d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Suprisingly Impressed...epiphone Les Paul Custom
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 25.00
Aug 28 2010 10:34pm
I traded off my Fender Tom Delonge strat yesterday because I was tired of it. I ended up getting an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus w/ flamed top. and I am seriously suprised, I currently own a Gibson SG Standard, a Gibson Les Paul Studio in mahogony as far as gibsons go. It DESTROYS my Gibson Les Paul Studio. Its retarded. Not only does it overall look much better, it feels better, and sounds better. Its insane. I will post a few pics on here in just a little bit of it.

This post was edited by MyExitEmergency on Aug 28 2010 10:35pm
Gold: 2.57
Aug 29 2010 05:23am
Quote (MyExitEmergency @ Aug 29 2010 04:34am)
It DESTROYS my Gibson Les Paul Studio. Its retarded.  Not only does it overall look much better, it feels better, and sounds better.  Its insane. 

does not compute
Aug 29 2010 01:09pm
Quote (wh0racLe @ Aug 29 2010 04:23am)
does not compute

I am saying I own two gibson, an SG standard and studio in mahogony. While it does not feel better or sound better than the standard, it absolutely is better in every way than the studio in the faded mahogony.
Gold: 4,807.80
Aug 30 2010 04:17am
Quote (MyExitEmergency @ 29 Aug 2010 19:09)
I am saying I own two gibson, an SG standard and studio in mahogony. While it does not feel better or sound better than the standard, it absolutely is better in every way than the studio in the faded mahogony.

Still, :huh: You make no sense. I cannot comprehend this. Epiphone are boo and Gibson are ftwwwwww
Aug 30 2010 11:07am
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Aug 30 2010 03:17am)
Still, :huh: You make no sense. I cannot comprehend this. Epiphone are boo and Gibson are ftwwwwww

Well lets compare....

Gibson Studio Faded Mahogony -
Body is not solid but chambered to reduce costs
Set mahogony neck
rosewood fingerboard w/ block inlays
tun o matic bridge
burstbucker humbuckers

faded finish that wears with playing easily
and no binding or aesthetic adds whatsoever
a nice looking, but plain guitar

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus w/ Flamed Top

SOLID Mahogony Body
Set Mahogony neck
rosewood fingerboard w/ block inlays
tune o matic bridge
alnico classic humbuckers (stamped made in U.S.A)

AAA finish on flamed maple top (cherry sunburst), loads of
beautiful binding and adds, as well as quality gold hardware
overall stunning finish, that seems incredibly durable

The pickups are a point of contention, on paper you would think the burstbuckers would win, but all in all I get much better performance out of the alnicos. Although since I opened it up and saw that they were made in the U.S.A I am wondering if they are actually not the original pickups but a nicer set installed after the fact. Mine is also one manafactured at one of the Korean plants instead of the newer ones made at the Chinese plants. And honestly if you have played for example any of the PRS SE models produced out of korea or some of the special edition fenders you should know some extremely quality product can come out of those factories.

Both guitars when new where $799.99 (they dont sell this model of epiphone custom anymore, the standard customs are $699 now) so its not like I am saying some guitar that costs 500 dollars less is as good as a gibson, they were the same price. You really get more guitar for your money out of the epiphone, who knows maybe I got lucky and got one of the really great ones and others may suck. Regardless I have been playing guitar for 16 years, own several gibsons, as well as fenders and schecters, so I am not some newbie guitar player who likes the way my guitar looks over tone.

Maybe you should sit down and play a Gibson Les Paul Studio in Faded Mahogony and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus and actually get some experience with it. :) Don't think I am saying my studio isnt a good guitar, its a great guitar, although maybe they should drop the price to match the faded sg's :)

This post was edited by MyExitEmergency on Aug 30 2010 11:23am
Aug 31 2010 06:41am
I see your points, and i agree with them.

However, you must understand that if you buy a STUDIO Les Paul, then you are only really getting 3/4 a guitar. It's much more worthwhile to just get the Les Paul Standard. I hate Studios, but not as much as I hate Epiphone.
Aug 31 2010 10:13am
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Aug 31 2010 05:41am)
I see your points, and i agree with them.

However, you must understand that if you buy a STUDIO Les Paul, then you are only really getting 3/4 a guitar. It's much more worthwhile to just get the Les Paul Standard. I hate Studios, but not as much as I hate Epiphone.

Well standard les pauls are 2x the price of a studio. Now I have a SG Standard, and it IS better than my les paul custom. But shit for $799 you might as well buy an Epiphone Les Paul Custom over a Gibson Studio Faded.
Aug 31 2010 04:08pm
Quote (MyExitEmergency @ 31 Aug 2010 16:13)
Well standard les pauls are 2x the price of a studio.  Now I have a SG Standard, and it IS better than my les paul custom.  But shit for $799 you might as well buy an Epiphone Les Paul Custom over a Gibson Studio Faded.

But i totally disagree with buying a studio in the first place, so I suppose we're at a stalemate... xD
Aug 31 2010 04:30pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Aug 31 2010 03:08pm)
But i totally disagree with buying a studio in the first place, so I suppose we're at a stalemate... xD

Yes. Oh on another note, it also sounds a million times better than the Schecter C1 Hellraiser with the Active EMG's as well :)
Gold: 19,597.59
Aug 31 2010 05:42pm
i dont get it. was the epiphone "suped up"? maybe your gibson is a knockoff? (hope not and really doubt it).
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll