d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > D2jsp Be My Mentors > Guitar
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 655.00
Apr 3 2011 08:57pm
I have decided I seriously want to get better at playing my guitar...
I had lessons for about 8 months and that's when I became really familiar with aspects of the guitar and I improved so much with lessons.
I had to quit piano recently and am not doing anything with music. I have practically no theory and no understanding of keys. I am more familiar with the piano, but I enjoy playing the guitar much more.
What I'm asking is:

Please post things up in here that would improve my playing.
The best songs I can play right now... would probably be Neil Zaza - I'm Alright.
I love neoclassical/metal/rock and stuff like that.
Paul Gilbert is my favourite guitarist.

Now that you have an idea where I'm at, just let me know what kind of things I can do to greatly improve.
I will be putting as much time as I can into improving over the next few months.

Thanks for the read.

TL;DR VERSION:

I want to get better at guitar, post videos and songs that I would be able to play over a few times practicing them as well as the Guitar Pro tab.

Give me tips!

THANKS.
Gold: 5.00
Apr 4 2011 12:44am
I've been playing guitar for about 10 years. When I first started what really brought me out of the early stages is the song one last breath, by creed. Learned it note by note over about a 1 month period and just kept at it till I got it. Really gave me the dexterity boost that I needed and helped me learn how to navigate the fretboard on other songs really well. Learning at least one song that's way above your skill level....and mastering it....really helps you to improve. Takes time but tabs are out there and all you have to do is practice slowly till you can play it at full speed. If you can play the full "I'm Alright" song you should have just about all the basics down for playing lead. I'm a lead guitarist myself and I'm just now starting to polish my rhythm. I've been playing a long time but there is a lot of things I've just never focused on, kind of wish I had now. I would advise working on a little bit of everything. Learn some Rhythm, try out flamenco style, get your fingerpicking skills up a little, etc... You are going to have to get a basic knowledge of keys, chords (you should already know your chords by now), and what scales to use to play lead in any given key. It's boring, and tedious...BUT...you can jam your motherfucking balls off when you get it to click. Start playing along to some blues backing tracks in a key that you have learned the appropriate scale to. I'm entirely self taught so if you have a teacher that really knows his shit, stick with him. It will probably help you out a lot. I couldn't have played I'm Alright when I was 8 months into guitar playing....it would take me a solid 5 hours to learn it even now.

Hope you get some helpful info out of here. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Apr 4 2011 02:24pm
thanks a lot man, i will definitely take a look a tthat song..
im alright took me about 3 months to learn... and i also am playing the version with the fast scaled work before the solo hehe.

i took a nice listen at that song,
sounds really easy to be honest... didn't really hear a solo...
i like the song... i may want to learn it although i like songs that are always changing (not repeating) with cool solos.

This post was edited by DeathDeception on Apr 4 2011 02:31pm
Gold: 4,807.80
Apr 4 2011 03:06pm
The Animals - House Of The Rising Sun is all you need.
Apr 4 2011 03:29pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Apr 4 2011 05:06pm)
The Animals - House Of The Rising Sun is all you need.

already know this one... just a bunch of chords :\
Gold: 60.01
Apr 4 2011 11:15pm
Quote (DeathDeception @ 5 Apr 2011 00:29)

Nope. Learn more.
Gold: 5.00
Apr 5 2011 11:51am
Quote (DeathDeception @ Apr 4 2011 04:24pm)

i took a nice listen at that song,
sounds really easy to be honest... didn't really hear a solo...
i like the song... i may want to learn it although i like songs that are always changing (not repeating) with cool solos.

It's not easy for someone at a beginner's level (which is where I was when I learned it, I think the hardest thing I could play at the time was come as you are by nirvana, lol). Soloing all by itself gets old after awhile. I say solo your ass off until your interested in branching out into other things....it will happen eventually.

Apr 5 2011 02:01pm
Quote (Quabala @ Apr 5 2011 01:51pm)
It's not easy for someone at a beginner's level (which is where I was when I learned it, I think the hardest thing I could play at the time was come as you are by nirvana, lol). Soloing all by itself gets old after awhile. I say solo your ass off until your interested in branching out into other things....it will happen eventually.

im not at a beginner's level. what im trying to do here is continue to progress from where i left off.
im not garbage... i can play solos etc etc its not all about chords for me :)
Gold: 4,807.80
Apr 5 2011 02:35pm
Quote (DeathDeception @ 4 Apr 2011 21:29)

Yeah, and those bunch of chords will help with timing, shape shifting and dexterity. There is no over night magic trick
Apr 5 2011 05:16pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Apr 5 2011 04:35pm)
Yeah, and those bunch of chords will help with timing, shape shifting and dexterity. There is no over night magic trick

bob man, i know you're good at guitar, i just wished you understood what im asking for.
how will playing that song help me?
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll