats the most important thing anyway, just practicing/learning chords/scales and fussing w/ music id like to learn
Gold: 862.51
Jun 18 2011 03:49am
Part of your "practice" should include learning a song to keep you interested.
Gold: 4.20
Jun 18 2011 04:26pm
i agree with learning songs. there are so many videos of lessons teaching you chords and strumming for a bunch of your favorite songs on youtube. and you can always put your own spin on them. the trick for me is playing, keeping rhythm, and singing at the same time
Gold: 190.00
Jun 20 2011 01:46pm
Go to Ultimate-Guitar.com find the songs you want to play and do it. Reading and playing tablatures helped me immensely
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll