d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Muting The Strings With Sweep Picking
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Aug 15 2009 08:06am
im just wondering how u guys do, cos im still learning sweep and i wanna figure out wats best way to mute strings to have a clear sound

also do u guys always change pickup when sweeping? cos my neck pickup makes it sound much better, no overtones or anything, but i can hardly find th time to switch pickup while playing

so anyway to mute the strings do u
1-mute them with picking hand
2-mute them with the last finger that was on string
3-mute them with the next finger on the next string by sticking it next to the last string you picked ( thats how i do it right now, or try to, at least :O )

also ive seen this guy doesnt roll his fingers but rather moves them to the next string and it sounds pretty nice too, is it better to roll or to move ur fingersall along?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmy2S-_W1LU

This post was edited by saume on Aug 15 2009 08:09am
Gold: 655.00
Aug 15 2009 10:08am
Quote (saume @ Sat, Aug 15 2009, 09:06am)
im just wondering how u guys do, cos im still learning sweep and i wanna figure out wats best way to mute strings to have a clear sound

also do u guys always change pickup when sweeping? cos my neck pickup makes it sound much better, no overtones or anything, but i can hardly find th time to switch pickup while playing

3-mute them with the next finger on the next string by sticking it next to the last string you picked ( thats how i do it right now, or try to, at least :O )

also ive seen this guy doesnt roll his fingers but rather moves them to the next string and it sounds pretty nice too, is it better to roll or to move ur fingersall along?

I'm learning to sweep pick to.
I'm not that good, but I'm finding that sweeping is so fast.. those rininging strings are barely noticeable unless ur really ringing them out.
I lift my fingers and it works pretty well.
I try to mute with my palm though... Pretty hard. LOL
Aug 15 2009 12:53pm
Quote (DeathDeception @ Sat, Aug 15 2009, 11:08am)
I'm learning to sweep pick to.
I'm not that good, but I'm finding that sweeping is so fast.. those rininging strings are barely noticeable unless ur really ringing them out.
I lift my fingers and it works pretty well.
I try to mute with my palm though... Pretty hard. LOL

yea.. i, too, find it hardcore to mute strings with my picking hand :/
i dont think thats the good technique tho, but i guess if some1 can do this properly it doesnt really matter as long as it mutes the strings

for the strings ringing, well i guess u gotta be a guitar player or have a good ear to notice and putting nose pick up on helps, but idk, i just want to get it perfectly, it seems like impossible to mute the bigger strings when i try to do it faster

nose pick helps on that but i like better the bridge pick up sound, as most people i guess

This post was edited by saume on Aug 15 2009 12:54pm
Aug 20 2009 06:14pm
no sweep pickers on jsp ?? :O
Gold: 1.10
Aug 20 2009 09:00pm
Quote (saume @ Sat, Aug 15 2009, 09:06am)

Personally i try to mute the strings with the picking hand, i'm new to sweep picking myself kind of. Not sure if it's the best way to do it, but it makes sense, if you don't lift your finger entirely off the string you don't have to move it as far to press the frets down on the way back up (the upstroke of the sweep) and makes you a little faster imo.
Gold: 220.00
Aug 20 2009 09:35pm
You actually mute with bot hands. If you put your finger in a way so that it stops the previous string from ringing it helps alot then with the palm you should be able to get the rest.

EG

lets say you start on the D string. You pick first note, then the second note on the G string you put your finger to fret the note you want but you overlap a little onto the D string to keep it from ringing, or you make the tip of your finger stick out a bit so that it touches the string. You do this for each note.
Gold: 7,165.00
Aug 20 2009 09:57pm
Quote (aokmaster15 @ Thu, Aug 20 2009, 11:35pm)
You actually mute with bot hands. If you put your finger in a way so that it stops the previous string from ringing it helps alot then with the palm you should be able to get the rest.

EG

lets say you start on the D string. You pick first note, then the second note on the G string you put your finger to fret the note you want but you overlap a little onto the D string to keep it from ringing, or you make the tip of your finger stick out a bit so that it touches the string. You do this for each note.

this.. thats how i do it.
Aug 22 2009 08:59am
Quote (aokmaster15 @ Thu, Aug 20 2009, 10:35pm)

EG

i see, but i cant get to mute the strings with my picking hand, it kinda messes my sweep :/ i guess ill have to practice some more to get this

This post was edited by saume on Aug 22 2009 09:00am
Aug 22 2009 09:03am
Quote (aokmaster15 @ Fri, Aug 21 2009, 03:35am)

EG

Now, where does one require these Bot hands? Do I make a deal with the robot devil for a pair? (Futurama?)

anyway, this thread had no jokes, so I added jokes.
Gold: 4,883.80
Aug 22 2009 03:56pm
It's difficult to describe how, as I am vastly intoxicated right now, but the meaty part of my picking hand thumb mutes the strings near the bridge*ish* and my fretting hand sort of just rests the unused fingers on one string each, sort of like you are spider crawling down the neck...

and LOL rusty xD
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll