d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Two Mergers, Four Big Companies, One Day
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 273.00
Dec 21 2010 03:08am
Well I'm not sure how many Drummers or people who follow the drum industry troll here, but I figured I'd post a few tid bits of information I've come across about the two merges.

The first would be Vic Firth and Zildjian. I'm a little curious as to where this is going to go, I know I read somewhere Zildjian has always been keen on making good sticks, wondering if they're going to be looking to Vic Firth to help with that. Hoping to god they don't phase out the Vic Firth sticks, it's the only brand I use (and I absolutely refuse to use Ziljdian Sticks, they're awful!). Here's an e-mail that was sent out yesterday:

Quote (Zildjian's Email)
is my pleasure to announce that as of today, the world's leading cymbal manufacturer, the Avedis Zildjian Company, will merge with Vic Firth, the global market leader in drumsticks, effective immediately. Both of our New England-based, family-owned companies are well respected legacy brands in the music industry with a long tradition of product quality and innovation.

Zildjian is honored to join forces with the Vic Firth Company which has set the standard for drumsticks in the music industry. Similarities in our cultures and business philosophies, coupled with a shared dedication to product and service excellence, provide a strong foundation for the union of our two companies. Both companies will continue to run autonomously. In fact, our customers should notice no difference in the way business is conducted moving forward.

"I have the greatest respect for Zildjian," said Vic Firth, President, Vic Firth Company. "Our businesses share common values, a passion for manufacturing, and a similar approach to how we do business. This union represents a unique opportunity to leverage our respective leadership positions in the drumstick and cymbal categories. I look forward to years of growth and newfound success."

All of us at Zildjian and Vic Firth thank you for your continued support and wish you and your families a very happy holiday.

More information on this exciting merger is available at Zildjian.com.

Sincerely,

Craigie Zildjian
CEO
Avedis Zildjian Company

The other big merge would be D’Addario & Company Inc and Promark. I personally use Evans Heads so at first I was a little worried that the quality might change (having no idea what Promark was). After a bit of research it seems that Promark specializes in a number of things, including Sticks, Mallets, ect. I was pretty glad reading that, as I didn't want a couple of businessman fucking with my drum heads! Here's a bit from Evan's website (full article can be found here: http://evansdrumheads.com/EvansNewsDetail.Page?ActiveId=2034&Id=942)

Quote (Evans Website)
D’Addario & Company, Inc., the world’s largest manufacturer of strings for musical instruments as well as numerous other high-quality musical accessories, and Pro-Mark Corporation, manufacturer of first-class drumsticks, brushes, mallets and other percussion accessories, are close to finalizing the terms relating to D’Addario’s proposed purchase of the 53-year old drumstick company.

Anyway, very little is known about these 'merges' in regards to the circumstances. I've heard on a few other forums that in both cases, they were purchases/takeovers, not merges. If true (mainly in the Zildjian/Vic Firth 'merge') there could be huge changes to both companies/products. Seems kind of weird that all four of these major companies would be 'merging' on the same day.

Anyway, for those who care, discuss!
Gold: 4.01
Dec 21 2010 06:39am
I use vic firth and I use zildjians, so someone is gonna be getting all my money :D

Anyway If you know the history of the company's they have been through a few things like this, it shouldn't change much :)
Gold: 12.00
Dec 21 2010 08:33am
I would imagine they bought Vic for a few reasons. Zildjian sticks are mediocre to poor as far as a quility drumstick goes. Their consistency is terrible, (which is no surprise! Go hit two of their cymbals with the same model on it!) They might simply use Vic's manufacturing to increase the quality of their sticks or, use their cheap manufacturing techniques and increase their profit margins on Vic Firths but I think that would be a long term loss. The other end of the bargain is, Vic is old. He was most likely looking to sell anyway. Zildjian would be a good choice to sell to since they share prestige as the worlds biggest and long living American household names.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 100%
Dec 29 2010 06:51pm
I used to break vic firth sticks every 2nd week, and then i somewhere got a pair of zildjian sticks for free and ive been using the same pair for nearly 3 months now.
Gold: 1.00
Dec 29 2010 09:48pm
I don't pay much attention to drumsticks, although I'm an amateur drummer at best. I got like a 16 pack of Vic firth and have been using them and they seem to do the job (:

As far as D'Addario, I would be lost without D'Addario heavy strings for my acoustic.
I refuse to use any other brand and, unless I find some other brand that sounds better than D'Addarios (this has never happened and I've been looking for quite some time), I will be using them indefinitely (: It's a shame none of these companies are publicly traded (especially D'Addario), I have been looking for great investment opportunities in the musical instrument & accessories industries but have found that many of my favorite brands are private. D'Addario is a solid company that I would be lost without, and I know Zildjian is great too but I prefer Sabian cymbals -_-
Gold: 19,597.59
Jan 2 2011 05:56pm
Quote (PSPZorZ @ Dec 29 2010 10:48pm)
I don't pay much attention to drumsticks, although I'm an amateur drummer at best. I got like a 16 pack of Vic firth and have been using them and they seem to do the job (:

As far as D'Addario, I would be lost without D'Addario heavy strings for my acoustic.
I refuse to use any other brand and, unless I find some other brand that sounds better than D'Addarios (this has never happened and I've been looking for quite some time), I will be using them indefinitely (: It's a shame none of these companies are publicly traded (especially D'Addario), I have been looking for great investment opportunities in the musical instrument & accessories industries but have found that many of my favorite brands are private. D'Addario is a solid company that I would be lost without, and I know Zildjian is great too but I prefer Sabian cymbals -_-

pm'd. daddario is the king of stings. $7 per set for guitar mandolin or banjo strings. i even use their heliocore violin strings on one of my fiddles. oh and octave mandolin strings as well. for something a little different try "red brand copper/bronze" they have pretty good reviews. my buddy jeff who is a level 10 guitar wizard likes them so they must be pretty good. (he put them on his blueridge BR 180 -very similar to a martin dreadnought)

http://www.juststrings.com/red-7312.html
Gold: 1.00
Jan 2 2011 07:45pm
Quote (juliusjuice @ Jan 2 2011 06:56pm)
pm'd. daddario is the king of stings. $7 per set for guitar mandolin or banjo strings. i even use their heliocore violin strings on one of my fiddles. oh and octave mandolin strings as well. for something a little different try "red brand copper/bronze" they have pretty good reviews. my buddy jeff who is a level 10 guitar wizard likes them so they must be pretty good. (he put them on his blueridge BR 180 -very similar to a martin dreadnought)

http://www.juststrings.com/red-7312.html

Hey man, appreciate the tip! I will definitely be checking these out; will probably order a few pairs next paycheck. I figure I'll get some 13s to try on my primary acoustic (a dreadnought adjusted so it that it can handle the extra tension), and some mediums for an old practice plywood guitar I keep lying around (sounds like crap :/ ). Anyone who uses less than 12s is doing it wrong :D Never tried D'Addario strings for banjo or violin (don't have either instrument), but I don't think D'Addario is capable of making a bad string. ^_^
Gold: 19,597.59
Jan 5 2011 09:55pm
Quote (PSPZorZ @ Jan 2 2011 08:45pm)
Hey man, appreciate the tip! I will definitely be checking these out; will probably order a few pairs next paycheck. I figure I'll get some 13s to try on my primary acoustic (a dreadnought adjusted so it that it can handle the extra tension), and some mediums for an old practice plywood guitar I keep lying around (sounds like crap :/ ). Anyone who uses less than 12s is doing it wrong :D Never tried D'Addario strings for banjo or violin (don't have either instrument), but I don't think D'Addario is capable of making a bad string. ^_^

dude. go buy a banjo immediately. deering goodtime banjo is cheap and awesome. get the steve martin package with cd capo strap strings book and cd added FOR FREE! changed my life!
Gold: 36.00
Jan 5 2011 10:00pm
Zildjian and Vic Firth merging will be great for them. All I use are Zildjians cymbal wise (well except for my sabian k custom dark crash) and vic firth sticks... so now they get to share my money :)
Gold: 12.00
Jan 6 2011 09:34am
Quote (Automatica @ Jan 5 2011 11:00pm)
Zildjian and Vic Firth merging will be great for them.  All I use are Zildjians cymbal wise (well except for my sabian k custom dark crash) and vic firth sticks... so now they get to share my money :)

Sabian K custom? I'll bid 6fg at this rare item.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll