d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Vocal Recording Hardware
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 22.00
Oct 30 2009 05:49am
so my band is working on doing some at-home recordings, it'll be a first time thing, and i do vocals. i'm looking for something i'd be able to plug into my computer and do all the recording and mixing there. software to do this isn't a problem, rather the hardware. looking into mics online, i've only found a few that are within my price range that i like.

http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-NADPCM100.html
i'd have to buy a new mic stand for this one but that's alright and a good price.

http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-SHURESM58.html
the style of a mic which i'll be much more comfortable using. so far this one's got good ratings online and seems like a solid starter. i also have no idea how/if i'd be able to plug this into my computer and make good use of it, srsly i'm clueless.

so if anyone could give some advice on what kind of hardware i should be looking into, that'd be cool. or just throw out any pointers about recording vocals at all, this is all first time stuff here. we've never recorded, just play at home with some amps and a shitty $20 mic i got at a guitar shop.
Nov 1 2009 08:22pm
nobody huh.
Gold: 0.00
Nov 1 2009 09:45pm
The Shure SM58 is a very good vocal microphone.
Or if you're looking for very good quality, try LDCs (Large-Diaphragm Condensor). But if you don't have the money for a decent one, go for the SM58 as it's the same price as a Low-End LDC but way better (Or so I was told).

Do you have an Audio Interface and a DAW?

/E: Forgot to ask, what kind of vocals? Screams or growls I expect? Then the LDCs would fit way better IMO.

This post was edited by Darkshade on Nov 1 2009 09:46pm
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Nov 1 2009 10:01pm
The SM58 is a solid and reliable microphone, a lot of pros use them on a nightly basis and they are certainly studio-worthy. I recommend purchasing a recording interface/sound card for your computer - check out the Creative E-MU and Digidesign MBOX lines of equipment (there are more good ones, these are the two I am the most familiar with) - they start around $99 for the Creative ones.
Nov 1 2009 10:16pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Nov 2 2009 12:01am)
The SM58 is a solid and reliable microphone, a lot of pros use them on a nightly basis and they are certainly studio-worthy.  I recommend purchasing a recording interface/sound card for your computer - check out the Creative E-MU and Digidesign MBOX lines of equipment (there are more good ones, these are the two I am the most familiar with) - they start around $99 for the Creative ones.

Errm for the interface I'd recommend anything from M-Audio or PreSonus, they all come with a DAW and they are certainly pro-studio worthy.
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Nov 1 2009 10:41pm
Quote (Darkshade @ Nov 2 2009 12:16am)
Errm for the interface I'd recommend anything from M-Audio or PreSonus, they all come with a DAW and they are certainly pro-studio worthy.

All good stuff, I can never remember everything and I haven't had the chance ($) to try those :P I have heard good stuff through them though!

This post was edited by Zodijackyl on Nov 1 2009 10:42pm
Nov 2 2009 07:37am
thanks for the replies. i looked at some of the lower-end LDC mics, seems they run around the $170+ price range, which is a lot for me at the moment considering i'll have to get the interface as well. Maybe when we get into the more "professional" type roundabouts and have more experience i'll be looking for something like that. Plus i'll have a few things paid off by then :)

i also took a look at the e-mu interfaces... not bad! http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=237&subcategory=239&product=10447&listby=

would something like that be what i need to hook the mic up to my computer? i suppose if i bought the SM58 and the interface above i'd be set to go. cause that's what i'm looking at right getting right now for starters.

Quote (Darkshade @ 1 Nov 2009 22:45)
Do you have an Audio Interface and a DAW?

/E: Forgot to ask, what kind of vocals? Screams or growls I expect? Then the LDCs would fit way better IMO.

currently i have neither.

and it'll be growls as well as clean vocals

This post was edited by Wretch on Nov 2 2009 07:39am
Nov 2 2009 11:50am
agh-- change of plans.

i bought the SM58, a stand, the chord, and this.
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UB502-Eurorack-Mixer-Inputs/dp/B0002L05XY

i should be set now, no?

This post was edited by Wretch on Nov 2 2009 11:59am
Gold: 1.00
Nov 2 2009 12:15pm
Should be set. I personally would have bought a large diaphragm condenser mic if you were recording vocals at home, and a problem I see is that if you ever decide to buy a condenser mic it most likely will not work with that Mixer. 99% of condenser mics require "phantom power", and that mixer does not have phantom power.

This post was edited by PSPZorZ on Nov 2 2009 12:16pm
Warn: 10%
Nov 2 2009 12:33pm
DIY is great and all, but if you're any good i'd just save the money and buy professional recording equipment or go to a studio.
Studios aren't all that expensive for the quality of recording you'll get and if your band is any decent you'll make the money back fairly quickly.
What I do is just use the cheap stuff like the $20 microphones and the cheap ass recording software that I have on my laptop then I make demos and I practise until I can play it perfectly then I go to my parents studio and record it. I know i'm lucky to have parents that already own all the recording equipment, but I was looking at the time it takes to record in comparison with rates and it wouldn't cost more than like $150 to make an LP.

Even if you manage to get clear vocals with your DIY equipment, the drums will still sound like shit and drum mics are probably the most expensive part of anything you'll need to record.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll