d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Thinking About Buying A Guitar. > Need Some Help
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 44.25
Mar 15 2011 12:07am
I want to buy my first guitar. I want to buy a guitar that will last and serve my purposes(punk/metal) and I was thinking of dropping 800-1000 USD for it. I've played drums for a number of years so I know the dedication an instrument takes, so no worries of me getting bored and just giving up. So far the most favorable guitar I've found was the ESP EC-1000:

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Solid-Body-Electric-Guitars/LTD-Deluxe-EC-1000-Electric-Guitar.site1prod516629.product

Any opinions?

edit: inb4 "drums aren't an instrument"

This post was edited by Ghost_Smoke on Mar 15 2011 12:07am
Gold: 3.00
Mar 15 2011 05:44am
>edit: inb4 "drums aren't an instrument"

Who the fuck would say that?

Anyways, for punk, you don't need an expensive guitar at all, any piece of shit will do. For metal, ESP, Jackson, Dean are some of the brands you wanna check out. Stay away from B.C. Rich (They are fucking garbage), Squire (Lower end of Fender). Schecter also makes really nice guitars for metal, the C-1 Hellraiser series is really nice, I own one with a floyd rose. I also own a Schecter C-1 Classic, and I like that one a lot more actually. The Seymour Duncan pickups have better tone, and the guitar has a more comfortable feel on the neck.
Gold: 12.00
Mar 15 2011 07:20am
How bout a Reverend? I'd check out the Sensi RT or Flatrock. Although this company is stereotypical for Rock-a-billy, this series shares a lot of tones with punk. The bodies are Korina which is what the original SG's were made from and the pickups are a bright and jangly. Run this through a VOX AC15 and it's insta-punk. There's a bass boost that Reverend puts on their guitars if you want it to sound more hi-fi but if you're going punk, you might not use it. Still, that guitar would be my choice.

Gold: 0.00
Mar 15 2011 01:18pm
Try going with LTDs from ESP, not only because they are very good quality for the price, but the stock pups are usually EMGs, which you will never get on another low-end guitar.
Mar 15 2011 01:41pm
Quote (Makemetalmusic @ Mar 15 2011 06:44am)
>edit: inb4 "drums aren't an instrument"

Who the fuck would say that?

Anyways, for punk, you don't need an expensive guitar at all, any piece of shit will do. For metal, ESP, Jackson, Dean are some of the brands you wanna check out. Stay away from B.C. Rich (They are fucking garbage), Squire (Lower end of Fender). Schecter also makes really nice guitars for metal, the C-1 Hellraiser series is really nice, I own one with a floyd rose. I also own a Schecter C-1 Classic, and I like that one a lot more actually. The Seymour Duncan pickups have better tone, and the guitar has a more comfortable feel on the neck.

Just a joke I've heard a few times around. Mostly from guitar players.

Quote (SuperOneWingedAngel @ Mar 15 2011 11:07am)

I'm sure it sounds nice, but I've played a body style similar to that one, and I felt very uncomfortable with it.

Quote (Darkshade @ Mar 15 2011 02:18pm)
Try going with LTDs from ESP, not only because they are very good quality for the price, but the stock pups are usually EMGs, which you will never get on another low-end guitar.

The EC-1000 has EMG pups.

Quote (Superchum @ Mar 15 2011 08:20am)
How bout a Reverend? I'd check out the Sensi RT or Flatrock. Although this company is stereotypical for Rock-a-billy, this series shares a lot of tones with punk. The bodies are Korina which is what the original SG's were made from and the pickups are a bright and jangly. Run this through a VOX AC15 and it's insta-punk. There's a bass boost that Reverend puts on their guitars if you want it to sound more hi-fi but if you're going punk, you might not use it. Still, that guitar would be my choice.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/images/guitars/setneckseries/senseirt/senseirtblk.jpg

I've never been a fan of the rockabilly sound. Looking for more low-end crunch more so than old-fashioned tone.

EDIT: Also could use some amp advice. Favorite pedals/accessories?

This post was edited by Ghost_Smoke on Mar 15 2011 01:48pm
Mar 15 2011 01:50pm
Quote (Ghost_Smoke @ Mar 15 2011 02:41pm)
Just a joke I've heard a few times around. Mostly from guitar players.

I'm sure it sounds nice, but I've played a body style similar to that one, and I felt very uncomfortable with it.

The EC-1000 has EMG pups.

I've never been a fan of the rockabilly sound. Looking for more low-end crunch more so than old-fashioned tone.

EDIT: Also could use some amp advice. Favorite pedals/accessories?

That's what I said :P Go with LTD ;)
Mar 16 2011 11:28am
I personally prefer the tone I get from my seymour duncan passive pickups over my EMG actives... Idk, more personal preference I guess
Mar 16 2011 05:13pm
I'm gunna hit up a guitar center and try out every model they have, but I'm not too good on amp brands/series. Can I get a decent stack or combo for like 800 USD?
Gold: 3.00
Mar 17 2011 03:56am
Quote (SuperOneWingedAngel @ Mar 16 2011 10:28am)
I personally prefer the tone I get from my seymour duncan passive pickups over my EMG actives... Idk, more personal preference I guess

My preference as well. EMG's sound generic as fuck, imho. Horrible pickups.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll