d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Issue's Drumming > I Can't Keep Beet With Double Pedal's
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Dec 6 2010 09:52pm
Im trying to play Save me by Avenged Sevenfold on my drumset
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dchOBArzefw

I can't keep up witht the double pedal, but everything else im pretty sure i got it down.

When i try to keep up with the double pedal, I lose beat or im just too slow, any tips?
Gold: 10,464.50
Dec 7 2010 04:34am
How long have you been playing for this would be quite quick for anyone quite newish to double bass rhythms.

My main tip would be to just practise with a metronome, thats all you can really do.
Gold: 4,807.80
Dec 7 2010 04:40am
Quote (flyingpotato @ 7 Dec 2010 10:34)
How long have you been playing for this would be quite quick for anyone quite newish to double bass rhythms.

My main tip would be to just practise with a metronome, thats all you can really do.

Agreed. I would look at this problem from a guitar POV and it sounds like you have the same problem as a strumming pattern. Get a metronome, practise the beat slowly and get faster.

No-one likes to hear practise, repeat, metronome, excersises, but these are all absolute musts to be a musician ^_^
Gold: 228.00
Dec 7 2010 07:23am
Practice, practice, practice.

After some time, add in hand parts and see if you break beat. If you do, practice some more.
Gold: 389.00
Dec 7 2010 07:56am
I played to a metronome. Feet first, then add hands in. I try to play it slowly at first, then work up to normal speed, just to get a feel of the beat.
Then of course...practice! :P

Dec 7 2010 08:12am
Quote (xEvan @ Dec 7 2010 08:56am)
I played to a metronome. Feet first, then add hands in. I try to play it slowly at first, then work up to normal speed, just to get a feel of the beat.
Then of course...practice! :P

Hmm, I also have the issue with I can't get both feet going fast enough. Anyt tips for that?
Gold: 228.00
Dec 7 2010 09:13am
Quote (tax77 @ Dec 7 2010 09:12am)
Hmm, I also have the issue with I can't get both feet going fast enough. Anyt tips for that?

Once again: Practice. At higher speeds, you may need to do the heel-toe method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSKS9a9NuPc
Dec 7 2010 03:52pm
Quote (Alexcore @ Dec 7 2010 10:13am)
Once again: Practice. At higher speeds, you may need to do the heel-toe method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSKS9a9NuPc

Great video, I just tried the heel toe method, very tiring on the legs. But i will get it. :)
Gold: 64.00
Dec 7 2010 07:00pm
maybe try loosening the tension on your kick pedal or get some new beaters that are lighter weight
Gold: 13.37
Dec 7 2010 11:01pm
Oh my lord, please for the love of god, if you can't play this song on the double kicks and are trying to learn how, PLEASE, DO NOT try to teach yourself heel toe in order to keep up with the speed. You will only hurt yourself in the long run.

This song is relatively easy, but as you said, can get tedious on the legs. You need to practice playing with a metronome. I know you've heard it plenty of times, but go to any serious drum forum/talk to anyone who has been playing drums for an extended period of time and they will tell you the same thing. Drumming isn't something you can pick up overnight, techniques and methods that some drummers used may not work for others, and as such you need to learn for yourself (this is what makes every single drummer unique!).

There are certain things you can modify that may help, not only with speed but endurance. Try readjusting your double kick pedals, there (usually) are many settings on a double kick that need tweeking, no double kick comes stock and ready to play for everyone. If you're not sure what all the features are (I know when I first started using double kicks, I had no clue what to change/adjust) google is your best friend. Just type in your pedal and I'm sure you'll find someone who has your pedal that is in the same predicament as you. You may also want to look into getting different beaters, or even adding/removing weights to them.

Another thing you may want to look at is your base drum and how it's tuned. Adding/removing pillows/blankets to get the right rebound and/or tightening the heads play a key factor in the rebound of your pedal, and can not only help you with speed/endurance, but can ultimately make your base drum sound WAY better!

Hopefully some of these tips will help, and if not, just keep practicing it! You'll get it eventually!
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll