d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Play Songs By Ear, How?
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 10,720.00
Trader: Trusted
Oct 23 2009 12:06pm
I've played guitar for a while now, but I have troubles learning the notes which are played in the songs. I normally ask my guitar teacher or unfortunately look at tabs.

So, I got tired of looking at tabs and I really want to master the skill of listening to a song and learn it by ear. Therefore I downloaded a program called amazing slow downer. It slows down the song without changing the pitch, which is great.

However, I need some further help/tips. I am currently trying to learn this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOWSNHwph7k

I can hear the open string and it seems like it fits with my deep C, so I've tuned the guitar to drop C. I think the tuning is alright, but I have hard time to learn it by ear. Does anyone have some tips, that might be useful?

I have listened to the song now for quite some time and slowed it down etc., but it seems like I am lost on the guitar neck :)
Gold: 228.00
Oct 23 2009 01:42pm
The only tip I can think of is to just listen to the song over and over, break the song into sections, and try to learn it one section at a time(or if need be... one note at a time).
For example, for solos in songs, I would listen to the solo over and over and tab it out as I go. It helps to tab the song out as you play it, so you can remember the previous parts.
Retired Moderator
Oct 23 2009 01:50pm
Quote (Alexcore @ 23 Oct 2009 21:42)
The only tip I can think of is to just listen to the song over and over, break the song into sections, and try to learn it one section at a time(or if need be... one note at a time).
For example, for solos in songs, I would listen to the solo over and over and tab it out as I go. It helps to tab the song out as you play it, so you can remember the previous parts.

I don't have a problem memorizing, because when I learn the notes I tend to replay them over and over again.
The problem is the first part of that song is chords, the intervals make it harder to hear it out, I almost think I can nail the solo easier.

Thanks for posting :)
Gold: 220.00
Oct 23 2009 03:52pm
Well, yes it will be the most difficult to pick out chords. That is something that you will need to know a bit more theory to figure out what makes sense to finish the chord. Single notes are easier to pick up and simple power chords are easy to do anyway,which dominate most music too. But the way to get better is to pick a song, listen, and try to play it. Thats the only way to do it.
Retired Moderator
Oct 24 2009 06:43am
Quote (aokmaster15 @ 23 Oct 2009 23:52)
Well, yes it will be the most difficult to pick out chords. That is something that you will need to know a bit more theory to figure out what makes sense to finish the chord. Single notes are easier to pick up and simple power chords are easy to do anyway,which dominate most music too. But the way to get better is to pick a song, listen, and try to play it. Thats the only way to do it.

I think I know enough theory to know the chords, I just think it's a question of time. I will just try to practice until it sounds right. Thanks!
Gold: 4,883.80
Oct 24 2009 06:53am
What about slowing the song down to 25% speed slower, and just do it note by note, chord by chord. If you can find your way around the fretboard with ease, it'll take a couple of hours but you'll learn it!

I know this defeats the object, but if you get too stressed earing it, then:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/disturbed/stricken_ver6_tab.htm

This post was edited by bob(Cs2) on Oct 24 2009 06:55am
Retired Moderator
Oct 24 2009 07:09am
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ 24 Oct 2009 14:53)
What about slowing the song down to 25% speed slower, and just do it note by note, chord by chord. If you can find your way around the fretboard with ease, it'll take a couple of hours but you'll learn it!

I know this defeats the object, but if you get too stressed earing it, then:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/disturbed/stricken_ver6_tab.htm

Yes, I am trying to adjust the speed so I can hear it properly. It doesn't matter how long time it takes, it's just the start then I will get used to it and get faster. I try not to look at tabs, because not everything which is tabbed is 100% correct. But yes, they are a get inspiration source. However, I will try to start out with Down with the Sickness also from Disturbed, it seems to be easier and I am doing great so far. :)
Retired Moderator
Oct 29 2009 10:17am
Bumping, because there might be some nice tips.
Gold: 0.00
Oct 29 2009 10:34am
Is there really a method? You can either hear the notes with clarity or you can't...When I learn songs by ear, I just look for root notes first and expand from there. If you're trying to copy another artist's solo note for note, shame on you. Use some improvisation and make it your own.
Gold: 2.00
Oct 29 2009 10:50am
well, i would suggest starting with an easier song, stricken seems pretty advanced imo if youre just starting out playing by ear

(and i also heard most the tabs for stricken were inaccurate)

but like you said, down with the sickness should be a good place to start
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll