d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Someone Help With My Amp. > Feedback Is Too Much.
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 655.00
Aug 16 2008 06:23pm
So I have this massive Roland Jazz Chorus - 50, but I don't know how to use.
I need someone to help me with the controls so that it don't give feedback when I turn my distortion pedal on.
The volume I like it to be on is 2.
That's the max I'm going, or else it gonna break windows.
Treble:
Bass:
Distortion:
Reverb:
Speed:
Depth:
Then there's a 3 way switch for Vib or Chorus.
Please fill in those sections for me.

My pedal settings are:

Low: Pointing West
Level:Max
Mid: Pointing North West
MId Freq: Pointing West
High: POinting North West
Gain: Max

I want to be sounding sorta like a heavy distortion, almost metal, but not quite.
Something like slipknot would be nice.

The reason I put directions is because there are no numbers, and there are 7 big lines, with 3 small in between each level... so yeah, I didn't use numbers.
Please help and if it sounds awesome, i donate.

This post was edited by DeathDeception on Aug 16 2008 06:26pm
Gold: 0.00
Aug 16 2008 06:30pm
Quote (DeathDeception @ Sat, Aug 16 2008, 08:23pm)
So I have this massive Roland Jazz Chorus - 50, but I don't know how to use.
I need someone to help me with the controls so that it don't give feedback when I turn my distortion pedal on.
The volume I like it to be on is 2.
That's the max I'm going, or else it gonna break windows.
Treble:
Bass:
Distortion:
Reverb:
Speed:
Depth:
Then there's a 3 way switch for Vib or Chorus.
Please fill in those sections for me.

My pedal settings are:

Low: Pointing West
Level:Max
Mid: Pointing North West
MId Freq: Pointing West
High: POinting North West
Gain: Max

I want to be sounding sorta like a heavy distortion, almost metal, but not quite.
Something like slipknot would be nice.

The reason I put directions is because there are no numbers, and there are 7 big lines, with 3 small in between each level... so yeah, I didn't use numbers.
Please help and if it sounds awesome, i donate.

Gain does most part of the feedback I think, because it is on my amp biggrin.gif

This post was edited by Darkshade on Aug 16 2008 06:30pm
Aug 16 2008 06:34pm
So are you saying I should turn it off or what?
Aug 16 2008 06:46pm
Quote (DeathDeception @ Sat, Aug 16 2008, 08:34pm)
So are you saying I should turn it off or what?

No, that's pretty much what makes the heavy distortion.... Hmm I dunno really how to get totally rid of the feedback, dunno if it's even possible since there's always a slight feedback...

Try to turn down a bit the gain to see if it helps, if not than sorry can't help you sad.gif
Aug 16 2008 06:52pm
Quote (Darkshade @ Sat, Aug 16 2008, 08:46pm)
No, that's pretty much what makes the heavy distortion.... Hmm I dunno really how to get totally rid of the feedback, dunno if it's even possible since there's always a slight feedback...

Try to turn down a bit the gain to see if it helps, if not than sorry can't help you sad.gif

I want as less feeedback as possible.
Aug 16 2008 06:58pm
How close to the amp are you when you play? If right next to it, play across the room. Sometimes (with certain models of any brand) being too close can create feedback.
Aug 16 2008 07:01pm
Quote (DeathLever @ Sat, Aug 16 2008, 08:58pm)
How close to the amp are you when you play? If right next to it, play across the room. Sometimes (with certain models of any brand) being too close can create feedback.

i play right beside, and I plan on staying like that cuz it's where my computer is lol.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Aug 16 2008 09:31pm
Treble: 7-8
Bass:7-8
Distortion:low or off
Reverb:all up to you. If you want to sound like Slipknot, keep it off. If you are playing leads, you should use some.
Speed/Depth:This is probably labeled vibrato, which is actually a misnomer for tremolo. Use it sparingly, but when you do, match up the speed with your tempo.

Pedal: There settings are from 1 to 10. 1 is off, 10 is highest. There aren't exact, so just figure out what they would be on your pedal.

Low: between 6 and 9. Keep this relatively balanced with your Bass - It's very easy to sound too bassy or too trebly. My amp is very bassy, so I like to keep my treble at 8 and my bass at 7. I typically have them balanced at 9 on my practice amp.
Level:depending on the pedal, this should usually be either at 2-3, or maxed. This depends on the tone you're looking for, but more importantly it will vary with your pedal choice.
Mid:around 2 if you want really scooped sounds. I like my mids more near 4-5 for a fuller tone.
MId Freq:I dunno. Mess around with it huh.gif
High: between 6 and 9
Gain:Should be max if you want to sound like slipknot. I don't recommend learning to play guitar based off of slipknot's style, but that's up to you. A general rule about playing live is that you don't need near as much distortion as you think you do, so keep that in mind. Gain doesn't always have to be maxed.

What kind of pedal do you have? This will actually have an effect on what settings you should use. Most importantly, play around with your settings until you find something you like. I've been playing guitar for 6 years, and I've had my current amp for two years. I still play around with the settings every time I use it, depending on my mood.

As for the feedback, make sure you have the distortion on your amp turned off. When you're not playing, disengage your distortion pedal and it should cut out the feedback. You're going to get some amount of feedback no matter what if you're using distortion, but turning the volume off on your guitar will help a lot. As to excessive feedback while you're playing, face your guitar away from your amp while you play, or play in a configuration where your guitar isn't in front of your speakers. Make sure your guitar is properly shielded, and that you don't have faulty cables. If the feedback is getting to be too much, use headphones to practice. Feedback is caused by your guitar picking up the signal from your amp, and then sending it back through your amp, being amplified, etc... If you're using headphones, your guitar won't feed anything back.
Aug 16 2008 10:49pm
Quote (Jebsus @ Sat, Aug 16 2008, 11:31pm)
Treble: 7-8
Bass:7-8
Distortion:low or off
Reverb:all up to you. If you want to sound like Slipknot, keep it off. If you are playing leads, you should use some.
Speed/Depth:This is probably labeled vibrato, which is actually a misnomer for tremolo. Use it sparingly, but when you do, match up the speed with your tempo.

Pedal: There settings are from 1 to 10. 1 is off, 10 is highest. There aren't exact, so just figure out what they would be on your pedal.

Low:  between 6 and 9. Keep this relatively balanced with your Bass - It's very easy to sound too bassy or too trebly. My amp is very bassy, so I like to keep my treble at 8 and my bass at 7. I typically have them balanced at 9 on my practice amp.
Level:depending on the pedal, this should usually be either at 2-3, or maxed. This depends on the tone you're looking for, but more importantly it will vary with your pedal choice.
Mid:around 2 if you want really scooped sounds. I like my mids more near 4-5 for a fuller tone.
MId Freq:I dunno. Mess around with it huh.gif
High: between 6 and 9
Gain:Should be max if you want to sound like slipknot. I don't recommend learning to play guitar based off of slipknot's style, but that's up to you. A general rule about playing live is that you don't need near as much distortion as you think you do, so keep that in mind. Gain doesn't always have to be maxed.

What kind of pedal do you have? This will actually have an effect on what settings you should use. Most importantly, play around with your settings until you find something you like. I've been playing guitar for 6 years, and I've had my current amp for two years. I still play around with the settings every time I use it, depending on my mood.

As for the feedback, make sure you have the distortion on your amp turned off. When you're not playing, disengage your distortion pedal and it should cut out the feedback. You're going to get some amount of feedback no matter what if you're using distortion, but turning the volume off on your guitar will help a lot. As to excessive feedback while you're playing, face your guitar away from your amp while you play, or play in a configuration where your guitar isn't in front of your speakers. Make sure your guitar is properly shielded, and that you don't have faulty cables. If the feedback is getting to be too much, use headphones to practice. Feedback is caused by your guitar picking up the signal from your amp, and then sending it back through your amp, being amplified, etc... If you're using headphones, your guitar won't feed anything back.

Thank you very much man.
I will make sure I check this out.
You are first useful poster.
I use a Digitech Distortion Factory 7.
I set my pedal on the 5th setting.
So yeah...
I'm not learning off of Slipknot lol.
The distortion used with their guitar is the sound I'm looking for.
Thanks again.

This post was edited by DeathDeception on Aug 16 2008 10:52pm
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Aug 16 2008 11:25pm
Quote (DeathDeception @ Sun, Aug 17 2008, 12:49am)
Thank you very much man.
I will make sure I check this out.
You are first useful poster.
I use a Digitech Distortion Factory 7.
I set my pedal on the 5th setting.
So yeah...
I'm not learning off of Slipknot lol.
The distortion used with their guitar is the sound I'm looking for.
Thanks again.

No problem, man. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me if I don't post here quickly enough. Like I said though, these are settings that work for me but they are by no means universal. Depending on your playing style, the things I suggested might sound horrible. The only real way to figure out the best sound is to play around with your settings smile.gif
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll