d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Iso Songs To Learn On The Guitar > By Tabs
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 124.00
Oct 1 2008 01:10pm
I've recently started to play the guitar which I haven't touched for many years.
I played the guitar during one year when I was younger so I know many of the basic chords and some barre chords.
But my new found love to learn is nice riffs by tabs.

Songs that I've learned the last days:
REM - Everybody hurts
Metallica - Nothing else matters
Foo Fighters - The pretender
ATM trying to learn: Metallica - Unforgiven 2

I want simular songs with nice riffs to learn, not to easy ones like smoke on the water and such.
I play both acustic and electric and I want to learn bends. So songs with a few bends aswell as hammer-ons and pull-loffs would be cool.
Also been trying to learn solos but my fingers ain't fast enough, but if you have some not to complicated solos that I can learn on the electrical guitar it would be nice.

I'm using www.ultimate-guitar.com to find the tabs and youtube to listen to the rhytm.
I've seen that you can use programs insteed like Guitar Pro(?). Anyone used it, is it worth getting?

Regards.

This post was edited by My_Lesson on Oct 1 2008 01:13pm
Gold: 2.57
Oct 1 2008 02:01pm
I'd really reccomend not getting into tabs too much. I mean it's fun to play your favorite songs and all, but it's just not a way to learn guitar.

You see, playing Tablature is not playing guitar. you are just following a memorized script. Music is about creating something of your own and improvising.

If all you know is tablature, you can't just pick up your guitar and play. You can only play songs that you have learned via tabs.

Not that TABS ARE THE DEVIL or anything, I just hate tab kiddies with a passion.

anyways, yeah guitar pro is good. you can easily torrent it.

Gold: 1,003.45
Oct 1 2008 04:19pm
Quote (wh0racLe @ Wed, Oct 1 2008, 02:01pm)
Music is about creating something of your own and improvising.
o, ok then.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 30%
Oct 5 2008 08:58pm
all those songs suck.

learn porcupine tree or dream theater songs

try learning erotomania by dt
or blackest eyes by pt
or arriving somewhere by pt
Gold: 271.72
Oct 5 2008 09:34pm
Quote (PraizeAllah @ Sun, Oct 5 2008, 07:58pm)
all those songs suck.

learn porcupine tree or dream theater songs

try learning erotomania by dt
or blackest eyes by pt
or arriving somewhere by pt

I second learning arriving somewhere but not here. That little solo at 8:50 is so soothing to play.
Gold: 0.00
Oct 6 2008 02:54am
Quote (wh0racLe @ Thu, Oct 2 2008, 06:01am)
I'd really reccomend not getting  into tabs too much. I mean it's fun to play your favorite songs and all, but it's just not a way to learn guitar.

You see, playing Tablature is not playing guitar. you are just following a memorized script. Music is about creating something of your own and improvising.

If all you know is tablature, you can't just pick up your guitar and play. You can only play songs that you have learned via tabs.

Not that TABS ARE THE DEVIL or anything, I just hate tab kiddies with a passion.

anyways, yeah guitar pro is good. you can easily torrent it.

w........t.........f

do you expect to be able to pick up a guitar and "just play" without having first learnt some material to give you an idea of how to play said instrument? (not that i'm saying you can't already play TS)

seriously i can't work out why so many people in this forum think that playing original material and improvising is all there is to guitar...or any instrument for that matter.

You're right in one regard that you don't want to be in the position of just playing tabs and the most generic songs that everyone learns to play, and not be able to do anything else but that.....but that requires a learning curve....you don't simply step into the shoes of a great songwriter or improv jazz guitarist and play away, you have to learn the fundamentals of how to do this.

Now i'm not saying tabs are the be all end all of learning guitar, far from it.....but they are a significantly helpful tool in learning how to fine tune your own methods of "creating something of your own and improvising"

Personally i don't like using tabs that much either, because i feel that a decent cover of a song should have your own adaptations thrown in, however small. But that doesn't mean i'm about to write off their usefulness and significance in grasping the potential and fundamentals of your playing style.

For those of you who play only originals and improvise.....tell me this....from where do you get your influences, from where do your ideas spawn and from where did you craft your playing style.

Because listening and playing the music that you love, and as wide a variety of music that you can....is one of the best ways to do this.

TS says he wants to learn how to use bends properly, is he meant to come up with this technique by himself by playing originals. I don't think so.

On Topic:

Guitar Pro is a really useful program, if you feel like going freeware, Powertab is another similarly useful one.

As far as learning bends goes i would reccomend learning a few blues tunes, they really focus on that kind of stuff a lot. If you're talkin electric then, Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan are both pretty sweet, they use hammers/pull-offs frequently too so you'll probably get a lot out of learning a few songs of theirs.

Learning to play faster solos, dream theater and all that posted above is definately fast enough, but just make sure you're practicing at a speed you're comfortable with, and slowly increase the tempo until you can play it comfortably at faster speeds, you'll gradually get it up to speed and be a lot cleaner and better sounding than if you just try to make your fingers work fast enough from the get go.

I like that you're playing acoustic too, keep that up...it will probably help increase your fretting hand dexterity which will help with the solo stuff in the end.

But yeah definately consider guitar pro or power tab, it will help you with rhythm a lot more than listening on youtube will, especially at faster speeds.
Gold: 31.01
Oct 7 2008 02:11am
play canon rock, i love it
Gold: 33.90
Oct 7 2008 09:32pm
I'd like to comment on the guitar tabs.
i'm on ultimate-guitar all the time, literally like everyday.
If it wasn't for Ultimate-guitar and you-tube i would still be at a road block(for you who have been playing guitar for a while know what im talking about).
I am currently investing 75% of my time into learning scales/arpeggios. Guitar Pro is excellent and i wouldn't recommend anything else IMHO. i'm not sure how to use torrents to DL GP 5 but i have multiple computers and just DL the trials and keep the files saved on the computers.
Good luck on your guitar experiences. It quickly becomes an enjoyable part of your life.
Gold: 2,496.00
Oct 8 2008 03:40am
Quote (Yalla @ Wed, Oct 8 2008, 03:32am)
I'd like to comment on the guitar tabs.
i'm on ultimate-guitar all the time, literally like everyday.
If
it wasn't for Ultimate-guitar and you-tube i would still be at a road
block(for you who have been playing guitar for a while know what im
talking about).
I am currently investing 75% of my time into
learning scales/arpeggios. Guitar Pro is excellent and i wouldn't
recommend anything else IMHO. i'm not sure how to use torrents to DL GP
5 but i have multiple computers and just DL the trials and keep the
files saved on the computers.
Good luck on your guitar experiences. It quickly becomes an enjoyable part of your life.

I'm looking for scales atm smile.gif Could you recommend a site that lists them in tabs ?
Or are they on ultimae-guitar, if yes i can't find them..

Yeah, vouch on guitar Pro, awesome tool !
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Oct 8 2008 08:51am
go to guitar center and buy the guitar grimoire.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll