d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Tips For A Drum Double Pedaller > Help Moi Plox
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,065.69
Mar 26 2009 12:14pm
so, i got my pedal a while back but i only seem to play flam thingys etc with it

im really bad at playing straight

are there any techniques u guy no of??

especially the guy that did the drum kit from hell thing, ure awesome smile.gif
Gold: 4.01
Mar 26 2009 02:26pm
i can definately give you run down of all the single stroke double bass techniques but the pedal your using is really quite important - although the pedal dosn't make the drummer (its possible to get any speed on any pedal with work) the pedal is a big part in playing relaxed while your playing at high tempo's.

I actually hate my current pedal, the DW9000, but i buy basicly any pedal with good reviews when i have the money, just to try it out - you know? eeeeebay is handy, may lose some money selling it on but its worth it to find out how the pedal feels first hand (with all settings to your own).

anyway, apart from the AXIS (which is my next purchase) i have tried basicly every pedal out there and all the single stroke techniques (screw heel toe its for pussys, but can be applied for amazing grooves - i just dont think its a replacement for single strokes like most ppl do), ill give you a rundown of what my humble opinion is of each pedal//technique, right after you give me some answers to these questions smile.gif

1. what is your current pedal?
2. do you want to go pro equipment or affordable equipment? - keeping in mind here complete noob equipment is never an option imo so nothings dirt cheap
3. how fast do you actually want to get? i.e your prefered genres of music

This post was edited by dysgenics on Mar 26 2009 02:33pm
Mar 26 2009 02:52pm
Quote (dysgenics @ Thu, 26 Mar 2009, 20:26)
i can definately give you run down of all the single stroke double bass techniques but the pedal your using is really quite important - although the pedal dosn't make the drummer (its possible to get any speed on any pedal with work) the pedal is a big part in playing relaxed while your playing at high tempo's.

I actually hate my current pedal, the DW9000, but i buy basicly any pedal with good reviews when i have the money, just to try it out - you know? eeeeeebay is handy, may lose some money selling it on but its worth it to find out how the pedal feels first hand (with all settings to your own).

anyway, apart from the AXIS (which is my next purchase) i have tried basicly every pedal out there and all the single stroke techniques (screw heel toe its for pussys, but can be applied for amazing grooves - i just dont think its a replacement for single strokes like most ppl do), ill give you a rundown of what my humble opinion is of each pedal//technique, right after you give me some answers to these questions smile.gif

1. what is your current pedal?
2. do you want to go pro equipment or affordable equipment? - keeping in mind here complete noob equipment is never an option imo so nothings dirt cheap
3. how fast do you actually want to get? i.e your prefered genres of music

1. im using a dw 7000 atm, its got a double chain
2. im 16, and no job so i cant spend much more smile.gif
3. as fast as possible, i like rock/metal drumming etc but im into everything

Mar 26 2009 03:24pm
The 5000 and 7000 are actually much, much better for going faster than the 9000 - the reason for this is because the 9000 use's an "innovative" floating cam (which is the wheel bit which holds the chain/belt round it) it does make for an extremely light, yet sturdy pedal but the footboards just never keep up at higher tempo's. The 5000 and 7000 use the standard way a normal pedal works - making them better for the "basketball bounce" effect you will want to be achieving with your feet when you get your own technique down. More on that later.

The 5000 is actually better than the 7000 for metal drumming imo, but the 7000 is still absolutely fine, quite a lucky choice for a first double pedal, my first choice was the lowest spec pearl double pedal, durable enough lasting me 5 years and still fine when i sold it, but absolutely useless pedal for training the technique i use today.

I'll get to explaining the techniques tomorrow when im more awake

Sam
Mar 26 2009 03:27pm
Quote (dysgenics @ Thu, 26 Mar 2009, 21:24)
The 5000 and 7000 are actually much, much better for going faster than the 9000 - the reason for this is because the 9000 use's an "innovative" floating cam (which is the wheel bit which holds the chain/belt round it) it does make for an extremely light, yet sturdy pedal but the footboards just never keep up at higher tempo's. The 5000 and 7000 use the standard way a normal pedal works - making them better for the "basketball bounce" effect you will want to be achieving with your feet when you get your own technique down. More on that later.

The 5000 is actually better than the 7000 for metal drumming imo, but the 7000 is still absolutely fine, quite a lucky choice for a first double pedal, my first choice was the lowest spec pearl double pedal, durable enough lasting me 5 years and still fine when i sold it, but absolutely useless pedal for training the technique i use today.

I'll get to explaining the techniques tomorrow when im more awake

Sam

okay many thanks smile.gif

my 1st double pedal was a crappy £80 jobby from the net but my school lost it and bought me this 1 smile.gif

btw! ure from sussex, i live in hove!! smile.gif

also, if u wouldnt mind, taking me through a little bit on the best way to set it up

This post was edited by hellohal on Mar 26 2009 03:42pm
Mar 28 2009 07:00am
Quote (hellohal @ Thu, Mar 26 2009, 09:27pm)
okay many thanks smile.gif

my 1st double pedal was a crappy £80 jobby from the net but my school lost it and bought me this 1 smile.gif

btw! ure from sussex, i live in hove!! smile.gif

also, if u wouldnt mind, taking me through a little bit on the best way to set it up

really? i live in worthing, so your 9 miles away from me... random stuff.. very random... in that case you can donate me some fg for giving you personal lessons in your very area!! biggrin.gif

damn i wish my equipment got lost by my old school, pretty damn good upgrade you got there!

ill be online properly later on to give you the way you position yourself and starting out on the techniques, just off to town right now.

speak to you later

This post was edited by dysgenics on Mar 28 2009 07:02am
Mar 28 2009 07:01am
Quote (dysgenics @ Sat, 28 Mar 2009, 13:00)
really? i love in worthing, so your 9 miles away from me... random stuff.. very random...

damn i wish my equipment got lost by my school, pretty damn good upgrade you got there!

ill be online properly later on to give you the way you position yourself and starting out on the techniques, just off to town right now.

speak to you later

okay smile.gif

go to drum cavern and buy sum drum stuff xD
Mar 28 2009 07:05am
Quote (hellohal @ Sat, Mar 28 2009, 01:01pm)
okay smile.gif

go to drum cavern and buy sum drum stuff xD

mate, that reply took you less than 26 seconds! didnt even get my edit :D... theres gotta be something wrong with you tongue.gif jsp on the brain!

anyway speak to you soon.. drum cavern pwns btw ^^

This post was edited by dysgenics on Mar 28 2009 07:06am
Mar 28 2009 07:06am
Quote (dysgenics @ Sat, 28 Mar 2009, 13:05)
mate, that reply took you less than 26 seconds! didnt even get my edit :D... theres gotta be something wrong with you tongue.gif jsp on the brain!

anyway speak to you soon.. drum cavern pwns btw ^^

im on jsp atm, and i track topics and look at them all the time!!

speeedy reply smile.gif
have fun in town
Mar 28 2009 10:43am
to start yourself off on your way to 200+bpm double bass, you need to learn stretches - if you dont stretch AND warm up before any good practice and performance, you will find you have some pretty bad injurys that will stop you doing double bass, sometimes for up to 2 or 3 weeks. forever if its serious enough. so dont strain, just relax. even if your just playing at a steady 130bpm to start with, dont push yourself too much, speed comes in time not by pushing yourself, and im not joking here. only pushing yourself when your TOTALLY WARMED UP and played double bass speeds your used to for at least 10-20 mins. if your dont do this you wont get great results, and theres too many cool grooves out there to only go fast anyway.

Ill explain stretches when you ask because the fact is i still dont stretch all the time when i need to, and when your not over exerting yourself with continuous double bass for an extremely long time (5 minutes without stop etc) you wont really get any injurys...

So to start, you need to be seated slightly furthur back from the drumset than your natural playing position, if you have a rack you can just push your bass drum slightly away and keep the toms in the exact positons, but seeing as you probably dont, just move the whole kit away from you slightly, so your lower half of your leg is at an angle kinda like this:

o
|_
...\

If you can imagine a person there, the standard forward slash has actually given a pretty good degree of the angle your leg needs to be at. and the top half of the legs really needs to be complelely as flat as you can get it, not angled in any way. and you want your bum pretty much at the edge of the seat with no legs on it, you generally need a pretty big seat if its circular throne because you want a large portion of the bum on the seat, without having any parts of the legs on it. BUT on the standard starter thrones (10-12 inch sitting area with rock solid foam) this will be real unconfortable so just put some leg on there too.

explanations:

- The reason your legs need to be at this angle is that you want your leg muscles to be as stretched as possible while moving, sitting like this will increase your legs performance and stamana while giving you loads more control at high speeds. low speeds are easily adjustable to in any seating position of course. and you'll get use to hitting things furthur away from you if your toms dont have a rack, its all easy really - but very important (this is the stuff you usually dont find out from anyone ffs)

- the top half needs to be as flat as possible to give you more leverage and concidering fast speeds are 100% ankle related, theres no need to make any muscles tighter by having your legs angled up or down

- you need to sit on the edge of the throne to grant your legs as much free space to move around as possible, no point in having anything interupting the movement of the legs eh

anyway hope it all made sense and i didnt babble on too much.
technique will be soon

This post was edited by dysgenics on Mar 28 2009 10:46am
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll