d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Just Started Learning Guitar.
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,000.27
Nov 30 2009 02:58pm
Hi, I've just recently started learning guitar after my friend restringed a guitar left handed for me.

Just wondering what the best way would be to advance my skills quite quickly.

I've got down about 6 chords so far, but haven't actually started learning any songs.

So far I've just found right handed chords and switched them to left handed, and practicing going back and forth through different ones.

Would I be better getting some books or dvd's ??
Gold: 500.27
Dec 1 2009 03:52am
Well it still depends on what kind of music do you wanna play.
Although what kind of guitar is yours ? Spanish, acoustic, electric ?
There is a lot of easy-sound-good songs to start with out there.

Getting lessons from a real person is a good way but if you can't afford, internet is a good librabry.
Buying books or dvd's is useful aswell but it ain't economic.

This post was edited by tOrF on Dec 1 2009 03:53am
Gold: 4,883.80
Dec 1 2009 07:36am
Quote (SharpSticks @ 30 Nov 2009 20:58)
Hi, I've just recently started learning guitar after my friend restringed a guitar left handed for me.

Just wondering what the best way would be to advance my skills quite quickly.

I've got down about 6 chords so far, but haven't actually started learning any songs.

So far I've just found right handed chords and switched them to left handed, and practicing going back and forth through different ones.

Would I be better getting some books or dvd's ??

Books or DVD's are helpful, but you are not going to find a quick solution to playing. It takes a long time, and it takes alot of practise and dedication. There isn't really a timescale, but you are definately looking at over a month to be comfy with your skills.
Dec 1 2009 01:51pm
Quote (tOrF @ Dec 1 2009 10:52pm)
Well it still depends on what kind of music do you wanna play.
Although what kind of guitar is yours ? Spanish, acoustic, electric ?
There is a lot of easy-sound-good songs to start with out there.

Getting lessons from a real person is a good way but if you can't afford, internet is a good librabry.
Buying books or dvd's is useful aswell but it ain't economic.

Eventually I'm looking to play similar to jimmy page/buckethead/eric clapton/thomas erak, and yes I knowthis will take years of possible practise, but that's what I'll be working too.

I have an semi acoustic electric guitar, not mine but my friends, and I'm more then happy to start with easy songs, like rock and that type of thing (staind etc)

Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Dec 2 2009 02:36am)
Books or DVD's are helpful, but you are not going to find a quick solution to playing. It takes a long time, and it takes alot of practise and dedication. There isn't really a timescale, but you are definately looking at over a month to be comfy with your skills.

Cool, that's not bad. I'm definately dedicated.
Gold: 275.16
Dec 1 2009 01:58pm
Quote (SharpSticks @ Dec 1 2009 08:51pm)
Eventually I'm looking to play similar to  jimmy page/buckethead/eric clapton/thomas erak, and yes I knowthis will take years of possible practise, but that's what I'll be working too.

I have an semi acoustic electric guitar, not mine but my friends, and I'm more then happy to start with easy songs, like rock and that type of thing (staind etc)

Cool, that's not bad. I'm definately dedicated.

I'd definately recommend bands like Rage Against the Machine for learning. Really fun to play because their songs vary a bit, and can be a little tricky at times, but a novice could still learn most of them given time.
Killing in The Name was the first full song I learned to play, which was within 3 months of my guitarplaying (I usually settled with simple riffs and the likes around then)

If you aren't a fan, just find a tab site like ultimate-guitar and search for tabs, and also; if you can't read tabs. A guide for reading them :)
Dec 1 2009 02:02pm
Quote (Iden @ Dec 2 2009 08:58am)
I'd definately recommend bands like Rage Against the Machine for learning. Really fun to play because their songs vary a bit, and can be a little tricky at times, but a novice could still learn most of them given time.
Killing in The Name was the first full song I learned to play, which was within 3 months of my guitarplaying (I usually settled with simple riffs and the likes around then)

If you aren't a fan, just find a tab site like ultimate-guitar and search for tabs, and also; if you can't read tabs. A guide for reading them :)

Yeah I can't read tabs yet, I already tried that lol... so I'll work on that as well. Will probably just head down to my local library or something.

I don't mind rage, so I'll give them a go. Just not overly keen on the guys voice.
Gold: 0.00
Dec 1 2009 02:04pm
Quote (Iden @ Dec 1 2009 03:58pm)

I'd stay away from tabs if possible. Its better to learn to play by ear. I'm not saying all but, most people who learn to read tabs only play by reading tabs. If they get frustrated and can't figure it out they simply look up the tab. Sure your learning the song but your not getting any better
Dec 1 2009 02:07pm
Quote (Creeping_Death @ Dec 2 2009 09:04am)
I'd stay away from tabs if possible. Its better to learn to play by ear. I'm not saying all but, most people who learn to read tabs only play by reading tabs. If they get frustrated and can't figure it out they simply look up the tab. Sure your learning the song but your not getting any better

But if you're learning to read the tab aren't you eventually learning the sounds based on what the tab says?
Gold: 500.27
Dec 1 2009 02:50pm
Yes reading tablature is like sheet music with less musical informations. Kind of easier for non purist.
Indeed, playing by ear is a great additional skill that allows you to hear-recognize-reproduce- but it requires some practise, not everyone is able to do so.

Try to work on tablatures and on another side, listen your instinct play alone without instructions and try to follow / decrypt a song (Brain, ears and hands must have some habit and automatism).

Quote (SharpSticks @ 1 Dec 2009 21:07)
But if you're learning to read the tab aren't you eventually learning the sounds based on what the tab says?

A tab tells you where and how to use your hands & fingers on a certain tempo.
Unless you know & can reproduce " fret2 on G strike is actually an A " and every single notes on each fret/strings, no, it won't help your playing by ear skill ability.

This post was edited by tOrF on Dec 1 2009 03:07pm
Dec 1 2009 03:05pm
Quote (tOrF @ Dec 2 2009 09:50am)
Yes reading tablature is like sheet music with less musical informations. Kind of easier for non purist.
Indeed, playing by ear is a great additional skill that allows you to hear-recognize-reproduce- but it requires some practise, not everyone is able to do so.

Try to work on tablatures and on another side, listen your instinct play alone without instructions and try to follow / decrypt a song (Brain, ears and hands must have some habit and automatism).

A tab tells you where and how to use your finger on a certain tempo.
Unless you know " fret2 on G strike is actually an A " and every single notes on each fret/strings, no, it won't help your playing by ear skill ability.

Alright thanks, I'll try steer clear as much as possible.

I still have a long way to go as far as chords go, so this is my main focus at the moment. Switching between them etc.

This post was edited by SharpSticks on Dec 1 2009 03:05pm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll