d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Ok, So I Decided To Post A Sample Of My "skills"
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 16,417.00
Aug 31 2009 03:11pm
ive been playing for about 2 months now, i have my electric guitar since 1 month.

im alot into pink floyd, and here the first solo from comfortably numb,

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=862435027.wav

what i did is playing the back track with guitar pro and play guitar over it.

please rate it from 1 to 10, 1 beein horrible.

please also take note that im a beginner, and any help is much apreciated
thanks
Gold: 373.50
Aug 31 2009 03:25pm
sounds like shit, but it is very good if you are so much noob as you say.
keep playing :D

This post was edited by kaldemeo on Aug 31 2009 03:27pm
Gold: 0.00
Sep 1 2009 12:12am
seems like you need to do more muscle memory work. (aka, just walking up and down the neck). I'm a huge fan of literally running scales for hours on end when I'm just chilling watching tv. I'll try and write out my warmup, which will help with your finger movement a lot.

E |--1-2-3-4-3-2-1-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
a |----------------------1-2-3-4-3-2-1---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
d |------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-3-2-1-------------------------------------------------------|
g |--------------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-3-2-1-----------------------------------|
b |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-3-2-1------------------|
e |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-3-2-1-|

I hope this comes out right for you. But do that, and after that, start over, but starting with the 2nd fret, and going to the 5th fret. Then so on and so fourth till you hit the 12th fret. After that, work your way back down tot he first fret.

I'd do something like this while watching tv unplugged. Also, when doing the few lessons I teach, the first practice, I work on this (and a few other things), and you can tell a huge difference after 6-7 days of doing this. The fingers just get more and more confident. I also do this before a show for a warmup. Gets my fingers going, but doesn't bust them.

Also, for advanced playing, your rake needs a lot of work, but that just comes with practice (muting all strings except for the note you're looking to hit. I believe in this song it's 3-4 strings before that bend).

Edit: Also, keep up the work, sounds great for that short of playing. I'll see if I can get a recording of me playing this solo in a couple days (moving into my apartment this week, not a whole lot of time to play).

This post was edited by rustyo486 on Sep 1 2009 12:13am
Sep 1 2009 12:42am
wow ur good :-) :-)

Sep 1 2009 08:23am
First off, not too bad considering how long you've been playing.

Secondly - Tips:
-Use some distortion lol!
-Work on your sustain, David Gilmore is a god at guitar (my opinion) for his amazing
work with his sustain and tone. If you listen to his solo's he doesn't play fast much
but he plays with such feeling its amazing. He holds every not for what it's worth so
to speak.
-Use the muscle memory tabs posted above, they will help.
-Play lots :D
Gold: 2.00
Sep 1 2009 10:14am
work on your tone.

get to know your guitar, and how to make it sound good.

experiment with the pickup selector, and tone settings on your amp.

if you are playing something clean, or a solo, you should normally use your neck pickup, but if you are riffing, just use your bridge pickup, and some distortion :P
Sep 1 2009 11:19am
thanks every1, this is greatly apreciated
Sep 1 2009 02:34pm
Quote (rustyo486 @ Mon, 31 Aug 2009, 23:12)
seems like you need to do more muscle memory work. (aka, just walking up and down the neck). I'm a huge fan of literally running scales for hours on end when I'm just chilling watching tv. I'll try and write out my warmup, which will help with your finger movement a lot.

E |--1-2-3-4-3-2-1-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
a |----------------------1-2-3-4-3-2-1---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
d |------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-3-2-1-------------------------------------------------------|
g |--------------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-3-2-1-----------------------------------|
b |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-3-2-1------------------|
e |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-3-2-1-|

I hope this comes out right for you. But do that, and after that, start over, but starting with the 2nd fret, and going to the 5th fret. Then so on and so fourth till you hit the 12th fret. After that, work your way back down tot he first fret.

I'd do something like this while watching tv unplugged. Also, when doing the few lessons I teach, the first practice, I work on this (and a few other things), and you can tell a huge difference after 6-7 days of doing this. The fingers just get more and more confident. I also do this before a show for a warmup. Gets my fingers going, but doesn't bust them.

Also, for advanced playing, your rake needs a lot of work, but that just comes with practice (muting all strings except for the note you're looking to hit. I believe in this song it's 3-4 strings before that bend).

Edit: Also, keep up the work, sounds great for that short of playing. I'll see if I can get a recording of me playing this solo in a couple days (moving into my apartment this week, not a whole lot of time to play).

i already started my guitar lessons, and heres what he gave me to to

E |--1-2-3-4-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
a |----------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
d |------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------------|
g |--------------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-------------------------------------------|
b |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------|
e |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------|

and then the same thing but backward, 4-3-2-1

also

E |--5-8-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
a |----------------------5-7---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
d |------------------------------------------5-7-------------------------------------------------------|
g |--------------------------------------------------------------5-7-----------------------------------|
b |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------5-8------------------|
e |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------5-8-|

and then backward, pentatonic scale minor i think

also 1-2-3-4 +++

1-2-3-4
2-3-4-1
3-4-1-2
4-1-2-3
1-2-3-4
2-3-4-1

and do this up and down

so it helped me alot, but yeah i just started my lessons, so we'll see where it brings me, so far i like ti very much

This post was edited by icp_1 on Sep 1 2009 02:35pm
Gold: 252.00
Sep 1 2009 04:20pm
terrible
Sep 1 2009 07:52pm
Quote (freddykreuger666 @ Tue, Sep 1 2009, 10:20pm)
terrible

not terrible for 2 months of self taught playing though...
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll